IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Spyder

I second the tOSU (Go Buckeyes!) championship this year. As far as the Heisman goes, I have no idea but I'm hoping Braxton Miller has a breakout year and takes it home, but I doubt it will happen.

Depends on much Braxton has improved in his reads.  Last year he took to long through his progressions and it was more of an ad-lib offense.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

If Bama and tOSU played 10 times this year, I think Bama would win at least 7 of those times. tOSU just doesn't match up well against Bama.

For the record, I only think tOSU makes it to the NC this year because the Big 10 (12) is a cakewalk.

I agree with you on the cakewalk argument. However, I also don't believe that anyone can say "X team beats Y team for the championship, period.". Hell, look at what the Blackhawks just did. All it takes is a cold day in hell and the Buckeyes would be capable of anything on any day, especially under Meyer.

I agree with you on the cakewalk argument. However, I also don't believe that anyone can say "X team beats Y team for the championship, period.". Hell, look at what the Blackhawks just did. All it takes is a cold day in hell and the Buckeyes would be capable of anything on any day, especially under Meyer.

That's why I didn't say Bama would win 10 out of 10. Yes tOSU might win a handful of times, but I think Bama is a tough team for tOSU to match up against this year, and would win more than they would lose against the Buckeyes.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

That's why I didn't say Bama would win 10 out of 10. Yes tOSU might win a handful of times, but I think Bama is a tough team for tOSU to match up against this year, and would win more than they would lose against the Buckeyes.

I was referring to GaijinGolfer there.

If Bama and tOSU played 10 times this year, I think Bama would win at least 7 of those times. tOSU just doesn't match up well against Bama.

For the record, I only think tOSU makes it to the NC this year because the Big 10 (12) is a cakewalk.

And Alabama's schedule less of a cake walk?  LSU and A&M; can give them a good game, but that's about it.  And they probably only have to win one of those.  I suppose they should get a third tough match up in the Championship.  But they basically play 3-4 teams that can conceivably beat them.  Going by their opponents' 2012 records, Bama's 2013 opponents were 75-73 last year.  That ranks 75th. http://fansided.com/2013/06/13/2013-college-football-strength-of-schedule/ If you don't count the losses to Alabama, their SOS goes up to about 50th, right around that of South Alabama and Temple.  Ob viously not the best way to rank SOS, but its telling nonetheless.

The strength of SEC schedules is the biggest myth in sports.  ALA, FL, LSU, SC, GA, A&M;, good teams for sure.  But when they split the divisions it doesn't make much sense to treat ALA as if they're in the same conference; ALA only plays two of them.

If Alabama loses to LSU and A&M;, but wins against Chattanooga and Alabama Central High School, ending the season 10-2, do they fall out of the top 10?  The schedule guarantees them a top 10 finish. So basically you've got a bunch of teams guaranteed to go 10-2, 11-1, 12-0, because they beat the crap out of 8 or 9 terrible teams and split against each other.  Whoever wins the SEC championship is then a shoe-in.  Its also a good formula to guarantee a bunch of top 10 teams.

Not to say those 6 teams aren't among the best in the country, or that any other conference can match those 6, but its not like these guys are beating up on each other all year long.

My pick:  Bama 27 over OSU 21 in a game that isn't as close as the score indicates.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

And Alabama's schedule less of a cake walk?  LSU and A&M; can give them a good game, but that's about it.  And they probably only have to win one of those.  I suppose they should get a third tough match up in the Championship.  But they basically play 3-4 teams that can conceivably beat them.  Going by their opponents' 2012 records, Bama's 2013 opponents were 75-73 last year.  That ranks 75th. http://fansided.com/2013/06/13/2013-college-football-strength-of-schedule/  If you don't count the losses to Alabama, their SOS goes up to about 50th, right around that of South Alabama and Temple.  Obviously not the best way to rank SOS, but its telling nonetheless.

The strength of SEC schedules is the biggest myth in sports.  ALA, FL, LSU, SC, GA, A&M;, good teams for sure.  But when they split the divisions it doesn't make much sense to treat ALA as if they're in the same conference; ALA only plays two of them.

If Alabama loses to LSU and A&M;, but wins against Chattanooga and Alabama Central High School, ending the season 10-2, do they fall out of the top 10?  The schedule guarantees them a top 10 finish.  So basically you've got a bunch of teams guaranteed to go 10-2, 11-1, 12-0, because they beat the crap out of 8 or 9 terrible teams and split against each other.  Whoever wins the SEC championship is then a shoe-in.  Its also a good formula to guarantee a bunch of top 10 teams.

Not to say those 6 teams aren't among the best in the country, or that any other conference can match those 6, but its not like these guys are beating up on each other all year long.

My statement said nothing of the SEC or it's comparability to the Big 10. In 2013, I don't think tOSU has a serious threat in the conference, and out of conference games against Buffalo, Florida A&M;, and San Diego State (yep, the SEC is the only major conference to schedule easy out of conference games) should mean that tOSU finishes the year undefeated.

Tyler Martin

The strength of SEC schedules is the biggest myth in sports.

Riddle me this: when was the last time a non-SEC team won the BCS? For bonus points, when was the last time a non-SEC team defeated an SEC team in the BCS national championship?

Tyler Martin

My statement said nothing of the SEC or it's comparability to the Big 10. In 2013, I don't think tOSU has a serious threat in the conference, and out of conference games against Buffalo, Florida A&M;, and San Diego State (yep, the SEC is the only major conference to schedule easy out of conference games) should mean that tOSU finishes the year undefeated.

That's beside the point.  I was just looking for an opportunity to bash the SEC's cupcake schedules and you gave me a small opening.  It was all I had to go on.

Riddle me this: when was the last time a non-SEC team won the BCS? For bonus points, when was the last time a non-SEC team defeated an SEC team in the BCS national championship?

These SEC has unfair advantages.  Schools elsewhere require their athletes to satisfy some level of academic standards.  SEC teams get an extra month of practice while their opponents study for finals.  Alabama players were also juiced on deer antler spray.

Let's not forget how the other SEC giants performed in bowl games last year.  LSU lost to an ACC team.  Florida lost to  a Big East team.  Miss St lost to a Big 10 team.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

Don't forget the 02 Fiesta Bowl when the Bucks were 14 point dogs to the "great" U team that had a 40 some odd win streak.

That's beside the point.  I was just looking for an opportunity to bash the SEC's cupcake schedules and you gave me a small opening.  It was all I had to go on.

Fair enough.

Originally Posted by dsc123

These SEC has unfair advantages.

Yeah, we're in the SEC and everyone else isn't.

Schools elsewhere require their athletes to satisfy some level of academic standards.

True, all SEC schools offer terrible educations, and every other school in the country holds student athletes to the same standards as regular students.

Alabama players were also juiced on deer antler spray.

Bama would never cheat. *cough* *cough*

Let's not forget how the other SEC giants performed in bowl games last year.  LSU lost to an ACC team.  Florida lost to  a Big East team.  Miss St lost to a Big 10 team.

Yeah, and South Carolina demolished Michigan, Georgia took down Nebraska, and A&M; game Oklahoma the beating of a lifetime.

Tyler Martin

Ohio State has a good team, a good QB and a great coach, but considering the way the Big 10 as a whole has been down the past few years, an unbeaten record does not assure them of a shot at the national championship.     Unless the Big 10 as a whole makes a huge turnaround this year, I suspect it will take everyone else having lost at least one game and the SEC champ will have to have lost 2 before Ohio State gets into the top 2.   My prediction is LSU against either the Big 12 or Pac 12 champ.

I see the Heisman as completely up for grabs.   Manziel is too full of himself to repeat and he isn't gonna sneak up on anybody, so I could see A&M; ending up with about 7 wins.   Miller has a ton of talent but again, he is in the Big 10 and that will give voters a reason to avoid him if they want one.   McCarron has a decent shot if 'bama plays like 'bama can but my guess is the winner will be somebody that isn't even on the radar right now...

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I think you and I see this eye to eye!

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I think you and I see this eye to eye!

Probably right.

Originally Posted by teamroper60

My prediction is LSU against either the Big 12 or Pac 12 champ.

This will only happen if our defense grows up quickly. We lost a lot from last year's team. On top of that, we have a pretty tough schedule this year (@UGA, @MSU, UF in back-to-back-to-back weeks, also TCU in Arlington, @Bama, and A&M;). If our defense plays well and the offense doesn't make mistakes, I could see us with only 1 loss. I think 2-3 is much more likely, however.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by teamroper60

Ohio State has a good team, a good QB and a great coach, but considering the way the Big 10 as a whole has been down the past few years, an unbeaten record does not assure them of a shot at the national championship.     Unless the Big 10 as a whole makes a huge turnaround this year, I suspect it will take everyone else having lost at least one game and the SEC champ will have to have lost 2 before Ohio State gets into the top 2.   My prediction is LSU against either the Big 12 or Pac 12 champ.

I see the Heisman as completely up for grabs.   Manziel is too full of himself to repeat and he isn't gonna sneak up on anybody, so I could see A&M; ending up with about 7 wins.   Miller has a ton of talent but again, he is in the Big 10 and that will give voters a reason to avoid him if they want one.   McCarron has a decent shot if 'bama plays like 'bama can but my guess is the winner will be somebody that isn't even on the radar right now...

The Big 12?  lol

Sure it does, they are a power school, have one of the best coaches in the past decade, who has two NC under his belt. Doesn't matter, if OSU goes undefeated there in. I doubt there's another school out there who could bump OSU out. The only concern would be an undefeated OSU, and an undefeated OU team. Does either one of those bump out a 1 loss SEC team. That is a long shot to happen, but its one hypothetical that might cause a bit of an issue.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

That's just it. The Big 10 is only a power conference in name. They aren't really a power conference in terms of on field play. Haven't been for several years. I believe an undefeated OU or Pac 12 team and a one loss SEC team will trump an undefeated Ohio State, which is the impetus behind my prediction.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

That's just it. The Big 10 is only a power conference in name. They aren't really a power conference in terms of on field play. Haven't been for several years.

I believe an undefeated OU or Pac 12 team and a one loss SEC team will trump an undefeated Ohio State, which is the impetus behind my prediction.

Don't let facts get in the way of your opinion....BCS bowl wins;

SEC-17

Pac12 - 13

Big10 - 12

Big12 - 9

ACC - 3

Note: This thread is 3721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!