IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A point you have to consider though is recruiting.  You are obviously a fan of Fresno State.  I honestly have never seen Fresno State play a football game.  Some of it has to due with me being EST and some of it to do with them being a smaller school.  However, if Fresno State was able to make the playoffs it would do quite a few things to help their program.

1) It helps them get exposure to people who generally would never see them play and also helps them to get on National Television.

2)It helps build the prestige of the program and to build a history.

3) #1 and #2 combine to help the school get new recruits that can better the program and increase their chances of winning.

If Fresno State was #16 this year and they had to play Florida State they are still going to be on National T.V. in a large atmosphere type game.  If they lose, they were still seen playing in a great atmosphere and potential recruits get excited about that.  If they win, even better, because they just beat a powerhouse team in a playoff environment.  Never mind the fact that they may not be able to win that second game.  That win against FSU would help them out in a lot of ways and also they would get big $$ for it.

Whether it would benefit those teams and help them gain ground to equality over time is another subject from whether they are there yet and "deserve" (in some opinions) to be in a NC game.

I don't disagree at all that they could quickly gain equal status if they were thrown into an automatic qualifying conference and got all of the exposure and money that goes with it. They are simply playing with a recruiting, financial, and facilities disadvantage at the present time that doesn't allow them much depth.

A point you have to consider though is recruiting.  You are obviously a fan of Fresno State.  I honestly have never seen Fresno State play a football game.  Some of it has to due with me being EST and some of it to do with them being a smaller school.  However, if Fresno State was able to make the playoffs it would do quite a few things to help their program.

1) It helps them get exposure to people who generally would never see them play and also helps them to get on National Television.

2)It helps build the prestige of the program and to build a history.

3) #1 and #2 combine to help the school get new recruits that can better the program and increase their chances of winning.

If Fresno State was #16 this year and they had to play Florida State they are still going to be on National T.V. in a large atmosphere type game.  If they lose, they were still seen playing in a great atmosphere and potential recruits get excited about that.  If they win, even better, because they just beat a powerhouse team in a playoff environment.  Never mind the fact that they may not be able to win that second game.  That win against FSU would help them out in a lot of ways and also they would get big $$ for it.

If we're talking about a 16 team playoff with no automatic invites, and we're also assuming that the minimum financial gain (assuming you lose in the first round) is at least equal to that of the current BCS system, then yes, I'd agree with you.  However, anything short of a 16 team playoff and the chances of a school like Fresno State making it are likely less than they are of them making a BCS game.  (Where they are guaranteed something like 5 million, and the conference is getting something like 11 million)

If they didn't lose last week, and they win the title game this week, then they're likely going to be 14th in the BCS.  If Ohio State demolishes MSU, then perhaps they could even get to 13th.  If they could get to 12th, they automatically get invited to the BCS party, and even at 13th or 14th - as long as they are ahead of UCF and NIU - they still get invited.

I'm not sure how the new 4-team playoff system would affect non-AQ teams chances, because instead of the BCS rankings, all of the teams are chosen by committee.  There is no way to know how those committees will choose the at-large teams for the four non-playoff bowl games.  If it's something close to what is going on now, then I guess their chances go up a little bit ... simply because now there will be 12 teams in the "party" (playoffs + the other 4 marquee bowl games) instead of only 10.

Though, the more and more we discuss this, and the more and more I research it, I'm starting to think I'm really going to like the new system.

------------------------------------------------

As far as recruiting is concerned ... it's not a big deal that you don't watch them.  Even teams at the highest levels are largely recruiting locally, and Fresno States games are almost all on TV out here anyway.  Plus, unless they get to the level of winning national titles, they're never going to out-recruit SC and UCLA, and Oregon, and ASU out here.  Their exposure isn't on ABC at 5pm Saturday, but they are the ESPN networks and CBS Sports network quite a lot.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't disagree at all that they could quickly gain equal status if they were thrown into an automatic qualifying conference and got all of the exposure and money that goes with it. They are simply playing with a recruiting, financial, and facilities disadvantage at the present time that doesn't allow them much depth.

Sorry for the double post.

Yes, this is what teams like Fresno State and Boise State really need if they want to gain ground.  I just wish that when the Pac-12 expanded, they brought these two teams instead of Utah and Colorado. ;)  Or perhaps next time they expand they'll include us. :)

Anybody hearing the Gus Malzahn to Texas rumors?

I hope not. I think he is one of the best coaches out there for offensive schemes and play calling (a linebacker's worst nightmare) and even though he will undoubtedly be responsible for more miserable days for me I like watching the challenge.

Anybody hearing the Gus Malzahn to Texas rumors? I hope not. I think he is one of the best coaches out there for offensive schemes and play calling (a linebacker's worst nightmare) and even though he will undoubtedly be responsible for more miserable days for me I like watching the challenge.

Sounds more like posturing for contract renegotiation with Auburn.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Anybody hearing the Gus Malzahn to Texas rumors?

I hope not. I think he is one of the best coaches out there for offensive schemes and play calling (a linebacker's worst nightmare) and even though he will undoubtedly be responsible for more miserable days for me I like watching the challenge.

Texas is going to want someone that can win, that is for sure.  There are only a few coaches out there that Texas would want and if Nick Saban is off the list that would open it up to someone like Malzahn.  It could be posturing but if there is any truth to it Auburn better try to re-sign him up right now.  Nick Saban may be one of the only coaches that would turn down the Texas job.  The money and recruiting potential would be amazing.

Jeff

Sorry for the double post.

Yes, this is what teams like Fresno State and Boise State really need if they want to gain ground.  I just wish that when the Pac-12 expanded, they brought these two teams instead of Utah and Colorado. ;)  Or perhaps next time they expand they'll include us. :)

When the Pac-10 expanded, there were a bunch of potential schools mentioned, like BYU, Boise State, etc. They were not included because of the institution's academic reputation or the breadth of academic programs offered, or something like that.  I can't remember exactly, but it was not athletics that excluded some schools. Evidently, Utah and Colorado met those requirements.

5 days until heisman ballots. Who gets it?

Right now, I think Winston will win, but I can see some voters are hesitant because of the possibility of him getting charges against him.

Seriously though ... I don't know.  Are enough voters going to be scared of choosing Winston before his legal troubles are cleared up?

We will find out in less than 2 hours whether or not Winston is in the clear, or if he's in a whole mess of trouble.  Assuming he's innocent (because if he's not, then ***k him) then it will be interesting to see how many people already turned in their ballots using this case as a reason not to choose him.  Hopefully very few.

Side note:  There will be no Ron Burgundy on Sportscenter today in light of this serious news.  Good call.

We will find out in less than 2 hours whether or not Winston is in the clear, or if he's in a whole mess of trouble.  Assuming he's innocent (because if he's not, then ***k him) then it will be interesting to see how many people already turned in their ballots using this case as a reason not to choose him.  Hopefully very few.

Side note:  There will be no Ron Burgundy on Sportscenter today in light of this serious news.  Good call.

ESPN reporting that no charges will be filed. At least that's out of the way.

ESPN reporting that no charges will be filed. At least that's out of the way.

Just saw that. It's not official, but if that stands, then Winston is almost a clear cut winner for the Heisman.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Just saw that. It's not official, but if that stands, then Winston is almost a clear cut winner for the Heisman.

Definitely ... assuming that not too many of the dummy voters turned in their ballots already.  I would certainly expect ( and hope) that they didn't ... but you never know with those sportswriters. ;)

Definitely ... assuming that not too many of the dummy voters turned in their ballots already.  I would certainly expect ( and hope) that they didn't ... but you never know with those sportswriters. ;)

Is State Attorney Willie Meggs chewing on a jawbreaker during this press conference or chewing on his false teeth?

Is State Attorney Willie Meggs chewing on a jawbreaker during this press conference or chewing on his false teeth?

I don't know but they made a mockery of that press conference.  Laughing and telling jokes at a press conference in relation to a sexual assault?  Incredible.

Jeff

I don't know but they made a mockery of that press conference.  Laughing and telling jokes at a press conference in relation to a sexual assault?  Incredible.

Yep. About as unprofessional as anything I've seen. Not having evidence to make a case is one thing. What amounts to public disrespect for an alleged victim is another.

Yep. About as unprofessional as anything I've seen. Not having evidence to make a case is one thing. What amounts to public disrespect for an alleged victim is another.

The operative word there, is alleged victim.....the one that had sex with at least 3 different guys that night.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The operative word there, is alleged victim.....the one that had sex with at least 3 different guys that night.

That has no bearing on the professionalism of the States Attorney, even if it was accurate. He said were two DNA examples in the rape kit and the States Attorney had no way to know when each was deposited, and said as much.

No way to assume any guilt from those samples but also no way to assume that a woman didn't have consensual sex with a person (a boyfriend) and get assaulted by another person later.

That possibility (no matter how slight) in no way means she is telling the truth but it certainly should afford a complainant a more professional response.

If multiple DNA samples was the deciding criteria for deciding criminality any woman that had just had sex would be free game to being assaulted.

For the record I don't think he's guilty of a crime at all but I fully understand the heat the States Attorney is getting and will continue to get, not about whether to charge or not, but on the press conference.

No, I think the operative word is "unprofessional."  We have no idea what happened that night.  She could have been raped and Winston is a felonious liar, and she could be the scum of the earth making up stories trying to harm a guy for no earthly reason.  Either way, the subject matter dictates the tone of the press conference, and that tone shouldn't include eating gumballs, joking, and disrespecting people in public.

(All of my info, BTW, is from you guys in here ... I have not seen the press conference)

No, I think the operative word is "unprofessional."  We have no idea what happened that night.  She could have been raped and Winston is a felonious liar, and she could be the scum of the earth making up stories trying to harm a guy for no earthly reason.  Either way, the subject matter dictates the tone of the press conference, and that tone shouldn't include eating gumballs, joking, and disrespecting people in public. (All of my info, BTW, is from you guys in here ... I have not seen the press conference)

We're told that all evidence will be released. No doubt the prosecutors are anxious to show exactly why they won't be charging him. It'll be interesting to see if he sues her for defamation......I doubt he will though. I imagine he'll just put it behind him as a lesson learned as to what notoriety can bring.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3723 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!