IGNORED

When Is It Worth Not Playing?

TTH83
Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What spectator experience would make it worth missing a day of playing?

• (TV) Any tournament.
    • (In Person) Any tournament.
    • (TV) A compelling Sunday of a tournament.
    • (In Person) A compelling Sunday of a tournament.
    • (TV) A major (including the int'l match play events)
    • (In Person) A major (including the int'l match play events)
    • (TV) A compelling Sunday of a major.
    • (In Person) A compelling Sunday of a major.
    • (TV) "Really Special" Stuff (e.g., someone potentially completing a grand slam)
    • (In Person) "Really Special" Stuff (e.g., someone potentially completing a grand slam)
    • (TV) "Historic" Stuff (e.g., calendar year grand slam, Tiger catching Jack, etc.)
    • (In Person) "Historic" Stuff (e.g., calendar year grand slam, Tiger catching Jack, etc.)
    • I would never pass on playing golf to watch golf.

Brothers and Sisters,

Instead of watching any of the Open Sunday, I went and played. I don't think I would ever choose watching any part of a pro event (on television anyhow) over playing, but I was wondering to what extent I'm representative of the norm.

So, as with all things unsettled in the world, I thought I would see what the internet thought about it. Are there ever any circumstances where you would pass up on playing (and for the sake of discussion, I mean playing a regular round with your friends—not a tournament or outing or anything) in order to watch an event, either in person or on television?

I suppose I might pass up a round to go see a day of a major or the Ryder Cup/President's Cup in person, but I can't think of any golf I'd watch on TV that would be worth missing a day on the course, except maybe if Tiger gets four more majors and is contention for a fifth.

What say ye?

Id pass up playing if its a compelling Sunday of a major or if I have tickets to a tournament.  I typically only pass up playing during the majors.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

That makes sense. I think it would be easier for me to pass up playing if I played on a more regular basis. I just finished grad school and am still more or less on a student's budget. If I could afford to play every weekend (and my wife let me get away with doing so), it would be easier to turn down the opportunity to play when it arose.

Nice profile picture, although I bet Brutus could totally outdrive Bucky.

Attending a Major in person is always a good reason not to play. I would not play to watch a Major as well, but fortunately I don't have to. More often than not, I can get a round in before the TV coverage starts. Best of both worlds.

I can watch golf on my phone so no reason to pass on the opportunity to play. But I don't usually golf on Sun. If there's a chance things will be slow it's the weekend. Before of after is always a possibility. Yesterday I had 3 hours of daylight when it was over.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd have to say only a compelling major (I generally DVR majors and go play due to the lack of people on the course) or something historic like a grand slam attempt or Tiger passing Jack.  I have to say only on TV, because the USGA/PGA seems to not like picking venues in the Southwest for their majors

You can have your cake and eat it too, play and watch later on the DVR. Just make sure you don't get spoiled. Don't go on the interwebs. If you don't have cable, there are plenty of clips on the internet the day after.

I wonder if there is revenue potential in selling the broadcast to be streamed the day after.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

This poll doesn't make any sense.  You can always get a round in before the "back nine" of a major--or afterwards (for the Open, i.e., the British Open).

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Yukari

This poll doesn't make any sense.  You can always get a round in before the "back nine" of a major--or afterwards (for the Open, i.e., the British Open).

Maybe a slight re-wording would help, assuming the OP meant playing while there's golf on TV.  And actually the back-nine talk would only apply to the Masters/US Open, since TNT shows early coverage of the PGA.

This is an interesting post.  Although I DVR the tourneys so I don't miss anything, I see where he is going.  I got in a 'would you do this or that' kind of discussion with some guys once - and one of the questions that came out was would you rather go to Masters or play the Old Course (or some awesome course - can't remember).

Anyway, I found that about half of us were in one camp and half on another with these type questions.  Some people are do-ers and some are watch-ers.  More often than not, I like to go do things rather than watch other people do things - despite my round of 95 at where ever isn't quite as epic as the Masters.

One of the guys was a big Buffalo Bills fan - and I guess by extension NFL fan.  But we just about couldn't come up with something he would rather go do than go to a Superbowl.  I think he spends all day Sunday glued to the TV, Monday night, half the week reading about it, etc.  Probably spent some time on college too.  And didn't gamble.  And that is fine.  I like football too.  And watch a good bit on TV.  But I can't imagine my hobby being watching other people do stuff.

I will almost always choose to play golf over watch golf.  Fortunately, like this last weekend, it's usually easy to do both......

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

I will almost always choose to play golf over watch golf.  Fortunately, like this last weekend, it's usually easy to do both......

Same here, I can watch golf at night.

Joe Paradiso

Being in Australia, all the international tournaments are usually done before I've booked my tee time. Our club did a breakfast and tournament for The Masters final round (Monday here) and it was great to see Scotty get up for the win.

Day is getting heartbreaking to watch in majors that's for sure!

:titleist: 913 D2 8.75* Adilia Tour Green 65 Stiff Shaft

Rocketballz Stage 2 3Wood 15* Stiff Shaft

Victory Red TW Forged Blades 3-PW Dynamic Gold S300 Shaft

CG Forged Dark Chrome CC Gap Wedge 52*

RAC Black TP 56*

:cleve: 588 RTX 60*

White Smoke IN-12 Blade Putter     Penta TP5

I always play in the morning on weekends, so it is not a choice I ever have to make.

I am usually in the bar before noon, which is generally before television coverage starts.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

I was at Denny's where a guy completed a grand slam. it wasn't that epic really. I would give up one day of golf for the experience of a golf tournament in person. I will assume because others have told me that you see more on TV, I would be done going to tournaments. I would prefer to follow Tiger the whole round but that I assume again is like taking a beating to get into position to get the best seat. As far as TV coverage I would rather play and I do.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I wouldn't pass on playing golf (or hunting, fishing, playing ball, or anything else I like to do) for ANYTHING on TV. I wouldn't have been able to say that before VCR's. If Alabama was playing on TV back then I was watching come Hell or high water.

I also simply don't care very much about watching just any golf tournament in person. How much I care depends on who is in the field.

So by default I picked on a compelling Sunday in person. I can play golf anytime but I have only been to a big tournament (The Tour Championship) one time on a Sunday and the day was dampened when we had to leave and rush my son to the hospital. We would like to go back some day under better circumstances and I wouldn't mind not playing that day at all.

I'm a bit shocked to be honest. Only 6 votes for witnessing something "historic" ??? You'd rather play golf than follow Tiger on the final round of winning his 19th Major?? That kind of stuff only happens once in a generation. I can miss a round of golf to witness that.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

I'm a bit shocked to be honest. Only 6 votes for witnessing something "historic" ??? You'd rather play golf than follow Tiger on the final round of winning his 19th Major?? That kind of stuff only happens once in a generation. I can miss a round of golf to witness that.

You do realize that ALL of the votes for the choices above that one would also be for that one if the other choices weren't there don't you?

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!