IGNORED

How many times have you "Figured it out"?

Slice of Life
Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It seems like every year, sometimes multiple times, I "figure it out". OOOoooh I just need to do THIS...proceed to swing great, then it all gets away from you again.

Can't just be me that this happens to.

It's happening again. I've been practicing a lot more lately. A LOT. And after a quick 9, I went to the range and tried to work on my swing. Fixed a couple issues, and was driving the ball straight as an arrow, almost 300 yards every drive. Everything was clicking...posture, hips, shoulders, wrists, head...I'm sure when I play next, I'll slice 20 balls into the woods.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I dont feel that Ive ever figured it out.  If I did, I would quit my job, get my tour card and make millions of dollars a year playing golf.

I certainly do feel like Id understand why things happen much better than I used to but understand what you need to do and actually doing it are 2 very different things.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

btdt......Another reason I do no go to the driving range prior to actual play other than to loosen up. Gets me to thinking too much and apprehensive about re-creating a swing I learned (or thought I had) from the range. "Paralysis by Analysis". Sometimes I will go to the range "after" a round to figure out something I had been doing wrong.  Some of my best rounds were played when I had the feeling of "abandonment" and just going with the flow.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

It seems like every year, sometimes multiple times, I "figure it out". OOOoooh I just need to do THIS...proceed to swing great, then it all gets away from you again. Can't just be me that this happens to. c1_cursing.gif It's happening again. I've been practicing a lot more lately. A LOT. And after a quick 9, I went to the range and tried to work on my swing. Fixed a couple issues, and was driving the ball straight as an arrow, almost 300 yards every drive. Everything was clicking...posture, hips, shoulders, wrists, head...I'm sure when I play next, I'll slice 20 balls into the woods. d1_bigcry.gif [rule]

I can guarantee you that every member of this site has, myself included. It's there that one day when you figure it out, and then gone the very next like you've never played golf before.

It seems like every year, sometimes multiple times, I "figure it out". OOOoooh I just need to do THIS...proceed to swing great, then it all gets away from you again. Can't just be me that this happens to. c1_cursing.gif It's happening again. I've been practicing a lot more lately. A LOT. And after a quick 9, I went to the range and tried to work on my swing. Fixed a couple issues, and was driving the ball straight as an arrow, almost 300 yards every drive. Everything was clicking...posture, hips, shoulders, wrists, head...I'm sure when I play next, I'll slice 20 balls into the woods. d1_bigcry.gif [rule]

"You sliced it Dexter!" Happens to us all, the best thing you can do is try and stay relaxed and void of tension the way you are on the range.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

It seems like every year, sometimes multiple times, I "figure it out". OOOoooh I just need to do THIS...proceed to swing great, then it all gets away from you again.

It's happening again. I've been practicing a lot more lately. A LOT. And after a quick 9, I went to the range and tried to work on my swing. Fixed a couple issues, and was driving the ball straight as an arrow, almost 300 yards every drive. Everything was clicking...posture, hips, shoulders, wrists, head...I'm sure when I play next, I'll slice 20 balls into the woods.

Welcome to golf.

I figure it out a couple times a year...just to unfigure it out all over again.  I would say my game mostly stays in an unfigured state with brief flashes of figuredoutness.  I've just come to accept it and live for the couple times a year when it all comes together knowing that it won't last long.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

With out seeing what your doing, its impossible to know if your fixing something. If your swing needs that much timing, there's an issue that you probably can't fix on your own.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

With out seeing what your doing, its impossible to know if your fixing something. If your swing needs that much timing, there's an issue that you probably can't fix on your own.

Yeah, I need to get some videos up. I have a decent looking swing, Went and took a lesson, and he told me what I needed to work on. When I work on it, it clicks...when I fall away from it, or forget, I'm toast.

My main thing is remembering to bring the club back on an inside path. When I do that, I'm golden. I don't know what's so hard about remembering that...

Ryan M

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Welcome to golf.

Haha. Ain't that the truth.

I'm no rookie though, I just play like one.

Ryan M

I "figured it out" dozens and dozens of times, stick you butt out, stand tall, exhale before the swing, shoulder to chin-shoulder to chin, I can go on and on.  Every year there is a new swing thought that seems to be the trigger for me and I will play, for a stretch, some pretty good golf, for me at least.  But I'll slip back to my old ways and have to work at something different.  It's the way the game works, it can never be mastered.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Yeah, I need to get some videos up. I have a decent looking swing, Went and took a lesson, and he told me what I needed to work on. When I work on it, it clicks...when I fall away from it, or forget, I'm toast.

My main thing is remembering to bring the club back on an inside path. When I do that, I'm golden. I don't know what's so hard about remembering that...

Go look in the Swing Thoughts thread about how to practice. Its not about remembering, its about erasing all the bad habits with new habits. That takes time, patience, and proper practice.

When i practice it takes me about an hour to get through a small number of golf balls. I might make 10-15 practice movements before striking a golf ball. Even then i might not make a full swing, might hit the ball with a drill. If your going out there just tearing into a 100 golf balls, you wont fix things fast.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Go look in the Swing Thoughts thread about how to practice. Its not about remembering, its about erasing all the bad habits with new habits. That takes time, patience, and proper practice.

When i practice it takes me about an hour to get through a small number of golf balls. I might make 10-15 practice movements before striking a golf ball. Even then i might not make a full swing, might hit the ball with a drill. If your going out there just tearing into a 100 golf balls, you wont fix things fast.

I get it. I've been through that thread, countless articles, etc.,

I hit a bucket after my round yesterday, and took a while doing it. Not just *tee up, thwak, tee up, thwak* and so on, but making an effort to think out every shot. Correct any posture issues, slow down my backswing, bring the club back properly, and make good contact. By the end of the session, I was consistently around the sweet spot, and either hitting it dead straight or with a very slight fade or draw.

I just need to do that more often, so that becomes the norm, instead of my bad habits.

Ryan M

I think I have it figured out about every other hole. It's the holes in between that give me problems.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I have NEVER figured it out! But it sure is fun trying.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I love this question, every golfer has thought this at some point. For us hackers we "figure it out" all the time. The difference between us and pro's is that once the pro's figure something out they don't forget it!

Eleventy!

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Originally Posted by Motown88

I love this question, every golfer has thought this at some point. For us hackers we "figure it out" all the time. The difference between us and pro's is that once the pro's figure something out they don't forget it!

Sounds pretty accurate!

Ryan M

Note: This thread is 3944 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!