IGNORED

My Swing (maddog0512)

maddog0512
Note: This thread is 3182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: High

My typical ball flight is: Pushes with irons, slice with woods

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Everything that goes right

Some things I can see from these videos is that my head is moving too much (down and away from the ball on the backswing), I'm overswinging (this is a result of trying to keep my left arm straight but not too rigid), and I never get the club face to close (it's still really open even after impact).  Any other feed back and suggestions of what to work on and how to do it would be greatly appreciated!  I'm pretty thick skinned so don't hold back :)

Golf is hard.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Recommend you take a look at this thread.  Also make sure the grip lies more in the fingers of your left hand, not in the palm.  With your set-up your back is too upright and your eyes aren't focused on the ball.  Think you'll see much better results with contact and your clubface control with a softer upper back, eyes down, shoulders turning more "steep"

http://thesandtrap.com/t/56069/good-golf-posture

So the shoulders turn too flat, head rotates too far to the right to where you wouldn't be able to see the ball.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, mvmac.  I just read through the posture thread.  What was said makes a lot of sense and is evidenced in most pro's swings.  I'm going to the range tonight so I'll work on this with some half swings.

One other question: do you think that keeping the right heel down (mine seems to come up pretty early in the downswing) until nearer to impact would help close the face more as it comes into the ball?  Seems to me like it would since it would lessen the rotation of my hips and give the club face time to "catch up".  Also, it should give a little more "power" to my shots since I'd have more contact with the ground.

Golf is hard.

Originally Posted by maddog0512

Thanks, mvmac.  I just read through the posture thread.  What was said makes a lot of sense and is evidenced in most pro's swings.  I'm going to the range tonight so I'll work on this with some half swings.

One other question: do you think that keeping the right heel down (mine seems to come up pretty early in the downswing) until nearer to impact would help close the face more as it comes into the ball?  Seems to me like it would since it would lessen the rotation of my hips and give the club face time to "catch up".  Also, it should give a little more "power" to my shots since I'd have more contact with the ground.

Do the posture stuff first and see how that changes things.  I agree the right heel lifting too soon can be a problem but that part might improve as you get better at turning your body on a titled angle.  But to answer your question, generally no, the right foot banking wouldn't help you close the face more.  Right foot banking means the golfer is moving the lower center forward and turning.  Right heel rising too early, hips stop going forward "along the arc" and the golfer will tend to have more of a "flip".  The right heel rising is more of a reaction to the direction the weight is transferring.

Mike McLoughlin

Here is a picture of my posture at the range tonight.  Does this look better than where I was at in my video?  It felt more comfortable and I was actually making pretty decent contact with my 6 iron, really only focusing on my posture and releasing the club properly.  I was even able to hit a few push draws about 180 yards on target which is definitely a breath of fresh air since I'm so used to watching my ball go right.  I'm going to continue to work on these two things through Sunday and then next week start tackling my outside-to-in swing path.

Golf is hard.

Yes definitely better, would like to see the eyes down more.  Might feel like you are tucking your chin into your chest.  Notice the difference between your pic and these

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...

So I wanted to give a quick update and see if I can't get some feedback.  I've been steadily getting better this summer and met my goal of breaking 100 (shot a 94 Saturday but it easily could've been in the 80s as I three putted a ridiculous 8 times) but I still have a lot of work to do.  This is me with my 6 iron today.  Anyone see anything glaringly wrong?  I see my posture could still use some help (I look really hunched over), my tempo seems rushed, and I still have a shallow shoulder turn.  Anything I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

Golf is hard.

I've been Playing Golf for:​ 3 months

My current handicap index or average score is: High

My typical ball flight is: Pushes with irons, slice with woods

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Everything that goes right

Some things I can see from these videos is that my head is moving too much (down and away from the ball on the backswing), I'm overswinging (this is a result of trying to keep my left arm straight but not too rigid), and I never get the club face to close (it's still really open even after impact).  Any other feed back and suggestions of what to work on and how to do it would be greatly appreciated!  I'm pretty thick skinned so don't hold back :)

I'm just going to give you everything I see:

When you pull back the club, your head follows the club backward, instead of keeping still and focused on the ball. I also noticed that your swing path is kind of herky-jerky in a way, instead of a stable and balanced swing. This could be the reason you slice with the woods, as it's nearly impossible to level the club with the swing path moving like that and not keeping your head still. Personally, I think if you fix those two things: 1. Keeping the head still and 2. Keeping a stable stance and swing path, you'll notice better ball flights and lower scores. Good luck!

Originally Posted by mvmac

Yes definitely better, would like to see the eyes down more.  Might feel like you are tucking your chin into your chest.  Notice the difference between your pic and these

I

I know this swing stuff is for the other guy, but those set ups are, in fact, correct? Because when I posted my video on here that's how I set up, and I got some mixed opinions on how I was setting up, and my bro Tmac told me I set up wrong. Even though I set up like Dufner here.

So I wanted to give a quick update and see if I can't get some feedback.  I've been steadily getting better this summer and met my goal of breaking 100 (shot a 94 Saturday but it easily could've been in the 80s as I three putted a ridiculous 8 times) but I still have a lot of work to do.  This is me with my 6 iron today.  Anyone see anything glaringly wrong?  I see my posture could still use some help (I look really hunched over), my tempo seems rushed, and I still have a shallow shoulder turn.  Anything I'm missing?  Thanks in advance.

You say you feel rushed, and I know that feel. A little trick I do to get ready that I would suggest to you is before you pull back the swing, line up the club behind the ball with your foreams as straight and stiff as you can get them (obviously do it the correct way, you wouldn't put your hands straight out, but you would keep them straight.. ya know.)

That's your six iron? Personally, every higher club, my hands continue to go farther and farther away from my body. You said you push your irons, does that mean you pull them or push them to the right? Either way, I wouldn't doubt it's because of your hand set up. With a six iron, I would like to see your hands farther away from your body. Where you're set up with the six iron is where I set up with the PW. The PW is shorter, so you have to keep it closer to your body. But the 6-iron is longer, so you have to keep it away from you body so you can pull back and get back to a correct posistion at contact. I would try that out.

Arms straight and stiff, and hands much farther from my body.  Got it.  Thanks, bro!

Let me know if it helps! Cheers!

P.S. Remember though, your shorter irons should be closer to your body, and the longer the iron, the farther away. :) Hope to see improvement! Good luck!

Don't really see anything glaring wrong, in fact very surprised someone with these pics is shooting in the 90's!  Left hand grip may be in the palm too much, make sure it lies more in the finger.  And turn out that left foot a few more degrees.  Posture looks good, more on that below.

Originally Posted by Kelzzy

I know this swing stuff is for the other guy, but those set ups are, in fact, correct? Because when I posted my video on here that's how I set up, and I got some mixed opinions on how I was setting up, and my bro Tmac told me I set up wrong. Even though I set up like Dufner here.

Mike McLoughlin

Originally Posted by mvmac

Don't really see anything glaring wrong, in fact very surprised someone with these pics is shooting in the 90's!  Left hand grip may be in the palm too much, make sure it lies more in the finger.  And turn out that left foot a few more degrees.  Posture looks good, more on that below.

Thanks, Mike.  That's very encouraging.  I will be signing up for Evolvr tonight so I'm looking forward to bringing those scores down!

Golf is hard.

That's your six iron? Personally, every higher club, my hands continue to go farther and farther away from my body. You said you push your irons, does that mean you pull them or push them to the right? Either way, I wouldn't doubt it's because of your hand set up. With a six iron, I would like to see your hands farther away from your body. Where you're set up with the six iron is where I set up with the PW. The PW is shorter, so you have to keep it closer to your body. But the 6-iron is longer, so you have to keep it away from you body so you can pull back and get back to a correct posistion at contact. I would try that out.

his posture is correct eldrick

Note: This thread is 3182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!