IGNORED

The Demise of Footjoy

Dr. Strangeclub
Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I believe the FJ Classics were the last ones made in the states.  It is what it is, FJ had to move their operations offshore in order to remain competitive and continue to make a profit.  When you can make something in Asia for 1/3 as much, its difficult to pass that up if you are trying to maximize your bottom line.  Its a harsh, cruel fact of life in today's economy.

Considering that Titleist is now owned by FILA (a Korean company), really they have no obligation to make anything in the states and I expect that they will likely outsource the production of their products to the cheapest possible source.  I believe that they are also looking at moving ball production to Asia in order to save cost.

Back in '06, I had a pair of FJ Greenjoys and even as FJ's cheaper line, they were still great shoes.  My only beef with their was that for my feet, theres other brands that fit my feet better.  I never had any issues with the quality of those shoes.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I think my real problem is that I'm like the Duke of Windsor and his wide lapel wool suits.  I want a golf shoe that looks like an ol' timey golf shoe and Footjoy doesn't make one anymore.  (Everybody trying to one-up me with how long they've been wearing Footjoys and that I must have some weird problem, bear in mind that *I* wore Footjoys almost to exclusion for 45 years.)  The Dryjoys, my current pair with a split sole, have the same anti-rollover function, so Dryjoys aren't the answer.  I think what has happened is that there are some basic size ranges for the sole plates and they fit a range of widths and lengths of uppers onto the same size sole plate, merely changing the attachment point.  A 7.5 is probably the smallest upper that fits on a sole plate for shoes size, say, 7-9, so that the small size uppers have a "shelf" left over all the way around.  People wearing a size 9 might not face the problem and be able to have a pair of Dryjoys that function properly.  Probably 95% or the people who wear the ones with the "shelf" aren't aware that their shoes restrict their swings.

So I think I'll have bite the bullet and get an "athletic" pair of some description.  Not that that is bad thing, since I've always been something of a jock anyhow, and wear running shoes all the time.  I've actually been playing in running/walking shoes lately, so I guess I'll just get the golf version with cleats.

Thanks for the help, everybody!  My quest continues...

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt
Insight XTD 9.5°, Insight 14.5°, X16 P-4iron, Edge 3H

Powerbuilt 2iron and SW, Cleveland 54°, Odyssey Rossi II

If you want "proper" shoes, check out Allen Edmonds' golf collection.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You'd be able to have this conversation with my old man for hours, he's on the same page about the decline of FootJoy. Although he always wore them he's now sporting Adidas shoes and seems to love them as much or more than his FJ's. I've also always had Adidas shoes and font think I'd spring for anything else.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by saturday

You'd be able to have this conversation with my old man for hours, he's on the same page about the decline of FootJoy. Although he always wore them he's now sporting Adidas shoes and seems to love them as much or more than his FJ's. I've also always had Adidas shoes and font think I'd spring for anything else.

I found that Adidas shoes fit my feet better.  Ive got issues with bunions, so the problem I had is that I need a shoe that is wide enough to give me room in the balls of my feet but my heel is fairly narrow, so I need something that contours around my heel too.

More recently, I had a pair of FJ Streets and the fit of them was just a little too sloppy for me.  I went with widers and there was plenty of room in the balls of my feet but the heel fit was so sloppy that I quit wearing them after a while.

Right now, Im just wearing my normal tennis shoes that I wear on the weekends until the shoe deals start to pop up later in the season.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by Stretch

Wish I'd seen those earlier, but right now I'm stuck with Footjoy.  They'll trade them for something else, plus a credit (since I have the most expensive shoe now), but I'm really afraid of the "shelf" being on any shoe in my size, even if it's a running/sport shoe style.  That, and the narrow heel seems omnipresent on all their lasts except the street shoes, which still comes in the Stanford last.

Their return policy is a non-return policy, basically, since all they will give you is a credit for more Footjoy stuff.  Even if there is a defect in workmanship (which this pair incidentally has -- a bunch in the top where it connects to the lace area, which makes it fold weird on the top), they'll just give you another pair, presumably with no apologies.  Since these ICONs are clearly not intended for real golfers,  I don't like my chances of asking for a pair where the width of the sole doesn't accommodate a size 13 EEE upper.  I could have lived with the bad heel, breaking it in eventually,  but the "shelf" is a killer.

I really don't know what to order, now.  Two pair of Greenjoys or something -- but they probably have the "shelf" too.  Wearing these ICONs, I think I know how a dog feels with a one of those funnels on his head to keep him away from the stitches.  Unluckily, the "stitches" are my golf swing.

"If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." Tommy Bolt

Well I only first started playing golf in June of 2012, however I buy a lot of golf shoes and have several pairs of foot joys (several pairs of fj sports and one pair of xps-1).  I like the sports and the xps-1 quite a bit and think they are great.

I received a pair of Ecco Biom Hybrid as a gift and they are the most comfy.  No spikes in them so I cannot wear them when it's wet out but they are by far the most comfy of all golf shoes I've tried.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with either a FootJoy glove, or FootJoy shoes. In fact, I recommended the WeatherSof glove to several friends and family members and that is all that they will use now.

As far as the topic of shoes goes, I am currently wearing the FootJoy Contours and I have never worn a more comfortable shoe. I wear a 13 and typically need a Wide, but the Contours are made slightly wider than Adidas and Nike shoes which resolved my issue without me needing to hunt down a "special" pair.

Here's my review on the FootJoy Contour Men's Golf Shoes: http://thesandtrap.com/products/footjoy-mens-contour-golf-shoes-fj-54051-white-black/reviews/4689

U
nfortunately, I am not old enough to remember a "glory day" for FootJoy. I have simply come to learn that they produce quality products and I have come to like what they offer. I don't mind paying a premium when I receive the quality that I am paying for.

EDIT: I paid right around $105.00 for my Contours before this season started and they are still in perfect condition and show very little wear. I am a shoe freak as well though and I wash them with warm water and dish soap after almost every round and recondition the leather. I also bleach my golf shoes like once a month to keep the creases that form in them nice and white and I never have any grass stains by doing so (freshly cut and wet morning grass is my pet peeve with white shoes of any kind!). Sounds crazy, but I even delace my shoes on occasion and bleach my laces in the washer when I wash whites! .... Don't judge me, it's a sickness!

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by Stretch

A thousands times yes.  AE shoes are forever and incredible.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/cati2_Shoes_1_40000000001_-1_1_image_0_N_120552_120552_128107_subcategory

I guess I need to think about shooting the lock off my wallet next time I purchase a pair of golf shoes. I typically go to Dicks', try on some to find ones I like then snipe a pair off of Ebay. I can't imagine spending $200+ on a pair of shoes, let alone ones for golf.

Having little recourse, I finally went with the Dryjoys Tour.  Works out, because the guy we bought them from can "juggle the books", where he gets the refund and the credit difference goes to him, and then he gives us the difference, so basically we get a fair trade with no residuals at Footjoy that we have to spend somehow.  Next time he orders, he just applies that credit to his own order.  Cool.

Speaking of footjoy's has anyone checked out the myjoy.com? Customize your own, thinking of getting a pair of the contour casuals. I will make sure there is no demise!!

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

I've had 3 pairs of FJ's (white black and brown) for 3 years. I paid under $100 each pair.  I play around 8-12 hours weekly. The FJ's stand strong and I have no reason to even try on a different brand.

To each his own I suppose.

Edit: Let me add the white pair was my first and I've had them for at least 6 years.  Soap and warm water.

Originally Posted by Spyder

I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with either a FootJoy glove, or FootJoy shoes. In fact, I recommended the WeatherSof glove to several friends and family members and that is all that they will use now.

As far as the topic of shoes goes, I am currently wearing the FootJoy Contours and I have never worn a more comfortable shoe. I wear a 13 and typically need a Wide, but the Contours are made slightly wider than Adidas and Nike shoes which resolved my issue without me needing to hunt down a "special" pair.

Here's my review on the FootJoy Contour Men's Golf Shoes:  http://thesandtrap.com/products/footjoy-mens-contour-golf-shoes-fj-54051-white-black/reviews/4689

Unfortunately, I am not old enough to remember a "glory day" for FootJoy. I have simply come to learn that they produce quality products and I have come to like what they offer. I don't mind paying a premium when I receive the quality that I am paying for.

EDIT: I paid right around $105.00 for my Contours before this season started and they are still in perfect condition and show very little wear. I am a shoe freak as well though and I wash them with warm water and dish soap after almost every round and recondition the leather. I also bleach my golf shoes like once a month to keep the creases that form in them nice and white and I never have any grass stains by doing so (freshly cut and wet morning grass is my pet peeve with white shoes of any kind!). Sounds crazy, but I even delace my shoes on occasion and bleach my laces in the washer when I wash whites! .... Don't judge me, it's a sickness!

Love what I'm reading here.  I have a toothbrush specifically for my clubs, and one set aside for my shoes.  Oh and I keep one around for my great whites too.

• Upvote 1

I just bought a pair of Contours today at Dick's.  One of the more comfortable pair of shoes that I tried on today, and I tried on about 20.  Haven't taken them for a spin on the course yet, but I am getting tired of my Adidas so I thought I would go back to FJ since I use to swear by them when I was younger.  If these ones fail then I will never buy another pair.  I also bought a pair of the Ecco Bioms.  I have been having pain in my feet after walking 18 the last few times out.

I used to be very happy with FJ myself, but the latest addition (Project M) lost a cleat after maybe 5 rounds of playing. What's up with that! Never ever lost a cleat before!

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!