IGNORED

Myrtle Beach Course for High Handicap

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Guys -

I will be heading down to Myrtle Beach in a few weeks with the little lady and was hoping you guys had some advice for good courses for a new golfer/high handicapper like myself. I'll be playing as a single the whole time if that matters.

Thanks

What part of Myrtle Beach are you going to, There are a lot of courses within driving distance, but if you provide either central, north or south myrtle beach, you might get a couple replies that are closer to your location. Last summer on a visit to Myrtle Beach I played Myrtlewood-Pinehills and thought it was really nice. It's open, but does have several water hazards. It is centrally located, close to Broadway at the beach, along the intercoastal highway. The course was in very good shape went in mid-lat May. The views on the course were very nice too, several holes followed the waterway. Next to the Dunes Golf and Beach Club, this was my favorite of the courses that we played. The price was very reasonable too, around $40 if I remember right.

In The Bag

Driver: Taylormade Supertri 9.5

3 Wood: Titleist 909 F2 

Hybrid: Adams 

Irons: 3-PW Mizuno MP64

Wedges: Vokey SM2 56* and 60*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback #1

My gf's family has a condo at Magnolia Pointe and if I remember correctly it is actually overlooking Myrtlewood which from your post above sounds like where you played. I have never been down to SC myself so I am not sure exactly where Magnolia Pointe is located but if Myrtlewood has solid courses then that would be perfect.

$40 is very reasonable as well

If it is in the area, Myrtlewood would be a great spot to hit. I only played their pinehills course, but they do have another course (Palmetto).

Also, John Daly designed a course in that general area as well, Wicked Stick. It was suppose to be nice and around the same price point. One course I wish that I played was the International World Tour Golf Links. THe course has replicated 27 holes from famous courses around the world and has put these signature holes together in one course. It is more expensive and at the time, we were deciding between this course and The Dunes Golf and Beach Club. The Dunes is $100+ a round, but it is a beautiful course. World Tour is a little less if I remember right.

Towards the end of this thread http://thesandtrap.com/t/56097/share-your-personal-course-pictures there are pictures of the Dunes from myself and another member. I think someone posted pictures from the World Tour Links as well. There might be several pictures from Myrtle Beach courses since it is a popular golf vacation spot.

In The Bag

Whispering Pines on Harrelson Blvd, near the airport is also a good course. Their rates were $39 morning, $35 afterenoon, & $29 twilight. It is one of my favorites. The used to allow walking if that is important. Pretty open and has a nice driving range. This golf course is owned by the City of Myrtle Beach, and was the old Air Force base course.

There are a couple in the area like Beachwood, Azalea Sands and Possum Trot that are generally considered "Family Friendly", meaning they aren't terribly difficult and can cater to all kinds of handicaps at a reasonable price. If you can get a Wednesday time at The Barefoot Love course ($60, normally $100+), it's a course that isn't terribly difficult with it's 5 sets of tees and very few forced carries other than the 9th hole (215 yd par 3 from whites). The only thing I can think of is how you feel about going out solo with your admitted high handicap and hooking up with strangers. But a trip to Myrtle Beach is a must for anybody. There are a couple of Par 3 courses as well for some giggles. Cane Patch and Midway are lit for night play- I think "Tupelo"(?) is also down there, but that is a bit higher quality. They have an Executive as well as a Par 3 course. As a sidenote- The Dunes club is closed for replacement of the greens

Well most of my regular golfing buddies are all single digits and have been playing for a long time so I'm used to being the worst one in the group and to be honest I just love to play. I know its a tad different with strangers but there are usually only 2 or 3 of us so I play a lot with strangers now.

I'm going to be down there anyways and for someone who loves to play I'm not going to let playing solo stop me. I figure if I stick to the tamer courses I won't get paired with anyone too good/serious and 9/10 times the people I get paired with are great guys and offer nothing but encouragement. I know when to pick-up or drop a ball to keep the pace going, especially when with others.

that certainly is the right attitude to have to enjoy yourself. I have a buddy who isn't "bad", but isn't great either. He absolutely refuses to go out as a single because he thinks he isn't good enough and would be embarrassed to go alone. He only will go with us or one of us, and trying to show him that the guy we hooked up with is worse than he is and HE didn't mind going out by himself falls on deaf ears.

Well that's the other thing, more than enough times the guys I get paired up with are just as bad if not worse. Even when I've played with good players and some of my buddies at times take the game seriously they all have been supportive and I know when to not spend 10 minutes looking for a ball.

I definitely understand your friends' apprehensiveness but at some point everyone sucked and even good players think they aren't "good". The game is about having fun and I think even if I was a better player I wouldn't mind with playing with someone who's still learning. Certainly won't let it stop from me playing when I am lucky enough to have free accomodations in MB.

Guys after many years of service I will be departing the Marine Corps. I'm heading to Jacksonville NC to separate and will have about 20-30 days off vacation time before I go on to my next career. I would love it if some of you give me suggestions. I'm looking at hitting at 15-20 course. After I get your suggestion I will then make up a travel pancake to set me self up. Thanks in advance K-cho

Yes, I believe it includes a cart. According to their website if you play in the afternoon, the price drops to $31.

In The Bag

Almost EVERY posted rate in MB includes a cart. there is actually only a few that allow walking anyway. You can check on a courses website about the walking polices.

Best value IMO is World Tour...It's really neat to see all those holes from TV in person, on one course. The Dunes is really nice also, but I preferred WT.

And RayG is right, most course rates include a power cart.

R7

Edge 3-SW with Apex4 Steel shafts

Burner 2.0 AW

Putter

Street Shoes

Glove

I was at MB last fall - always looking for golf on the cheap (tough to find there).      I use golfnow.com & the best deal I could find was at River Oaks Plantation - 27 holes & pretty good track, enjoyed it.     I didn't care much for Indigo Creek - tons of condo's & very tight.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Myrtlewood has 2 courses with the Pinehills course being much easier than the Palmetto. The Wizard is close, affordable, and very playable. Myrtle Beach National - West Course may be the easiest course in the area. Blackmoor is a very nice course, affordable, and quite easy (there are like 7 short dogleg right holes).

Also- check out those little coupon books around town. Almost all will have coupons for many courses. Usually around $10 off the AM rate. But a quick comment on Blackmoor- other recent reviews elsewhere have said it is NOT in good shape this year. As well as being a bit soggy since it is in a low lying area- they have received a LOT of rain in the last few months. Several others are also sufferring from the same problem. Check with the courses or over at the forum at MBGT.com for latest info. Also this is maintenance season, many are aerating.

Also- check out those little coupon books around town. Almost all will have coupons for many courses. Usually around $10 off the AM rate. But a quick comment on Blackmoor- other recent reviews elsewhere have said it is NOT in good shape this year. As well as being a bit soggy since it is in a low lying area- they have received a LOT of rain in the last few months . Several others are also sufferring from the same problem. Check with the courses or over at the forum at MBGT.com for latest info. Also this is maintenance season, many are aerating.

Hmmm...very odd. I played Blackmoor on March 18, March 31, April 10, and June 2. On every single occasion, it was in great shape. It's a top 100 course for women, and my wife loves it there...so we play it often. I'm not sure where the reviews are coming from, but Blackmoor was in great shape a couple weeks ago when I played it last.

Note: This thread is 3956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!