IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

(edited)

Went to the range to work on one piece takeaway and trying to focus on hip turn to initiate downswing. One thing is for sure, I let my swing get too long, however my wrist angle is much better at the top. It's almost completely flat. Going to keep working the slow motion mirror/camera work at night. I'm also going to go back to the shortened swing with abbreviated follow through to continue reducing the flip. I think I still ended up steep on the downswing because of how long I allowed my backswing to get. We'll see tomorrow when I go back to the range.

*bonus left that horrid shot at the end*

Also, never guess who I ran into in my little rinkydink town, @Rob Thompson!!

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I do think your setup is a tad better. Though your hands are still too close to your thighs. 

Here is what I see, 

From A1 to A2 your hands drive out away from your body. You have zero hip turn. 

a1.JPG

A2.JPG

This causes the club to pivot around your hands, sending it behind you on a flat plane. The green line is your hand path. You should be more towards the red line, but that movement is driven by proper turn rates. With the red path you can keep the club from tipping over flat. 

A3.JPG

Then you get into the trouble at A4 with the club tipping over the top and pointing way right. That is the natural movement the club wants to make from the way your hands are traveling from A2 to A3 to A4, and with the club being flat at A3.  

In this position at A4 your club wants to reroute in transition and this this causes it to get steep at A5.

A4.JPG

See below how your club is steeper at A5 the it is at A3 above. 

A5.JPG

The only way to save it is for you to lose your spine tilt from A5 to A7, to stand up, and you do that. 

For set up get those hands away from your body. You should see a hand width between your thighs and the butt end of the club. I would also look at starting your swing with just turning. You need to carry them inward with hip turn. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I do think your setup is a tad better. Though your hands are still too close to your thighs. 

Here is what I see, 

From A1 to A2 your hands drive out away from your body. You have zero hip turn. 

a1.JPG

A2.JPG

This causes the club to pivot around your hands, sending it behind you on a flat plane. The green line is your hand path. You should be more towards the red line, but that movement is driven by proper turn rates. With the red path you can keep the club from tipping over flat. 

A3.JPG

Then you get into the trouble at A4 with the club tipping over the top and pointing way right. That is the natural movement the club wants to make from the way your hands are traveling from A2 to A3 to A4, and with the club being flat at A3.  

In this position at A4 your club wants to reroute in transition and this this causes it to get steep at A5.

A4.JPG

See below how your club is steeper at A5 the it is at A3 above. 

A5.JPG

The only way to save it is for you to lose your spine tilt from A5 to A7, to stand up, and you do that. 

For set up get those hands away from your body. You should see a hand width between your thighs and the butt end of the club. I would also look at starting your swing with just turning. You need to carry them inward with hip turn. 

Ok, so hands further away from body at address. And you want me to turn my hips sooner in the backswing or are you saying to start the backswing with my hips? As far as the overswing, yeah that dang overswing just likes to creep back in every time I start focusing on new stuff.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

4 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, so hands further away from body at address. And you want me to turn my hips sooner in the backswing or are you saying to start the backswing with my hips? As far as the overswing, yeah that dang overswing just likes to creep back in every time I start focusing on new stuff.

Yes, turn the hips sooner. It's nearly impossible for you to gain proper depth with the hands when your hips stay still from A1 to A2.5. Let that back knee lose some flex and let the hips turn much sooner. 

You can do this with a mirror. Just take your set up, and then look back at the mirror. While looking at the mirror just focus on turning your hips and body, and letting that carry the club to A2 more. Then the club can set more vertically from A2 to A3. This way you can see what you are doing. You can do this with out hitting golf balls. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

2 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Yes, turn the hips sooner. It's nearly impossible for you to gain proper depth with the hands when your hips stay still from A1 to A2.5. Let that back knee lose some flex and let the hips turn much sooner. 

You can do this with a mirror. Just take your set up, and then look back at the mirror. While looking at the mirror just focus on turning your hips and body, and letting that carry the club to A2 more. Then the club can set more vertically from A2 to A3. This way you can see what you are doing. You can do this with out hitting golf balls. 

I see, I believe what I've done is misunderstood the concept of "one piece takeaway" by focusing on just the upper body when the true idea is to turn the entire body at once. Talk about a big DUH moment for me. Thank you for pointing this out. I'll start on working on an actual one piece takeaway.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

8 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Thank you for pointing this out. I'll start on working on an actual one piece takeaway.

Don't worry about it being a one-piece takeaway or not. Just work on stop sending the hands out from A1 to A2, and getting a better turn. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

14 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Don't worry about it being a one-piece takeaway or not. Just work on stop sending the hands out from A1 to A2, and getting a better turn. 

So, this morning I did some slow motion takeaway practice focusing on more hip turn to start. I immediately saw what you were talking about with how the club path changed by not moving out and away but more straight back and up. This is going to take getting used to because I've always initiated the backswing with my arms/hands.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

This is going to take getting used to because I've always initiated the backswing with my arms/hands.

Yep :-D 

Lots and lots of slow mirror work is the best. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Went to the range because it was either that or try to get a round it before the rain. Good thing I went to the range because the rain didn't hold off nearly long enough to get the round in. Focused on better hip turn in the takeaway. Seeing small improvements coming through from the slow motion work. Still need to work on flattening out the wrist more but it's still better than it used to be.

backswing start improvement.jpg

Still a ways to go, but good to see improvement. Going to keep up the slow motion work at home

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Spent more time playing than practicing lately. Time to get back to the practice again. Things are a bit better than they were already, but it's too easy for me to just fall into the play all the time mentality. I need to keep focused on dedicating time to practicing. This has always been my pitfall. I know I need to keep working on the slow motion mirror work, but I'm unclear on what I drills to do at the range. I was thinking that I should work on the "fast hands" speed boat thing that Erik posted but wasn't sure if that was something I could use as a drill or if it was strictly just a "feel" thing. Perhaps it would be worth a day at the range experimenting with? It is directly related to my primary issue of key 3/kicking the flip. Everything I'm doing is focused on ways to improve this persistent and infuriating swing flaw.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Spent more time playing than practicing lately. Time to get back to the practice again. Things are a bit better than they were already, but it's too easy for me to just fall into the play all the time mentality. I need to keep focused on dedicating time to practicing. This has always been my pitfall. I know I need to keep working on the slow motion mirror work, but I'm unclear on what I drills to do at the range. I was thinking that I should work on the "fast hands" speed boat thing that Erik posted but wasn't sure if that was something I could use as a drill or if it was strictly just a "feel" thing. Perhaps it would be worth a day at the range experimenting with? It is directly related to my primary issue of key 3/kicking the flip. Everything I'm doing is focused on ways to improve this persistent and infuriating swing flaw.

It's both a drill and a feel.

I think you'd benefit from doing a combination of that and the "Preset" drill:

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

8 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's both a drill and a feel.

I think you'd benefit from doing a combination of that and the "Preset" drill:

Thanks Erik, I'll be going to the range today and I'll work on those two things. If I can I'll get some video doing the drills to confirm I'm doing them correctly.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

OK, spent time at the range doing some preset drills and "speedboat" drills/feel swings.

I don't think I was doing the preset drills quite right, just felt really weird/uncomfortable.

For the "speedboat" thing I did a practice swing really trying to feel the fast hands then hit the ball. This one is probably the most frustrating to me because I intentionally took the practice swing over the ball to try to emulate an actual swing as much as possible but when I did the actual swing it was nowhere near what the practice swing was.

So, I tried one more time to get the faster hands feeling into the swing. The first one in the sequence is probably the best looking except for the damn standing up part causing me to blade the shot. On top of trying to speed up my hands I tried to initiate the downswing with the hip slide/bump. Some were successful and some weren't I think. I do know that post impact I'm still letting the club overtake my hands and I'm curious if that's something I need to worry about right now as well or if it's something that will fix itself once the flip is gone and I'm not focusing on the fast hands.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

You didn't really push the hips forward - you simply put your head back.

And look at the finish: not quite what I'd done:

Analyzr Image Export 50%.jpg

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

You didn't really push the hips forward - you simply put your head back.

And look at the finish: not quite what I'd done:

Analyzr Image Export 50%.jpg

Well that explains why it felt so weird. 

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

(edited)

Ok, so tonight I will work on doing the preset drill correctly. Also, I think there were some bright spots in the "speedboat hands" feeling as I grabbed these stills from the last video.

quick caps.jpg

Neither of these is perfect but are much improved. This is probably the first time I've been able to hit this close to the proper position at impact with full swings since that one day over a year ago. So it seems like perhaps the combination of these two drills may be the key for me, in addition to the slow motion mirror work. Exciting times, but I'm going to try to temper the excitement a bit until I can see myself hitting positions like these on a more consistent basis.

That said, Night and Day improvement over the beginning of the month.

night - day.jpg

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

You're right, too - those are better.

Tonight was a quick range session. Just wanted to test working on the "speedboat hands" feel to see if that was all I needed to do. Nope, definitely need to do that and the preset drill. I did take the opportunity to test out the Ping Crossover as well. Threw in 3 swings of that and 3 swings with the 7 iron face on. Also grabbed a couple driver swings. While the results from the driver swings were nice high long draws I know the swing isn't very good so it needed to be filmed for advice. Though I'm pretty sure I know part of what I am doing wrong.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: