Jump to content
IGNORED

Terrible golfer, but loving the game, do I bother you good golfers?


Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.
I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.
Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.
So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Play any way you like, as long as you play quickly. Don't worry about your game. Everyone else is too wrapped up in their own to pay much attention. Enjoy yourself.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As long as you are ready to play when it's your turn and don't have ball searches on every hole you're fine.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Within 4 hours is ok. We all started as diggers not able to hit it twice in a row. I enjoy playing with beginners as long as they keep up the pace.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are playing in 4 hours or less with a group then you are not playing slow, there is no reason for you to bother anyone.

That's a fast round by today's standards.

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm really glad this thread started, as I've been working up the nerve to head to a course on my own for the first time. My wife bought me a gift card for a few rounds to the course down the street from us, I've been wanting to actually get out and play instead of hitting buckets at the range. That's pretty much all I've been doing since starting to play last summer, save for some outings with friends. I've been worried about not being able to keep up with folks I get partnered with, making some gigantic breach of etiquette, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just started playing this spring and last night got out last night for the first time on my own to play nine holes.  There was a twosome (guy and wife/girlfriend) in front of me and another single behind me.  After lurking around these forums I had "pace of play" paranoia and rushed my first few holes.  After a while, I realized two things.  First, I was waiting for the twosome in front of me so my pace was just fine as it was and second, if my pace was really bad, the guy behind me would/should have said something.  As it turns out, I let the guy play through while I was looking for a ball in tall grass and we ended up playing the last hole together.  He was a super nice guy and now I wish I had just asked if he wanted to play together from the beginning.


So, moral of the story... don't dawdle but don't rush either, don't worry about the people behind you, and have fun (that's why you're playing the game, right?)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

Fully agree with this, hell, we all started this way.  Also, don't hesitate to pick up your ball if need be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by mtsalmela80

If you are playing in 4 hours or less with a group then you are not playing slow, there is no reason for you to bother anyone.

That's a fast round by today's standards.

I would rather play with a 200 handicap good pace player than some Big Break wanna-be single digit that takes 10 minutes a shot.

nuff said

Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Scooter212

I looked at a few threads, pace of play coming to mind mostly.

I am terrible at this game, have not actually played a course in 3 years, but have started getting my clubs out again at the driving range. Finally I can hit a drive straight at least once in every 5 or 6 or so shots.

Anyway, I was looking at the "pace of play" thread, and got to thinking, does my very poor swing and just horrible game bother people?? I can play through relatively quick, around 4 hours or less, obviously depending on who I play with. Scores are low tho, I don't think I have hit under 110 yet, so I have more to learn for sure.

So pro's, do I bother you at the course, or am I good to go?

Cheers

Scooter.

Not a problem Scooter.  One of the regulars I play with back in Colorado shoots consistently in the high 90's, but he doesn't screw around.  He plays quickly when he's up, he even plays by the rules.  He has good etiquette - he doesn't walk on other players' putting line, doesn't interrupt one's backswing, repairs ball marks even though he doesn't make one of his own that often, etc.  He's always happy on the course.  In all he's a good guy to play with.

We all started at the beginning in this game, and those who are unwilling to accept that people like you are just at the point we were once at are just snobs.  I enjoy playing with relative beginners, because it gives me a chance to help them over that first speed bump of learning good etiquette and conduct on the the course.  Playing skill and rules knowledge can come later, but knowing good conduct and playing without delay is what will get you accepted in just about any fourball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am a fellow hacker who loves the game - I only started breaking 100 this year but I've been playing for 4.  Just a talentless hack.

I show up to the course as a single all the time . .my job lets me sneak out mid-day wheras most of my friend's can't do that.  I have been paired up with literally hundreds of strangers of varying ability and not once has my lack of golf skill annoyed anybody.

The trick, I find, is to be friendly, have fun and keep up with your group.  These days, if I'm playing well I don't need to do much to keep up . .but in the past I would take measures such as not looking for lost balls, picking up my ball and advancing it to the spot where I wished I would've hit it . .etc.

I've exchanged numbers with more than a few single digit type players who are just grateful to find a playing partner that is available mid-week, is generally a nice guy and who plays fast.

Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as pace of play is good, no one should care how good or bad you are.  My normal foursome (son, dad and Father-in-law)  played in a little over 3 hours a week ago and 2 people were both over 100 (names withheld to protect the innocent).  Like some have said, most people would rather play with a total hack that can play at a good pace of play than a scratch player that slows everyone down.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hear, hear!!!

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not a problem Scooter.  One of the regulars I play with back in Colorado shoots consistently in the high 90's, but he doesn't screw around.  He plays quickly when he's up, he even plays by the rules.  He has good etiquette - he doesn't walk on other players' putting line, doesn't interrupt one's backswing, repairs ball marks even though he doesn't make one of his own that often, etc.  He's always happy on the course.  In all he's a good guy to play with.

We all started at the beginning in this game, and those who are unwilling to accept that people like you are just at the point we were once at are just snobs.  I enjoy playing with relative beginners, because it gives me a chance to help them over that first speed bump of learning good etiquette and conduct on the the course.  Playing skill and rules knowledge can come later, but knowing good conduct and playing without delay is what will get you accepted in just about any fourball.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The only thing that bothers me about bad golfers is when they insist of taking multiple practice swings before every shot because they know they are not good and somehow think the practice swing will help them.  That slows down play more than anything and it probably detrimental by the fact that it makes them constantly think about why they are so bad.

F*** the practice swings - when it's your turn, step up there and hit it - I guarantee you'll think less about what you're doing and play better.  What I can't stand is this:

2 Practice swings, hit it 50 yards

2 Practice swings, shank it

2 Practice swings, duff it 5 yards

2 Practice swings....

JUST HIT THE BALL!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone mentioned "if you play under four hours, etc....". If you play at ANY local PUBLIC course here in the NY/LI area then you will be persona non grata, because you would be bullying your way through everyone out there. I would say as long as you keep up with the PACE OF THE DAY- 4hrs, 4.5 or whatever, that's fine. You can't expect to zip around ANY course around here on a busy day in 4 hours.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Note: This thread is 2959 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    Whoop
    SuperSpeed
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo and the code "iacasjun21" for 10% off SuperSpeed.
  • Posts

    • Played 27 Holes today made 7 birdies today finally birdied the 1st, just the second and third left to birdie.
    • I’ll pass that along to him and his people.  👍
    • Played my second round (ever) at the course that I think will be a home course for me next year (the complex has two 18s... I have played the other 18, but not in over a decade).  Birdied #13 to improve my away composite to five birdies and a total of -4 (I still have yet to par a hole nine in 2021 ... anywhere).  My two-round composite at that course is a 77.  By contrast, no birdies so far at my home course (well beyond two rounds played... and at least three scheduled in the next two weeks!), and three holes there I've yet to par.
    • Jesus, it’s not just white people who are offended. Just because he isn’t doesn’t mean many more native Americans are not. This line of logic is just idiotic. 
    • I talked to my buddy, 100% Navajo, about this thread.  His response was to shake his head, laugh and say “Leave it to the arrogant white man to tell us what we should be offended by…” Just thought I’d share.  I’m sure the arrogant white men here will continue to tell him he’s wrong though…  😂  
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. CrappyGolfer
      CrappyGolfer
      (68 years old)
    2. Jacob Vance
      Jacob Vance
      (25 years old)
    3. jax731
      jax731
      (54 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...