BostonBrew

Has Tiger Woods Already Beat Sam Snead's Record?

17 posts / 3659 viewsLast Reply

Just read an interesting piece on Golf.com. They claim to have done some research and some of Sam Snead's wins shouldn't count while others should. In sum, his total wins number should be 74, not 82. Tiger is currently at 78. I know Jack Nicklaus' record of 18 Majors is the one that gets all of the attention, but Snead's has to be right behind it.

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-actually-ahead-sam-snead-pga-tour-wins

Doesn't really matter. Tiger will beat 82 either way, and majors is all that matters at this point.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Muy interesante! I thought this article would be a Tiger hating cheap shot. Hardly the case. Good research. True also, that the major count is the big one, as mentioned. Even moreso now, in my mind!

I think we beat this to death in the GOAT thread.  Several of Sam's wins were partner events, or events that would be basically exhibition events now.  Tiger has the World Challenge wins which count for OWGR, but many argue shouldn't go towards his win total because it's a hand-picked field of only 16.

At this point the easiest thing is just to wait till Tiger gets to 83, which will probably happen by September.

Tiger will without a doubt surpass Sam Snead's 82 wins record. Jack Nicklaus's record is the real challenge.

I agree...beating Sneads win total is a moot point.  With that said, I have seen arguments that Sam won many more than the 82.  Sam won some major events back in the day that didn't count towards his win total.     IE......did his North-South wins count?  I'm not sure which of his wins didn't count....but for whatever reason, the north-south comes to mind as one of the examples.  Back then...this was a major event.  I'm not sure off the top of my head which events these were........

If Tiger, or anyone else for that matter, can get OWGR points for their little 16 man end of year get together, then there's no issue at all giving Snead a victory for a two man "PGA Tour Sanctioned" event from the 1940's!!!

People need to stop trying to rewrite the history books to suit their own opinion and just let history play out. Those shared victories by Snead were official PGA Tour wins and part of the official money earned for that year.

Actually it would be great to see a two man event like that on the PGA Tour today, much like the Legends on the Senior Tour.

It was an interesting article, but like others have said, Tiger will surpass Snead without the help.  Also, touring pros played a LOT more tournaments back then, so the opportunity to win was greater than today.  Can you imagine today's pros even attempting to play the type of schedule that they did back in the day?  And having to drive to each tournament, instead of fly?  Yeah, I can see it now:  Ah...Phil, here's your station wagon for the next 6 months.  Make sure you get enough sleep between tournaments!!  Ha!

Dale

Extremely unfair to Snead to 'adjust' his wins record, 50 years after he played the tour. The count is 82. Period.

190503-tiger-trophy.jpg

How many PGA Tour titles should Tiger Woods have? Using the same 'Sam Snead criteria,' quite...

2 hours ago, iacas said:
190503-tiger-trophy.jpg

How many PGA Tour titles should Tiger Woods have? Using the same 'Sam Snead criteria,' quite...

Glad you posted this as a good reminder. Annoying to hear announcers constantly remind us that Snead is the all time wins leader. I’m glad Nobilo made a quick remark about that being ‘ questionable.’ 

On 6/7/2013 at 1:22 PM, k-troop said:

Tiger has the World Challenge wins which count for OWGR, but many argue shouldn't go towards his win total because it's a hand-picked field of only 16.

Those events are not part of Tiger's 82 win total. They are not PGA Tour events. 

I look forward to #83 when people can stop talking about Snead and his wins. Both are great players, Tiger is obviously better.