IGNORED

2013 NCAA College Football

LucasBP
Note: This thread is 3722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Very possible. Always seemed strange that he used the same plays and formations that McElwain used and I've heard Saban make the statement that you couldn't teach proper defensive techniques in practice using a hurry-up spread offense.

Also possible that the Auburn game showed Saban he needed to go in another direction offensively (which he's never done before). Most of the best high school quarterbacks are coming out of spread systems and it's getting hard to find the pocket passer that can compete with them. Not a whole lot of Peyton Mannings or Tom Bradys around.

I don't think a drastic change is in order (it's not like Alabama has fallen off of the map) but a tweak or two wouldn't hurt. At least put a fullback in the backfield like LSU does at a minimum.

Yet both of those teams in the NFL run shotgun up tempo offenses, just saying :-D

Here's the thing. Up Tempo spread offenses can run the same routes as pro style or west coast. Its just window dressing, and a little tweaking. Look at USC when they had Reggie Bush. They were single back 3 wide outs + TE. Pro style, they power ran with and they threw it all over the place. Spread is just a loose term for using the whole field, primarily with quick screens. It use to be power run, get the safeties up, stretch the field vertically. Now its quick hits up the middle, hit the edge with speed, force the inside DB to commit to the edge run, and then throw sideline for quick screens, then its also stretch the field vertically.

The key to any offense is pick an identity, and go with it. If Saban wan'ts to run a power football with a fullback, then he should commit to it. The worst thing you can do is try to do something they are not.

Its what drove me crazy with Ohio State. When they fed Hyde all year, would run him 12 times in a row in the 2nd half in a lot of games. Just wear out defensive lineman. Yet they get into the Big Ten title game, and the Orange Bowl, and they key up design runs with Braxton Miller. I mean, WTF. Didn't do that all year long, except for two games. They had a RB who averages 7.5+ yards a carry, and they give it to the QB to run. Hyde falls down for 3-4 yards, and if he gets on a linebacker or DB, he isn't going down till another 4 yards. The worst thing a team can do is do something they are not.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Make no mistake. My thinking has nothing to do with losing games. I thought Alabama would be lucky to win 9 games this year so I think they did a great job.

My thinking is that he already had the highest paying contract and I wouldn't have let him threaten me into re-negotiating it. If he doesn't want to coach at Alabama for the contract he had I would have let him go.

None of those coaches you mentioned came around after every season with an implication they were leaving if they didn't get a new contract. They were very happy where they were.

P.S. Sorry for not using the multi-quote but I didn't see this comment.

Ok, I can understand the idea of not re-negotiating.   That just wasn't how I took your post when you said you would have been ok with a fresh face, new ideas and a few years of mediocrity.  To me that sounds like somebody who was ready to throw in the towel over a couple of losses.

Anyway, my comments weren't so much directed at you (even though I quoted you and referred to you).  It was more the mindset that leads fans and school adminstrations to become disillusioned after a (by school standards) bad season or two.

I suspect you are right that those coaches didn't imply they would leave without a shiny new contract.   Of course we don't know that because back then, such things were talked about as openly.   But it doesn't change the fact that they stayed in place for long periods of time and I believe that continuity played a huge part in each of them being as successful as they were.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Well Lane Kiffin got the job at Alabama, and judging by the reaction of fans you would think they just elected a convicted felon as Pope.

Always interesting to hear comments from people that don't know one end of a football field from the other. Hard to tell the difference between Alabama fans and fans of other teams that seem to care way more than they should for some reason.

I don't quite get the latter. Can't say that I ever gave a crap about another team hiring an assistant coach. If anything, and I thought he was a terrible coach, I would be happy for him to be hired by another team so I would have a better chance of beating them.

The theme among the few Alabama fans that are looking on the bright side is that Saban will keep his thumb on him and keep things the way they are now...(I certainly hope not).

Well Lane Kiffin got the job at Alabama, and judging by the reaction of fans you would think they just elected a convicted felon as Pope.

So how long will it take to know if this is a good hire/bad hire?

When the media start reporting about Kiffin's attitude during spring practice or when Bama beats West Virginia by 80 to start the season :-D ?

Paul

So how long will it take to know if this is a good hire/bad hire?

When the media start reporting about Kiffin's attitude during spring practice or when Bama beats West Virginia by 80 to start the season?

:-D

One thing is for sure. All of the people making negative comments already have "I told you so!!!!!" typed in and saved on Word, so the first thing that goes wrong all they have to do is cut and paste and hit submit.

They will probably get their chance early since there may not even be a starting quarterback on campus.

I saw where one fan wrote "Well there goes the NC next year." Immediately I thought of the video clip of Jim Mora saying "PLAYOFFS? YOU TALKING ABOUT PLAYOFFS?"

They act like they've forgotten how hard it is to win a NC (spoiled). A winning record in conference is hard enough.

I simply can't wait and hope that Tennessee returns to its former self, and soon.  The Bama/UT rivalry is already great.  Throw in D-bag Kiffin and it just got even better!

Jeff

• 3 weeks later...

Bigger head scratcher to me for Alabama than hiring Lane Kiffin:

I was hoping for offensive moves in another direction but signing FSU's backup quarterback Jake Coker (who will graduate from FSU this Spring) is not exactly the change of direction I was thinking of.

A pocket passer with 3 star throwing mechanics (but a decent arm) that has 2 years of eligibility left isn't a direction Alabama usually takes.

Makes me wonder about the (missed?) recruiting evaluations of all of the other quarterbacks already on the team.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10363430/outside-lines-northwestern-wildcats-football-players-trying-join-labor-union

Interesting development!!

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10363430/outside-lines-northwestern-wildcats-football-players-trying-join-labor-union

Interesting development!!

Yep. Both a court case and the aftermath could be extremely complicated. If they were to be deemed employees I wouldn't want the job of trying to figure out all of the possible repercussions with respect to both having a relatively level playing field among teams and what to do with other sports that are funded by football revenues if part of that pie ever goes to players.

Many athletic departments lose money as it is. Could really hurt the "minor" sports and especially the minor men's sports if it goes far enough.

I don't think they would be considered employees. An employee is someone hired to do work and then is compensated. In any regard they could easily say they are being compensated due to the fact they are given scholarships.

If you want to get around the paying the players. You know what the colleges should do. Don't hand out scholarships, and then pay them the amount of the scholarship as pay. Then tell the player. Ok make a choice, spend it how ever you want, but you are a student here, so here is the bill for your education. Give them all partial, and give them the rest as payment. Its basically a break even scenario. Except for those who don't have scholarships. So it isn't the whole doom scenario.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Wow never noticed this thread before but I am a huge college football and long-time Florida State fan.

Congrats to any Tide fans out there. Marlon Humphrey (No.15 in ESPN 2014 300 Rankings) just committed to you guys over FSU.

Wow never noticed this thread before but I am a huge college football and long-time Florida State fan.

Congrats to any Tide fans out there. Marlon Humphrey (No.15 in ESPN 2014 300 Rankings) just committed to you guys over FSU.

I guess I'm the only Tide fan representative on this page. Ha ha!

I thought maybe Jeremy Pruitt's connections with Hoover, and that sometimes it's hard to follow in a dad's footsteps, might lure Marlon to FSU but I'm glad he decided to stay home.

I'm still scratching my head over getting Jake Coker but who knows. His FSU former teammates seem to think he was pretty good. Just not good enough to play in front of Winston, which is true of just about everybody.

I guess I'm the only Tide fan representative on this page. Ha ha!

I thought maybe Jeremy Pruitt's connections with Hoover, and that sometimes it's hard to follow in a dad's footsteps, might lure Marlon to FSU but I'm glad he decided to stay home.

I'm still scratching my head over getting Jake Coker but who knows. His FSU former teammates seem to think he was pretty good. Just not good enough to play in front of Winston, which is true of just about everybody.

I think Pruitt leaving FSU to go to Georgia really cost the Noles with Humphrey. Pruitt was really their only chance to land him. Alabama had the hometown advantage plus his father went there plus he's a CB and will get to be coached by Saban.

Everything I heard about Coker was positive. I'm disappointed to lose him because I think Winston is out the door after next season but I think the kid needs a chance to play. I've heard talk that he could have an NFL future. I gotta believe he will come in and compete for the starting job at Alabama right away.

I think Pruitt leaving FSU to go to Georgia really cost the Noles with Humphrey. Pruitt was really their only chance to land him. Alabama had the hometown advantage plus his father went there plus he's a CB and will get to be coached by Saban.

Everything I heard about Coker was positive. I'm disappointed to lose him because I think Winston is out the door after next season but I think the kid needs a chance to play. I've heard talk that he could have an NFL future. I gotta believe he will come in and compete for the starting job at Alabama right away.

In a way I was surprised that Pruitt left FSU for Georgia but he's never been afraid to jump out of a comfort zone, which is true of most successful people. Georgia is closer to home and he likes Mark Richt so it might have been as simple as that.

In a way I was surprised that Pruitt left FSU for Georgia but he's never been afraid to jump out of a comfort zone, which is true of most successful people. Georgia is closer to home and he likes Mark Richt so it might have been as simple as that.

I definitely think that stuff played into it. FSU was also paying him $500k a year and Georgia offered $850k, which FSU wasn't willing/able to match. :doh: I'm really disappointed to see him go. I think he's a great coach and a great recruiter. Hopefully it doesn't mean a drop-off in performance on the defensive side of the ball next season.

Looks like the SEC is having another stellar recruiting season/National Signing day.  Florida/A &M;/Bama/Auburn/Tennessee/LSU/ will most likely be in the top 10.

Ole Miss/Kentucky may end in the top 20.

That only leaves South Carolina, Mississippi State, Vanderbilt, and Missouri not in the top 20.

I am surprised Kentucky (on paper) recruited better than both Mizzou and South Carolina.  It is obvious the coaching change at Vandy really hurt them.

I am really amped up right now in regards to Butch Jones at Tennessee.  To pull off a potentially top 8 recruiting class after 4 straight horrible seasons is impressive and I am looking forward to 2-3 years down the road.

Jeff

National Signing Day : (How did your team do?)

The "experts" like Alabama's class but I would trade several recruits for a couple of the quarterbacks that signed with other teams.

I like LSU's class a lot. Not looking forward to facing Shawn White at Auburn (but at least took Evans (from Auburn) away from Auburn. I also think Tennessee did very well.

Edit: Funny that SloverUT and I commented about 5 seconds apart. :beer:

Note: This thread is 3722 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!