IGNORED

Terrible golfer, but loving the game, do I bother you good golfers?

Scooter212
Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by AmazingWhacker

I totally agree with this.  My swing is not very consistent so practice swings do me no good.  It's not like I can "rehearse" a draw or cut or whatever.  I usually take practice swings on the first hole but once I'm warmed up, I stop taking practice swings.  I figure - maybe that practice swing was a good one and I just wasted it by not hitting the ball!

I tend to give one, rarely two practice swings.  I feel like it gets the feel of the club in my head for that shot.  Saying that, I take those two swings quickly and then take my shot.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

The only thing that bothers me about bad golfers is when they insist of taking multiple practice swings before every shot because they know they are not good and somehow think the practice swing will help them.  That slows down play more than anything and it probably detrimental by the fact that it makes them constantly think about why they are so bad.

F*** the practice swings - when it's your turn, step up there and hit it - I guarantee you'll think less about what you're doing and play better.  What I can't stand is this:

2 Practice swings, hit it 50 yards

2 Practice swings, shank it

2 Practice swings, duff it 5 yards

2 Practice swings....

JUST HIT THE BALL!

Practice swings help me a great deal. I have learned that I have to establish my swing bottom with a practice swing before I hit my irons.

Great advice for high handicappers," Step up and hit". You must be an instructor.

In my bag....

Bombtech Grenade driver. 10.5* Aldila DVS60 stiff, 45"

Ping i20 irons, ProjectX5.5. 5 thru PW.

Tour Edge 3 Hybrid, Adams A7 4Hybrid

Titelist SM4 52-8. 56-12

Cleveland RTX 60-12 wedge.

Tour Edge xcg5 15* 3 Wood

Cheap crappy Wilson putter that works as well as anything for me.

It's a work in progress, I've only been playing for going on two years or so.

Originally Posted by madolive3

Quote:

Originally Posted by chriskzoo

The only thing that bothers me about bad golfers is when they insist of taking multiple practice swings before every shot because they know they are not good and somehow think the practice swing will help them.  That slows down play more than anything and it probably detrimental by the fact that it makes them constantly think about why they are so bad.

F*** the practice swings - when it's your turn, step up there and hit it - I guarantee you'll think less about what you're doing and play better.  What I can't stand is this:

2 Practice swings, hit it 50 yards

2 Practice swings, shank it

2 Practice swings, duff it 5 yards

2 Practice swings....

JUST HIT THE BALL!

Practice swings help me a great deal. I have learned that I have to establish my swing bottom with a practice swing before I hit my irons.

Great advice for high handicappers," Step up and hit". You must be an instructor.

Yes it is good advice.  High handicappers trying to look like a pro bog down the course.  The time for instruction and practice is on the range, not on the course.  If you can't find the level of the ball by addressing it, then you need to learn how to set up properly.  That or you are doing something in your swing which is changing your shoulder position in relationship to the ball on the downswing.   That is often enough caused by allowing your head to move.  You are off balance, or swaying, dipping or lifting up, and a practice swing isn't a cure for that.  It may occasionally work as a band aid, but the only cure is getting to the root of the problem with instruction and practice on the range.

Beginners too often overthink the swing on the course, and that is death (paralysis by analysis - I have a friend who suffers from this, and he plays his best golf when we remind him that he is standing over the ball too long).  If you must "feel" the club, do it before you approach the ball.  I used to do a 3 second miniswing while standing behind the ball picking out my line.  Now I don't do it at all.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You can play in front of me anytime... I'm out to enjoy the game, not race. Also, people don't realize it is simply pace of play, as OPs have mentioned above, not score. I shoot 45 on 9, my father in law shoots 36, can still play together fine, in only hitting the ball once more per hole.

Originally Posted by Scooter212

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.

I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.

Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.

So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

It doesn't matter how good or bad you are.  Look at Sergio and Furyk.  They were pretty much forced to speed up there play.  Just be ready to hit the ball and don't stand over the ball taking multiple practice swings etc.

Originally Posted by Stretch

Play any way you like, as long as you play quickly. Don't worry about your game. Everyone else is too wrapped up in their own to pay much attention. Enjoy yourself.

That is exactly right, most people will not notice your scoring because golf is such an individual game. As long as you do not take away from the experience (ie practice proper etiquette) then you are good to go.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Of course you wouldn't bother me.  Like a lot of us we have or do play with people of all levels of talent and capability.  The best golfer I know is also one of the slowest, with his plumb bobbing, looking at the putt from every angle, taking multiple practice swings, basically all of the things that can make anyone a slow player.  Playing ready golf and not worrying about protocol, simply playing when you're ready to play, will make you a great addition to any foursome.

Note: This thread is 3959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!