IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mizz was a weak Big-12 team two years ago. They didn't just suddenly turn into a national powerhouse because they joined the SEC. Same for Aggy. And the recruiting argument is weak. If anything going to the SEC should hurt recruiting (especially for Aggy) because they're playing away from their Texas base and instead of just competing against Texas and OU for blue chips they're now adding Bama, Fla, UGA. LSU, etc to the competition pool.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mizz was a weak Big-12 team two years ago. They didn't just suddenly turn into a national powerhouse because they joined the SEC. Same for Aggy.

And the recruiting argument is weak. If anything going to the SEC should hurt recruiting (especially for Aggy) because they're playing away from their Texas base and instead of just competing against Texas and OU for blue chips they're now adding Bama, Fla, UGA. LSU, etc to the competition pool.

Playing in the SEC doesn't hurt anyones recruiting.  High school kids know that playing for the SEC will land them on T.V. and frequently.  That is one of the biggest lures to playing in the SEC, other than tradition.  They have their own network so if they aren't already on one of the main cable channels, then most likely they will still be on the SEC network.  This means scouts not attending the game will still be able to see them on a frequent basis.

Also, Mizz and A & M aren't national powerhouses.  Mizz is having a good year in an admittledly down year for the SEC East, especially with Georgia having so many injuries, as well as Florida's QB being hurt.

And as previously discussed, A & M has Manziel, who is arguably one of the best college football players ever.  We'll see how A & M does without him over the next 5 years or so and see if they can continue to do as well as they have this year and last.

Also, I am not sure where the argument keeps coming up that teams can't come into the SEC and be competetive.  I am sure several teams could but that still doesn't change the fact that team for team the SEC has a better all around conference.  Florida State could come play in the SEC and be very competetive but does that mean the ACC is as good as the SEC? No, it means FSU is good enough.

Jeff

This is always an argument I hear used in favor of the SEC, but it's weak, it's convenient, and usually a double standard.  If the bottom of the barrel teams in the SEC upset some of the better teams, then "the SEC is tough."  But if teams in the other conferences lose tough league games, then those conferences are weaker.  "Even Vanderbilt is good" because they beat Georgia.  Even though, their other three wins are against really weak basketball schools.  And you say that all other conferences only have 2 good teams.  Pac-12, for example.

What about UCLA?  They have 2 losses this year, to Oregon and Stanford.

Washington, 3 losses ... Oregon, Stanford, and ASU.

ASU, two losses. Stanford & Notre Dame

I don't have much knowledge of the other conferences, but I don't really need it.  The SEC is good, no question.  Would I argue against them being the best conference?  Nope.  I just think that the argument you present here in favor of the SEC is arbitrary, and weak.

Really??  This comment just shows your SEC bias.  You honestly think Florida State or Ohio State or Baylor don't have a legit chance to "compete" with Alabama?  Or at least as good of a chance as Auburn?  And I'd argue that, from what I've seen this year, and specifically Thursday, that Stanford probably has the best chance of anybody at competing with Alabama.

Of course, "competing" with Alabama might just mean "being able to lose by only 2 touchdowns" or something like that, because they seem that good, but certainly Auburn isn't the only decent option out there to do that.

I agree and disagree with this. Since they are ranked in the top 4 that it gives them a shot at playing with Bama. Do you honestly think FSU, Baylor or OSU would beat Bama? I don't think so. If that's the case, why don't we throw Northern Illinois and UCF into the mix? I do however agree with you about Stanford, I think Stanford is the only team (outside of the SEC) that can/maybe give them a run for their money. But I still think Bama wins. I'm just being realistic (remember Notre Dame)! Like I said I'm not a Bama fan. They are the team to beat. Even though they haven't played yet, I think Auburn is the only chance to take them down.

Phillip

Playing in the SEC doesn't hurt anyones recruiting.  High school kids know that playing for the SEC will land them on T.V. and frequently.  That is one of the biggest lures to playing in the SEC, other than tradition.  They have their own network so if they aren't already on one of the main cable channels, then most likely they will still be on the SEC network.  This means scouts not attending the game will still be able to see them on a frequent basis.

Also, Mizz and A & M aren't national powerhouses.  Mizz is having a good year in an admittledly down year for the SEC East, especially with Georgia having so many injuries, as well as Florida's QB being hurt.

And as previously discussed, A & M has Manziel, who is arguably one of the best college football players ever.  We'll see how A & M does without him over the next 5 years or so and see if they can continue to do as well as they have this year and last.

Also, I am not sure where the argument keeps coming up that teams can't come into the SEC and be competetive.  I am sure several teams could but that still doesn't change the fact that team for team the SEC has a better all around conference.  Florida State could come play in the SEC and be very competetive but does that mean the ACC is as good as the SEC? No, it means FSU is good enough.

Not disagreeing with you - because I can't imagine, either, how playing in the SEC could hurt anybody's recruiting, however, the fact that they have their own network isn't really a big deal.  The Pac-12 has their own network.  The Big-10 has their own network.  I believe the Big 12 also has their own network, and perhaps even the ACC (not sure about that one though).

I agree and disagree with this. Since they are ranked in the top 4 that it gives them a shot at playing with Bama. Do you honestly think FSU, Baylor or OSU would beat Bama? I don't think so. If that's the case, why don't we throw Northern Illinois and UCF into the mix? I do however agree with you about Stanford, I think Stanford is the only team (outside of the SEC) that can/maybe give them a run for their money. But I still think Bama wins. I'm just being realistic (remember Notre Dame)! Like I said I'm not a Bama fan. They are the team to beat. Even though they haven't played yet, I think Auburn is the only chance to take them down.

No, I don't.  At this point, I don't really see anybody beating Alabama.  But from what I've seen, if I got to cherry-pick any opponent for them that I thought had the best chance to beat them, I'd take Stanford.  Then I'd take Florida State, then probably Baylor, Oregon, Ohio State, probably Missouri too, all before I'd choose Auburn.  Of course, towards your point ... Auburn does have the benefit of being Bama's biggest rival.  Teams can suck royally all year, yet still find a way to get up for their big rivals.  Nobody else has that automatic, built-in hatred for Bama.

My point was simply that there are a lot of teams out there better than Auburn that could give Alabama a game.

And I'm offended that you derisively said we should throw Northern Illinois and UCF into the mix, but did not include the best remaining undefeated non-AQ team out there  ... my FSU Bulldogs!!! ;)

Not disagreeing with you - because I can't imagine, either, how playing in the SEC could hurt anybody's recruiting, however, the fact that they have their own network isn't really a big deal.  The Pac-12 has their own network.  The Big-10 has their own network.  I believe the Big 12 also has their own network, and perhaps even the ACC (not sure about that one though).

No, I don't.  At this point, I don't really see anybody beating Alabama.  But from what I've seen, if I got to cherry-pick any opponent for them that I thought had the best chance to beat them, I'd take Stanford.  Then I'd take Florida State, then probably Baylor, Oregon, Ohio State, probably Missouri too, all before I'd choose Auburn.  Of course, towards your point ... Auburn does have the benefit of being Bama's biggest rival.  Teams can suck royally all year, yet still find a way to get up for their big rivals.  Nobody else has that automatic, built-in hatred for Bama.

My point was simply that there are a lot of teams out there better than Auburn that could give Alabama a game.

And I'm offended that you derisively said we should throw Northern Illinois and UCF into the mix, but did not include the best remaining undefeated non-AQ team out there  ... my FSU Bulldogs!!! ;)

If I am a 5-star recruit and have a chance of going to any school in the country, I would choose a SEC school. Why? Regardless if we like it or not, we all know that the SEC gets the most attention.Stats speak for themselves, the SEC has been the best conference over the last +/- 10 years. As far as a SEC Network, it's about time they got theirs.

Golfindad,

I think in the end we are somewhat on the same page. If I had to cherry pick any opponent (right now) to play Bama I would choose:

1. Auburn

2. Stanford

3. Florida St.

4. Baylor

5. Oregon

6. Mizzou

7. Clemson

8. OSU

Sorry to offend you about FSU, I didn't realize they were undefeated. So if N. Illinois and UCF has a shot at a BSC game, so should FSU!

Phillip

If I am a 5-star recruit and have a chance of going to any school in the country, I would choose a SEC school. Why? Regardless if we like it or not, we all know that the SEC gets the most attention.Stats speak for themselves, the SEC has been the best conference over the last +/- 10 years. As far as a SEC Network, it's about time they got theirs. Golfindad, I think in the end we are somewhat on the same page. If I had to cherry pick any opponent (right now) to play Bama I would choose: 1. Auburn 2. Stanford 3. Florida St. 4. Baylor 5. Oregon 6. Mizzou 7. Clemson 8. OSU Sorry to offend you about FSU, I didn't realize they were undefeated. So if N. Illinois and UCF has a shot at a BSC game, so should FSU!

Lol ... Was being 100% facetious about FSU. But they actually do have a very legit shot at a BCS game if they win out. They have to get to #12, or stay between 12 and 16 and stay ahead of one auto qualifier. (And stay ahead of NI)

Lol ... Was being 100% facetious about FSU. But they actually do have a very legit shot at a BCS game if they win out. They have to get to #12, or stay between 12 and 16 and stay ahead of one auto qualifier. (And stay ahead of NI)

Texas will help you out with that. After we beat Okie St and Baylor we'll win the Big-12 but probably won't be ranked better than 18th.

Kevin

That's a pretty biased opinion considering you failed to mention:

All of the teams you've listed have/or will play at least 4 ranked teams. Tennessee has had one of the toughest schedules ever. They played 7 ranked teams, 5 of which were in the Top 10, the others in Top 20. Kentucky has also played a similar schedule.

Oregon- played 3 ranked teams

FSU- played 3 ranked teams

Baylor- will play 3 ranked teams

Ohio St- only 2 ranked teams

Stanford- You can make a strong argument about them , even though they have lost 1 game they have still played 5 ranked teams,

Its hard to play a tough out of conference schedule and get respect when the majority of the ranked teams are from the SEC.

I

What 2 ranked teams has Ohio State played?   I just looked at their schedule:

Buffalo

San Diego State

California

Florida A&M;

Northwestern

Iowa

Penn State

Purdue

Illinois

Indiana

Michigan

Of those, exactly none are ranked.. if they are lucky, Michigan State wins out and they get one in the Big 10 championship game.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

What 2 ranked teams has Ohio State played?   I just looked at their schedule: Buffalo San Diego State California Florida A&M; Northwestern Iowa Penn State Purdue Illinois Indiana Michigan Of those, exactly none are ranked.. if they are lucky, Michigan State wins out and they get one in the Big 10 championship game.

Wisconsin, who gave them a good game. The margin of victory was a last second Hail Mary at the end of the first half.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Wisconsin, who gave them a good game. The margin of victory was a last second Hail Mary at the end of the first half.

Yep..   Missed that one..  My bad...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

What 2 ranked teams has Ohio State played?   I just looked at their schedule: Buffalo San Diego State California Florida A&M; Northwestern Iowa Penn State Purdue Illinois Indiana Michigan Of those, exactly none are ranked.. if they are lucky, Michigan State wins out and they get one in the Big 10 championship game.

Wis was #23 when they played and NW was #16 ... So, those two teams ;)

Why does it matter if it was a Hail Mary pass or not. It wasn't really a Hail Mary pass because it wasn't a heave up for luck. A WR beat the Wisconsin DB in the end zone and was wide open. It wasn't luck, it was a broken assignment by Wisconsin. Which is a football play. It isn't like today's Cincinnati game were the Baltimore DB tipped the ball to AJ Greene.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Why does it matter if it was a Hail Mary pass or not. It wasn't really a Hail Mary pass because it wasn't a heave up for luck. A WR beat the Wisconsin DB in the end zone and was wide open. It wasn't luck, it was a broken assignment by Wisconsin. Which is a football play. It isn't like today's Cincinnati game were the Baltimore DB tipped the ball to AJ Greene.

I don't care ... All I know is Green is on my fantasy team and I lucked into about 11 points on that play. ;)

I don't care ... All I know is Green is on my fantasy team and I lucked into about 11 points on that play. ;)

I know, I hate that shit, total BS points ;)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Just saw this.  Interesting...not sure whether it's particularly important in the grand question of whether NCAA players will ever get paid, but it's interesting.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9949204/players-seek-future-revenue-ncaa-pursue-damages

Kevin

I agree with you on the recruiting but I can also see how people will think being in the SEC can hurt recruiting.  I assume their thinking is that there are more teams trying for the same recruits and most guys aren't going to give in to the teams on the bottom of the totem pole.  But I believe that playing in the SEC will help recruiting as well.  Not that the network specifically has anything to do with it.  The amount of top 25 teams and championships are the lure.  And with Bama rolling.....that's just stirring the pot

On a side note, I sure thought UT had it in them to win 7 games this year.  I am seeing some really good stuff to build from though!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

I know, I hate that shit, total BS points ;)

The irony is that at the time I cheered because I knew he was on one of my teams.  However, that team is going to lose anyways ... and as it turns out, in my other league, he is on my opponents team, and I'm currently losing by 8 points.  Argh.

Anyways, back to regularly scheduled programming ....

The problem with ND as @saevel25 mentioned is their offense pretty much lives or dies with how well Tommy Reese is playing. Aside from BYU and Stanford, I would also be wary of Pitt since they played a close game in 2012. ND will probably win that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was close.

I thought ND would win that game, but I did say it would be a close game. I didn't watch it, but just looking at the recap, ND made a lot of mistakes in the 4th quarter.

Despite USC's struggles, they still have a narrow shot at winning the Pac-12 South. Of course, USC has to get past Stanford this weekend. I don't see that happening, but I'll remain hopeful. ASU has to lose at least one game and it should come at the hands of UCLA in a couple of weeks.

At this point in the BCS, I don't see how we don't end up with Bama vs FSU in the title game. FSU's only obstacle is Florida and considering how the Gators played against Vandy, I don't see how FSU loses that game. Auburn is a good team and think it will be a good game against Bama, but Auburn has struggled a lot against ranked teams - LSU, TA&M;, and Ole Miss. They are 2 and 3 against these teams, but it wasn't easy. If they do struggle against a barely ranked Georgia this Saturday, I would say Bama has no problems with Auburn.

Considering how Stanford shut down Oregon's powerhouse offense, I would love to see Alabama vs. Stanford. I think this would be a close, low-scoring game.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Note: This thread is 3717 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!