IGNORED

"Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play

clarkgriswold
Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Didn't care enough. We still finished in a reasonable time...just more downtime than I would have preferred. If they were in front of us from the start that would be one thing, but this was like halfway through the back 9.

Aside from that, the ranger looked like he could care less due to the heat and what not. I think he was more or less holding his clipboard and circling the club house between water and bathroom breaks...

• Administrator

I played today in a twosome.

We were behind a woman and her son. They were behind two dudes.

We called the course at 1:30 and asked if they had any tee times. The course is 40 minutes away, and they said come on out. We putted for a bit because the mother/son got there a minute before us.

We "took our time" because it was a playing lesson and I was helping him with his focus, shot selection, planning, etc.

We were in the car driving home for a little while and I noted that it said 5:05.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Instead of spending money on this campaign, they should have just turned this into a commercial.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

My wife and I play 3 times a week.  To save money (green fees for 2 players can add up quickly), we play a lot of late afternoon rounds.   That taught us to play at fast pace.   That got me thinking ... if courses charge you by hour, the pace will pick up dramatically .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Charging by the hour...ha.  That is an interesting though, but ultimately falls victim to the same thing that many slow play remedies do: people will get pissed off when they're charged for a 5.5 hour round, when they were keeping up with the group in front of them since the first tee.  If you could find a way to only charge the group guilty of slow play, you could have a winner

Of course, it would never happen.

• Upvote 1

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I really want to start using my phone to record some of the nonsense I see on the golf course. I played behind two guys with beginner swings playing from the back tees yesterday. I'm not exaggerating when I say it took as many as 5-6 hits just to get out of range. On more than one occasion they came back towards me in their cart after traveling well out of range. After one instance of driving back towards me they yelled to stop hitting into them as my ball rolled towards them heading south on the fairway. I had a hard time trying to keep up with what they were doing. They would be up near the green playing a shot and 40-50 yds back from there for the next shot. One was dropping a ball for a redo every time he hit a bad shot, which was often. I was there to hang out and drink beer so I really didn't care about the pace but they made some moves that were flat out dangerous.

Just one bizarre event after another following these guys. I only played 9, actually I jumped off after 8 because it was hot and there were 3 foursomes on the par 5 #9. I was waiting for my ride in the pro shop shooting the breeze when the group in front of the guys I was behind rolled in. A guy in that group is the Fri afternoon ranger at this course. He was hot that they got mouthy with him after he reminded them to keep their cart on the path near greens and tees. I swear they were driving up to chip shots well beyond the signs pointing the carts back to the path. Evidently one of the guys started out walking and joined the guy riding, which the off duty ranger pointed out since he wasn't charged a cart fee. I'm not one to snitch but I had to mention I saw them toss empty beer cans on the course, one into the lake directly in front of the club house as I waited for the them to get on to the green of a short par 4. I'm certain alcohol was factor, I saw one pee standing next to the cart path on the 9th hole as I was putting out on 8. He made no effort to hide it and was just minutes from the club house. They were radioing the ranger on duty to tell her about all the complaints this group was getting as I was leaving.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I really want to start using my phone to record some of the nonsense I see on the golf course. I played behind two guys with beginner swings playing from the back tees yesterday. I'm not exaggerating when I say it took as many as 5-6 hits just to get out of range. On more than one occasion they came back towards me in their cart after traveling well out of range. After one instance of driving back towards me they yelled to stop hitting into them as my ball rolled towards them heading south on the fairway. I had a hard time trying to keep up with what they were doing. They would be up near the green playing a shot and 40-50 yds back from there for the next shot. One was dropping a ball for a redo every time he hit a bad shot, which was often. I was there to hang out and drink beer so I really didn't care about the pace but they made some moves that were flat out dangerous.

Same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago (I may have written about it in another thread).  Anyway, a group of 3 or 4 and they would drive out some 320+ yards, then somebody would hit (I assume), then we would begin to tee off and they would start working their way back to as close as 150 yards out.  No exaggeration, they did this maybe 10 holes or so, most of the time coming back within about 200 yards of us.  I was flabbergasted by it.  The first couple times it happened we nearly hit them, and after that we had an idea of what was going on, but it still confused us.  We ended up waiting a long time on every tee box.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I will be sure to start recording videos of slow play examples. When I played with fellow TST'er Slice of Life, we were going to record the fine example that he mentioned but we didn't. I think video would be great so that the visual learners can see what not to do and we can also laugh at one another's expense for being stuck behind the BS we recorded.

People who insist on finding a lost golf ball when it is obvious that it'd be like finding a needle in a haystack drives me crazy.  Most golf courses allows 5 minutes to look for a lost ball.  But on a busy Saturday on a public golf course in poor neighborhood, taking 5 minutes to find a lost golf ball is asking for a confrontation.  There is a good reason to bring extra balls.   And you shouldn't play with a $5 ball if you are not accurate and can't afford to lose it.

How about a four some who are betting money on every hole?  They take forever to putt, including less than 2 feet putt gimmies.   It's like watching a PGA tour player putt on TV, looking at the lie from every angle, and marking the ball when one can easily tap in, etc.

And put down your bag near your next hole.   Get out green fast once you putted.   Don't answer you freaking phone if you are going to make everyone wait until you are finished with your call.   Don't hit practice balls when group behind you is waiting.   Play ready golf when the course is busy, puuuulease.   Walk a little faster when your group is slow.   Try to catch up with a group in front of you by all means.   Finally, if your group is unusually slow, have enough courtesy to let the group behind you pass.

There is absolutely no reason for a 5 hour round (even a 4 hour round is long).   3 and a half our is just about the right pace if everyone does what they need to on a busy day.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

And you shouldn't play with a $5 ball if you are not accurate and can't afford to lose it.

Probably one of the truest statements ever made.  I understand wanting to use the best equipment, but be realisitc.  I know I lose a number of balls, so I don't buy expensive ones.  in fact, I usually use balls that only cost me about 50 cents, so if I lose one I'm not out much.  Of course, on some rounds it can still add up!

I have to relate a story from a little tourney I played over the weekend.  2-man best ball.  We got paired up with a father and son team.  They were really nice, etc.  But the son had the longest over-the-ball wait time I've ever seen.  At some point, my playing partner started timing it with his iPhone.

The longest was 36 seconds that we recorded.  Average was probably closer to 20-25 sec.  And that doesn't include practice swings or preshot routine - that is just the time at address.  He didn't always have practice swings.  But either way - unbelievably slow.  I'm not sure how long that sounds to everyone, but to sit there and wait for it every time was very awkward.  Needless to say, the marshal got onto us a couple of times.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

I have to relate a story from a little tourney I played over the weekend.  2-man best ball.  We got paired up with a father and son team.  They were really nice, etc.  But the son had the longest over-the-ball wait time I've ever seen.  At some point, my playing partner started timing it with his iPhone.

The longest was 36 seconds that we recorded.  Average was probably closer to 20-25 sec.  And that doesn't include practice swings or preshot routine - that is just the time at address.  He didn't always have practice swings.  But either way - unbelievably slow.  I'm not sure how long that sounds to everyone, but to sit there and wait for it every time was very awkward.  Needless to say, the marshal got onto us a couple of times.

36 seconds is ridiculous.

I give a buddy of mine a lot of crap for his routing.

Steps 10 feet back away from ball to look at target

Takes 2 practice swings

Walks back up to ball

Address and Prep to hit

Stand still for 10 seconds

Swing away

We still golf very quickly, but I can't help but give him some crap. My other buddy Mike takes about 6-10 practice swings before any shot. He also gets called Keegan occasionally.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

10 seconds is too long to freeze over the ball.  anything more than 3 or 4 seconds is going start putting tension in the forearms.  After that, hitting the ball is just pot luck.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

My uncle and I got paired up this past Saturday with another twosome. Nice enough guys but I knew it would be a long day from the very first tee shot. My uncle and I played from the middle tees and the other two played from the back tees. As soon as they both tee'd off my uncle looked at me and said "I dont know why guys do that to themelves." If I add up the combined distance of their drives they drove about 200 yards combined! My other complaint was how long they took on the greens. One guy would line up his putt.....address his putt......back off and take his practice putting motion, re-address then putt. We got done in 4.5 hours but we should've easily been done closer to four.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by Fourputt

10 seconds is too long to freeze over the ball.  anything more than 3 or 4 seconds is going start putting tension in the forearms.  After that, hitting the ball is just pot luck.

I thought the same thing while we were watching this.  I commented that after X amount of seconds just standing frozen over the ball like that, how do you ever pull the trigger?  He would occasionally kind of bounce a little or wiggle.  Maybe that helped.  But it seems like the longer you sit there, the more awkward the start is going to be.  And he hit plenty of bad balls - so your point is well made.

Alot of good stuff posted here....

My day went like this....headed out to a course i haven't played in 15 years...11:30 tee time, at 11:10 I got to the course and the parking lot was 3/4 full, I started to the clubhouse and saw 5 carts waiting at the first tee and 3 waiting at #10. My phone rang and it was the course manager stating they have had to move my tee time to 12:30. So I called another course and he said he could get me on " it was scattered" he said.

I got on the other course on the 1st tee at 12 noon, behind a two-some. At 1pm I was standing on the #4 tee box, did some quick math a realized I am into a 6-hour round of golf.  it was the typical 4 some 2 groups ahead, hacking around in the woods looking for the lost ball, so he wouldn't lose a skin or hole, cussing like a Badger....I left the course...

I went to Chipotle..had a chicken burrito w/ brown rice & black beans, almost got juice on my golf shirt.went to the restroom. got to the third course at 2pm a 68.7/113 at 6026 yds, tee'd off at 2:10 sank my final putt at 4:20 left the course at 4:30 and am home writing this blog, enjoying a beer at 5:20pm....Had I stayed at the first course I started i would just be getting to tee off on #17 right now.

So I freed up 40 minutes of my life, had a burrito and a 2 hour and 20 minute round of golf...The course I played...has houses on it, no body plays those courses...I saw 5 other golfers and people having a picnic at the #5 tee box. However the course i left has become the most expensive round of golf I have paid for $21(green fee) for 3 holes played comes out to $7 a hole."Hey, While we're young!"....gotta love it

Originally Posted by Jodastra

My day went like this....headed out to a course i haven't played in 15 years...11:30 tee time, at 11:10 I got to the course and the parking lot was 3/4 full, I started to the clubhouse and saw 5 carts waiting at the first tee and 3 waiting at #10. My phone rang and it was the course manager stating they have had to move my tee time to 12:30. So I called another course and he said he could get me on " it was scattered" he said.

I got on the other course on the 1st tee at 12 noon, behind a two-some. At 1pm I was standing on the #4 tee box, did some quick math a realized I am into a 6-hour round of golf.  it was the typical 4 some 2 groups ahead, hacking around in the woods looking for the lost ball, so he wouldn't lose a skin or hole, cussing like a Badger....I left the course...

I went to Chipotle..had a chicken burrito w/ brown rice & black beans, almost got juice on my golf shirt.went to the restroom. got to the third course at 2pm a 68.7/113 at 6026 yds, tee'd off at 2:10 sank my final putt at 4:20 left the course at 4:30 and am home writing this blog, enjoying a beer at 5:20pm....Had I stayed at the first course I started i would just be getting to tee off on #17 right now.

So I freed up 40 minutes of my life, had a burrito and a 2 hour and 20 minute round of golf...The course I played...has houses on it, no body plays those courses...I saw 5 other golfers and people having a picnic at the #5 tee box. However the course i left has become the most expensive round of golf I have paid for $21(green fee) for 3 holes played comes out to $7 a hole."Hey, While we're young!"....gotta love it

I read this whole thing and I wasn't shocked so much by the golf delays as much as I am impressed with your ability to eat a whole chicken burrito from Chipotle and then play 18 holes of golf.  I think I would have needed a nap.

Originally Posted by dave67az

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jodastra

I read this whole thing and I wasn't shocked so much by the golf delays as much as I am impressed with your ability to eat a whole chicken burrito from Chipotle and then play 18 holes of golf.  I think I would have needed a nap.

But if he had black beans on it, that may have help propel him on that quick round.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 3867 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!