IGNORED

"Hey! While we're young!" - USGA Pace of Play

clarkgriswold
Note: This thread is 3840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I like little bitches. Besides, they're the ONLY redeeming factor when play is slow. Kinda like an oasis, a skimpy dressed, flesh flashing, little bitch of an oasis with a trailer full of beer and snacks. Mmmmmm, beer, I think I'll play golf after work.

I think if you call her a little bitch, you'll end up getting snubbed by the cart girl, No beer for you! :p

Originally Posted by trackster

Well that is kind of a "duh" statement.  The only thing is that there is more than one factor that causes players to play slow.  If a course wanted to speed up play they cannot place the burden on slow players, because I guarantee you that it will not be fixed.  All it takes is pace of play guidelines that are enforced by course management.  If you take 14 minutes per hole that is 4:12 pace, which to me is still ungodly slow.  However, it is still a lot better than the 5+ hour rounds we have heard of.  Have marshals on the course.  If your 14 minutes is up on the hole you pick up and move on, simple enough.

Yea, a lot of people can't get past the "Duh" statements can't they. Mostly i think they just don't want to be blamed for slow play themselves, so they rather point the finger at management. Of course it can't be our fault, can't it :p

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by saevel25

I think if you call her a little bitch, you'll end up getting snubbed by the cart girl, No beer for you! :p

You're underestimating my animal magnetism and the power of my department store cologne.

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

You're underestimating my animal magnetism and the power of my department store cologne.

Lol! Old Spice or English Leather? The bosomy 20 year old college girls here love my awesome bucket hay...

Colin P.

Course management, club pro and course marshals have to take part of the blame.  If golf course staff know that their average customer is a hacker and on their busy days they do the following;

• Make everyone tee off from the back of the tee boxes, especially on par 3's.
  • Leave the fairways narrow and the rough long so more balls are lost and take longer to find.
  • Set the tee times to a shorter intervals to fit more slots in the day
  • place the hole in a tough to reach location on greens with 11+ stimp reading

They are just as responsible for slow play as the golfers that play their course.  Even the USGA acknowledges that having a marshal driving around yelling at people to pick up the pace on a course with a difficult set up filled with 25+ handicappers and 8 minute tee time gaps doesn't work and isn't the solution.

Joe Paradiso

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I'm a little uncomfortable with all this talk of getting rid of the beer cart girl...

Wait!  I have a fantastic idea!  Let's use the Beer Cart Girl as a rabbit like at the Greyhound races!  She will move along at a ~3:30 pace and all the drooling hacks will play faster to keep up with her!  Why didn't I think of this before!

Call Glen Nager!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf View Post

Course management, club pro and course marshals have to take part of the blame.  If golf course staff know that their average customer is a hacker and on their busy days they do the following;

• Make everyone tee off from the back of the tee boxes, especially on par 3's.
  • Leave the fairways narrow and the rough long so more balls are lost and take longer to find.
  • Set the tee times to a shorter intervals to fit more slots in the day
  • place the hole in a tough to reach location on greens with 11+ stimp reading

They are just as responsible for slow play as the golfers that play their course.  Even the USGA acknowledges that having a marshal driving around yelling at people to pick up the pace on a course with a difficult set up filled with 25+ handicappers and 8 minute tee time gaps doesn't work and isn't the solution.

there is nothing unreasonable about this post (the middle two bullets are very applicable in general)

this is true, as well as slow play habits of some golfers, not instead of

It's NOT 'either/or' ---- it can be both.  the whole response of "WHAT?  you pointed out additional reasons for the issue?  Therefore I have to argue against you by pretending that you are invalidating all the other concerns - even if you aren't" is really not value added.

Why do internet forum debates always play out binary?  I'll never figure that out.

Quote:
Let's use the Beer Cart Girl as a rabbit like at the Greyhound races!

FINALLY, a truly inspired program that will make a real difference.  And put extra girls at the end of the 18th hole as a bonus to finish.  (Golf really is still full of dirty old men.....just like tennis, skiing, running, etc etc etc)

Bill - 

Originally Posted by boogielicious

Wait!  I have a fantastic idea!  Let's use the Beer Cart Girl as a rabbit like at the Greyhound races!  She will move along at a ~3:30 pace and all the drooling hacks will play faster to keep up with her!  Why didn't I think of this before!

Call Glen Nager!

Believe it or not, I don't drink when I'm golfing but I also play fast so no issues there. Even so, this would work for me too as I could catch her at the 19th where I typically drink like a fish.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I don't play golf in FL during the summer months. It's too hot

Iasac, as a player where ya gonna go when there's no holes open in front of you? Please come up with the solution instead of trying to put bullet holes in everyone elses posts who disagree with you. I want to see you or anybody else get everyone to play fast. God, the police have been trying to control the speed limits on highways for many years and they can't do it. And you think some retired guy as a ranger who gets to play for free on Monday's is going to be your savior?

One course I play at has no starter. You see the pro (real high paid cashier) in the shop, pay your way, walk to the 1st tee with your buddies and you stand in line and hit when it's your turn. Kinda like going to a deli counter. Every round there is 5+ hours and the cart girl is friendly. Doesn't sound like there's any emergency there to follow the lead of the USGA.

I bet Iasac will still blame the problem on the golfer.

Oh!!! in Downtown Boston there's a great track named Franklin Park GC. When you play the back nine you better play fast or you'll get some cold iron stuck in your belly with some young guy asking for your wallet.

One solution to playing fast

I don't play golf in FL during the summer months. It's too hot :-P Iasac, as a player where ya gonna go when there's no holes open in front of you? Please come up with the solution instead of trying to put bullet holes in everyone elses posts who disagree with you. I want to see you or anybody else get everyone to play fast. God, the police have been trying to control the speed limits on highways for many years and they can't do it. And you think some retired guy as a ranger who gets to play for free on Monday's is going to be your savior? One course I play at has no starter. You see the pro (real high paid cashier) in the shop, pay your way, walk to the 1st tee with your buddies and you stand in line and hit when it's your turn. Kinda like going to a deli counter. Every round there is 5+ hours and the cart girl is friendly. Doesn't sound like there's any emergency there to follow the lead of the USGA. I bet Iasac will still blame the problem on the golfer. Oh!!! in Downtown Boston there's a great track named Franklin Park GC. When you play the back nine you better play fast or you'll get some cold iron stuck in your belly with some young guy asking for your wallet. One solution to playing fast :dance:

So who's to blame when David in FL is driving 80 in a 45mph zone.....the police? Hell no, I'M TO BLAME! The police enforce the law to the best of their ability, but ultimately, I'm accountable for my own actions..... ......on the road, and on the course. Sadly, too few people accept that kind of personal responsibility these days. It's always someone else's fault. :-(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

So who's to blame when David in FL is driving 80 in a 45mph zone.....the police? Hell no, I'M TO BLAME! The police enforce the law to the best of their ability, but ultimately, I'm accountable for my own actions.....

......on the road, and on the course.

Sadly, too few people accept that kind of personal responsibility these days. It's always someone else's fault.

The better analogy is:

Who's to blame when you're holding up traffic because you're driving 40mph on a two lane winding road with a 65mph speed limit during a freezing rain and snow storm?

Joe Paradiso

It seems like part of this topic/discussion disconnect is due to not distinguishing between cause and responsibility.

It should go without saying that players cause slow play.  If a player plays fast, then play isn't slow.  Duh.  The next part of the discussion revolves around how much responsibility is on the players to play faster, and how much responsibility the course & management have to supplement their ability to play fast.

For me, the test is subjective but simple: if the player tries to play fast, and still is unable to, then that is the point where the course/management isn't sufficiently keeping up with their portion of the responsibility.  The problem is, in my opinion and experience , most slow players aren't being held back by the starter, marshal or course difficulty/layout, they simply aren't aware they're slow, or they don't really care enough to try and play faster.

Having said that, there are some courses and managers that contribute to slow play, such as allowing 5somes, stacking front and back 9 tee times and/or not properly marshaling the course.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

The better analogy is: Who's to blame when you're holding up traffic because you're driving 40mph on a two lane winding road with a 65mph speed limit during a freezing rain and snow storm?

Not at all. That would be responsible driving, and going faster could be considered irresponsible. I don't think anyone is going to call the group holding up an entire golf course, responsible golfing..... ;-)

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by newtogolf

The better analogy is:

Who's to blame when you're holding up traffic because you're driving 40mph on a two lane winding road with a 65mph speed limit during a freezing rain and snow storm?

No analogies needed around here. It's very obvious what causes slow play. Very seldom are there more than 7 or 8 groups on the course and yet there are STILL people that bog the course down (always tourists).

Most of the time we can see what's going on up ahead and skip to another part of the course but sometimes if by bad luck we run up on the traffic jam at the end of the round, or if the traffic jam is on the holes we already skipped earlier, the only choices are to go home, finish out the round on previously played holes that are empty, or settle in and watch the fiasco.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Not at all. That would be responsible driving, and going faster could be considered irresponsible. I don't think anyone is going to call the group holding up an entire golf course, responsible golfing.....

The point is 65mph is unrealistic given the conditions.  Just as it's not realistic for there to be acceptable pace of play when you've got a bunch of hackers playing 4 ball on a tough course that's using 10 minute tee time intervals.  The course either needs to put a larger gap between tee times or make the course easier / faster to play for us higher handicappers.

Joe Paradiso

The point is 65mph is unrealistic given the conditions.  Just as it's not realistic for there to be acceptable pace of play when you've got a bunch of hackers playing 4 ball on a tough course that's using 10 minute tee time intervals.  The course either needs to put a larger gap between tee times or make the course easier / faster to play for us higher handicappers.

No one is blaming any golfer who has nowhere to go. What we're talking about are those that have room in front of them and still can't get around in a reasonable time..... No course will ever be slow if everyone plays at a 4 hour pace.....no matter what the management does.

In David's bag....

Michael Breed had this wonderful tip today on how to improve pace of play called 1 trip to your bag per shot. Where Instead of taking the extra 2 seconds to put your club away after you hit, you should get in the cart with your club and put it away when you're getting ready for your next shot. He seemed to think it would save me 15 minutes per round. I think he is really on to something with that. (The post up to this point was 100% sarcasm)

I think the only way to approach pace of play is to drill it into young/new golfers heads. If they start slowing greens down to improve pace of play Im gonna be pissed. You know what would be cool would be to add an extra pin to each hole, color coded based on difficulty, kinda like tee boxes.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

You know what would be cool would be to add an extra pin to each hole, color coded based on difficulty, kinda like tee boxes.

Shhhh!!! Don't say that very loudly.

One pin seems like more than enough. Especially when I'm trying to change the pins on soaking wet greens in the rain and just ahead of the first group of golfers like today.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Rymer has done a good job on TGC with his slow play segments. One big issue for me that I observe when I play is just simple inefficient movements. For instance, I notice far too many people park there cart, walk to their ball think about what club they need then walk back and get the club. Just that movement right there slows down play. Take 2-3 clubs and get to the ball and decide and swing. Walking back and forth changing clubs is ridiculous. Another problem is when people leave their cart, bag or a wedge on the wrong side of the green and not in the direction of the next hole. They drain the putt then have to walk in the wrong direction towards the cart or on the wrong side of the green to pick up their wedge. Its inefficient and leads to slow play. Marshalls can only do so much. As an avid golfer, and an albeit fast golfer; I can personally say I have walked off the course twice in my lifetime due to slow play in front of me. It ruins my game (worse than it already is at times) and ruins it for even hackers out there. If you are not competing in the US Open, there is no reason to play in over 4.5 hrs. There is no excuse. I simple guideline I follow and think everyone should follow - practice on the range and play on the course; not vice versa.

• Upvote 1

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Note: This thread is 3840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!