IGNORED

"Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play

clarkgriswold
Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

lol

I've seen this so many times. However, don't blame the cart...they'd probably do the same thing walking. Except they'd do it even slower.

The only thing is that two people walking are not "forced" to go to the same ball before dispersing.  I really have no interest in walking to my playing partners shot.  We just walk to our separate tee shots and play from there.  I would say less than 5% of my home course walks.  I probably just have it out for carts because 99% of the slow players I run into use carts.

Originally Posted by trackster

The only thing is that two people walking are not "forced" to go to the same ball before dispersing.  I really have no interest in walking to my playing partners shot.  We just walk to our separate tee shots and play from there.  I would say less than 5% of my home course walks.  I probably just have it out for carts because 99% of the slow players I run into use carts.

And now we find the root cause of your cart hostility.

I prefer carts when I'm not golfing alone because then it becomes more of a social sport, you can BS with friends you don't see that often. I also finish a round pretty quickly though, so I doubt you'd complain about me if I was in front of you.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And now we find the root cause of your cart hostility.

I prefer carts when I'm not golfing alone because then it becomes more of a social sport, you can BS with friends you don't see that often. I also finish a round pretty quickly though, so I doubt you'd complain about me if I was in front of you.

This is why pace of play will always be an issue for golf.  We are the minority, most people play golf for fun, to catch up with friends, or entertain a business partner or customer.

Those that golf for fun or business entertainment don't place pace of play as their top priority.  They don't game plan the most efficient way to use their cart to maximize pace of play.  While not efficient, it seems more courteous to assist a friend or customer in looking for their ball in the woods or rough compared to handing them a bunch of clubs and wishing them look while you go play your shot.  Also, splitting up the entire round doesn't provide much quality time which is the primary reason they are out there.

On this site we're all preaching to the choir when it comes to pace of play.  The people that need to hear the message aren't here, they are on a course somewhere, drinking beer, taking mulligans, smoking cigars, having some laughs, hacking up the course and taking 6 hours to do it without any concerns about how long it's taking.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The people that need to hear the message aren't here, they are on a course somewhere, drinking beer, taking mulligans, smoking cigars, having some laughs, hacking up the course and taking 6 hours to do it without any concerns about how long it's taking.

Oh....that sounds like it really sucks.

you mean, GASP!!  they are having fun ?

How horrible.  Won't someone PLEASE think of the children....?

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

Oh....that sounds like it really sucks.

you mean, GASP!!  they are having fun?

How horrible.  Won't someone PLEASE think of the children....?

Six hours is horrible. Have that much fun on your own time...you may be having fun, but you're ruining everybody else's fun.

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

Six hours is horrible. Have that much fun on your own time...you may be having fun, but you're ruining everybody else's fun.

Well put. There is nothing wrong with any of that EXCEPT the part about holding up MY round and turning it into a 6 hour round.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Well put. There is nothing wrong with any of that EXCEPT the part about holding up MY round and turning it into a 6 hour round.

If I'm playing for 6 hours, I expect to be playing AT LEAST 27 holes. If not 36...

Ryan M

I don't like slow rounds either, but that doesn't sound like a terrible afternoon at all.  nothing more, nothing less, that that

If it's nutty slow, I usually just let my wallet to the talking - I'll go somewhere else and the let the club know why.  but I suspect the effort will back up of people present their 'issue' in such uptight manner.  Courtesy goes a long ways.  Self righteous griping and pushy behavior really will make the problem worse.  And I see a lot of that entitled attitudes on the posts here.

My favorite way to play - My last 18, I played alone, drove a cart, it took just under 3 hours, I had a great time.  I caught one group and waited on 9 for them to putt out.  They let me through on 10 and it was seamless.  Plenty of time leftover for a beer at the clubhouse and good conversation.

Bill - 

I don't like slow rounds either, but that doesn't sound like a terrible afternoon at all.  nothing more, nothing less, that that

The problem is, it's terrible for everyone else. If I spent 6 hours playing 18 holes in a foursome, 3 of it would be drinking and BSing. Doesn't make sense. You can get in plenty of drinking, BSing, and mulligans in 4 hours. Trust me, I've done it.

Ryan M

The problem is, it's terrible for everyone else. If I spent 6 hours playing 18 holes in a foursome, 3 of it would be drinking and BSing. Doesn't make sense. You can get in plenty of drinking, BSing, and mulligans in 4 hours. Trust me, I've done it.

agree - But my main option, when put in that situation, short of pulling a gun, is pretty much to note the issue and plan better next time (go elsewhere, or a less peak time).  For this time, suck it up and have fun anyway and not even try to let it get to me.  There's a lot worse things to do than be outside with friends and hitting a white ball that hates me.

That, and behave in the manner that would want others to behave.  Cheerful, friendly, courteous,.....and efficient.

I also don't mumble and grumble at other drivers on the road much any more either.  I'm much healthier as a result.  Life's short.

Bill - 

agree - But my main option, when put in that situation, short of pulling a gun, is pretty much to note the issue and plan better next time (go elsewhere, or a less peak time).  For this time, suck it up and have fun anyway and not even try to let it get to me.  There's a lot worse things to do than be outside with friends and hitting a white ball that hates me.

That, and behave in the manner that would want others to behave.  Cheerful, friendly, courteous,.....and efficient.

I also don't mumble and grumble at other drivers on the road much any more either.  I'm much healthier as a result.  Life's short.

I have a side game for this type of day.

You and your friend(s) line up at one of the tee box markers with your ball. You each smack the ball toward the other tee marker...once you hit it, you smack it at the other tee box marker. Once you hit both markers, you smack it at the other ball(s). If you hit the other ball, that player is eliminated from the game...last man standing.

You alternate shots UNLESS you hit the tee marker...if you hit, you get to go again.

To better explain, here's a sample of how one would go with 2 people:

Player A hits ball, misses 1st marker

Player B hits ball, nails 1st marker

Player B hits ball, misses 2nd marker

Player A hits ball, nails 1st marker

Player A hits ball, nails 2nd marker

Player A hits ball, misses Player B's ball

Player B hits ball, nails 2nd marker

Player B hits ball, nails Player A's ball

Player B wins

We play this sometimes 50 times in a round waiting on people. Haha. The only rule is, you have to use the club you're teeing off with...no putters!!!

Ryan M

Good game - You could turn it into a drinking game (shots) pretty easy.

Here's one - Actually set up a card table and start playing cards.

When the marshall see's that, he's sure to get the message that it's SLOW up in front of you.

Bill - 

Good game - You could turn it into a drinking game (shots) pretty easy.

Here's one - Actually set up a card table and start playing cards.

When the marshall see's that, he's sure to get the message that it's SLOW up in front of you.

Hahaha that would be hilarious!

Ryan M

Originally Posted by trackster

The problem is most people don't use a cart out of necessity or because it's faster.  They use a cart because they are a lazy pile who couldn't even imagine walking a course.  While your scenarios are text book on how it should be done.  More often it goes like this.

Player B slices his ball into native grass.  Player A hits his on to fairway.  The cart is driven over to native grass.  The cart is then driven up and down the line of grass with both men trying to find the ball.  After they can't find it the cart is parked, A and B get out and do a couple of 360 spins trying to eye were the ball could be.  After a hefty wait B decides to just drop a ball and play on.  Oh crap, The cart is parked in the line of player B.  Player A gets in and swings the cart around behind Player B.  Player B takes a vicious hack and advances the ball 30 yards.  Player B gets in the cart and they drive to Player B's shot.  Player B hits his shot up to where player A's is, however he is in the rough 50 yards to the left.  The cart is driven to A's Ball.  A gets out and hits.  A gets back into the cart and is driven to player B's position.  This continues for 18 holes, you get the picture.

I would say that my scenario is the norm and yours is the exception.  Since the majority of cart players play like I have described, yes I can play much faster than 2 people in a cart walking, it isn't even close.

Actually the norm is somewhere in between.  And the fault lies with the course not providing instruction in the proper use of carts.  This is just one more area where education is the key to improving pace of play across the board.  We aren't born with this knowledge, and unfortunately, not all of us are able or willing to figure it out for ourselves, especially if the course doesn't seem to care about it.  You can't enforce a nonexistent policy, and you also can't enforce one without teaching the players how to achieve the intended goal.

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I have a side game for this type of day.

You and your friend(s) line up at one of the tee box markers with your ball. You each smack the ball toward the other tee marker...once you hit it, you smack it at the other tee box marker. Once you hit both markers, you smack it at the other ball(s). If you hit the other ball, that player is eliminated from the game...last man standing.

You alternate shots UNLESS you hit the tee marker...if you hit, you get to go again.

To better explain, here's a sample of how one would go with 2 people:

Player A hits ball, misses 1st marker

Player B hits ball, nails 1st marker

Player B hits ball, misses 2nd marker

Player A hits ball, nails 1st marker

Player A hits ball, nails 2nd marker

Player A hits ball, misses Player B's ball

Player B hits ball, nails 2nd marker

Player B hits ball, nails Player A's ball

Player B wins

We play this sometimes 50 times in a round waiting on people. Haha. The only rule is, you have to use the club you're teeing off with...no putters!!!

My buddy and I started playing that game 30 years ago.  Not that the course was so slow, just that we were pretty fast.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

If the foursome in front of you is 1/2 a hole behind the group in front of them and you are much faster players causing you to wait for every shot, what should you do?

Or how about the guys who like to drive golf carts right next to the green. Hell, i've seen people drive golf carts over the green. I think there needs to be a golf cart assessment test to weed out the stupid people.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

Or how about the guys who like to drive golf carts right next to the green. Hell, i've seen people drive golf carts over the green. I think there needs to be a golf cart assessment test to weed out the stupid people.

Drives me nuts. I yelled at a friend a couple weeks ago for driving on the fringe. Same friend I flipped out at for pulling the pin when I told him not to...right as my ball goes over the center of the cup. Would have been in for sure, instead I'm 6 feet away. My other friend was laughing his ass off...I didn't think it was so funny at the time lol

He's slowly learning proper golf etiquette haha

Ryan M

Originally Posted by Golfer6760

If the foursome in front of you is 1/2 a hole behind the group in front of them and you are much faster players causing you to wait for every shot, what should you do?

Probably wait.  1/2 a hole isn't a huge gap.  If they fall further behind, you may try and play through or alert the marshal, but 1/2th a hole could just be a temporary thing.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!