IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

Keep at it, Jeremie. I'm still plugging away at my issue, and even though progress is slow, I think there's progress. Little by little. I'm keeping up with your progress, but not much to add other than I'm nodding my head, agreeing how hard it is to change the picture sometimes. 

By the way, I think the youtube video link is private (the one that won't embed). That's the error I get when I click it.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Keep at it, Jeremie. I'm still plugging away at my issue, and even though progress is slow, I think there's progress. Little by little. I'm keeping up with your progress, but not much to add other than I'm nodding my head, agreeing how hard it is to change the picture sometimes. 

By the way, I think the youtube video link is private (the one that won't embed). That's the error I get when I click it.

Ah, thanks, not sure why it was private because I never set them to private but I changed it so hopefully it will work now.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

• Administrator

Part of the "smack my hands" is the hand path. Now, you're going to struggle with it because you go shallow to steep, so you have to throw out the angle a bit, but you can still do a bit more.

Analyzr Image Export 50%.jpg

In this image, the right dots trace the BoC on the downswing. The green dots are an exaggerated "better" hand path.

You are trying to slap the green wall with the back of your left hand, yet your first move is to move your hands along the red arrow rather than along the green arrow.

Note that this pushes your elbow out away from you, and you're at 145° at A6.

Now again a good chunk of it is the shallow to steep move (you can really see it with the driver, even from FO), because you're trying to shallow the clubhead by tossing away your lag, but still, the hand path could be better as you work on the speed boat feeling.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

(edited)
23 minutes ago, iacas said:

Part of the "smack my hands" is the hand path. Now, you're going to struggle with it because you go shallow to steep, so you have to throw out the angle a bit, but you can still do a bit more.

In this image, the right dots trace the BoC on the downswing. The green dots are an exaggerated "better" hand path.

You are trying to slap the green wall with the back of your left hand, yet your first move is to move your hands along the red arrow rather than along the green arrow.

Now again a good chunk of it is the shallow to steep move (you can really see it with the driver, even from FO), because you're trying to shallow the clubhead by tossing away your lag, but still, the hand path could be better as you work on the speed boat feeling.

Due to my swing plane issues would you say it would benefit me to work on fixing the shallow to steep problem right now as well or would that just complicate things too much?

*On a side note, it looks like I'm doing a better job of the hip bump and staying down better on my swings. I noticed my head is dropping a bit and only raising up to about it's original position through most of the swing. I could be wrong, I haven't really checked it closely just looked like it here*

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Due to my swing plane issues would you say it would benefit me to work on fixing the shallow to steep problem right now as well or would that just complicate things too much?

I think keep doing what you're doing and be content with lower pulls right now so long as they're solid.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just now, iacas said:

I think keep doing what you're doing and be content with lower pulls right now so long as they're solid.

OK.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ok, so I stopped at the range again tonight. I was trying to get the feeling of getting my hand path closer to the green arrow on your picture. This is definitely one of those feel ain't real things because it felt like I was bringing them way closer than I really was.

change maybe.png

I don't really see much difference and focusing on that I lapsed on the speedboat/slap the wall idea. Arghh, so frustrating. :mad:

Here's the video for these swings.

I'm not giving up, I'm going to keep working on the faster hands and getting my hands to come down on a better path. This is still progress and it's much better than what I had seen previously, I'm just going to have to keep remembering to embrace the process and be happy with each small step I make.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

(edited)

Forgot to post my DTL video. Nothing new here really unfortunately. Main positive is I'm still doing a pretty decent job of keeping from cupping my left wrist on the backswing because it's pretty flat at the top. That's nice to see since it's something I struggled with for a long time. Thing is I've no clue what I did to fix that.

Edited by Jeremie Boop

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Ok, so I stopped at the range again tonight. I was trying to get the feeling of getting my hand path closer to the green arrow on your picture. This is definitely one of those feel ain't real things because it felt like I was bringing them way closer than I really was.

change maybe.png

I don't really see much difference and focusing on that I lapsed on the speedboat/slap the wall idea. Arghh, so frustrating. :mad:

Here's the video for these swings.

I'm not giving up, I'm going to keep working on the faster hands and getting my hands to come down on a better path. This is still progress and it's much better than what I had seen previously, I'm just going to have to keep remembering to embrace the process and be happy with each small step I make.

If you need me to elaborate let me know, but…

• The hand path looks better.
  • You have to do the hand path and the speed boat feel (which also means you can start down slower and keep speeding up, rather than slowing down prematurely).
  • There's only so much you can do with where the shaft and sweet spot are going. As I've mentioned before.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you need me to elaborate let me know, but…

• The hand path looks better.
  • You have to do the hand path and the speed boat feel (which also means you can start down slower and keep speeding up, rather than slowing down prematurely).
  • There's only so much you can do with where the shaft and sweet spot are going. As I've mentioned before.

I'm glad you mentioned that, because that reminds me that is how I was hitting those much better impact positions originally earlier this week. I'll combine the feel I'm using for the hand path with the slow start and speeding up of hands on the way down.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Enjoyed playing a round of golf today. For the first time in awhile I felt comfortable with the driver in my hands. Outside of some pulls I was able to hit a lot more fairways than I have for some time. Still struggling a bit with distance control with my wedges, but that's something I think I will be able to work on once I get my swing in better shape. Still putting pretty well and averaging under 2 pph. It is nice to see improvement on the course to go along with the improvement I see when I record my swing. I'm going to keep working on the two swing thoughts at the range and the slow motion work at home to keep working at ingraining these new swing elements.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

On 5/25/2016 at 8:12 PM, iacas said:

This post actually is very interesting. My mind is stubborn at the range and thinks that the red dots would be preferred to the green. 

If there were to be preferred dots for DTL view, I would guess that my actual dots are more vertical, but the preferred dots are more horizontal (moving toward the ball more and less down). 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

This post actually is very interesting. My mind is stubborn at the range and thinks that the red dots would be preferred to the green. 

If there were to be preferred dots for DTL view, I would guess that my actual dots are more vertical, but the preferred dots are more horizontal (moving toward the ball more and less down). 

I thought it made sense because there's a lot of wasted energy going out, around, then down as the red dots do. I understand what Erik was meaning about why I do that, I use it as a means to shallow out my swing after steepening it on the downswing. And I definitely am hitting a lot more pulls as he anticipated with the improved hand path. I'm hoping to get this part of the change ingrained fairly soon so that I can address the shallow to steep swing plane issue. That said, the improvement in my overall striking just making this change has kept me pretty happy. I only wish I had been able to get myself into this mindset a couple years ago, because I'd be much further along in my progression. Better late than never though!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I need to get more video soon. My on the course swing is producing better results with a significant increase in driver distance as well as fairways and greens hit. I've seen a regression in my short game and putting so I may take a couple days to work on those or at the very least take some time during my next practice round to work on them. 3 putts, flubbed/bladed pitchs/chips, and not committing to shots 30-70 yards out are costing me quite a few strokes.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Weather wasn't conducive to playing today so went to the range to take a look at the top end of my bag. I tested my 4 iron against a couple of hybrid replacements, didn't really like how they flew. The ball flight was just way way too high. Then I tested my Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid against the Ping 3 Crossover and the Cobra Baffler in 17.5*. I loved the flight on the Crossover when I hit it well, but unfortunately I was less consistent with it than I was with my Aeroburner. Overall I hit the Baffler more consistently than anything else, of course that make sense given it has a shorter shaft length to go with the lower loft which achieves the same distance as the Aeroburner. Finally I readdressed a long standing issue of not having a fairway wood. I tested 3 woods from Ping, Cobra, Titleist, Callaway, and TaylorMade. While I hit a few of them fairly well, I was able to hit the XR 16 the best. I went ahead and bought the XR 16 as it was the only thing that was missing from my bag at the moment, it will be nice to have something between my driver and my 3H. However, I will most likely be replacing my Aeroburner with the Baffler for the added consistency. I must say that it felt really really nice to feel comfortable swinging fairway woods for the first time ever.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

So, decided that hiding from playing in the wind wasn't smart since I want to start playing in competitions. I went out with the specific intentions of practicing club selection and shot planning in windy conditions as well as practicing short game from 25-90 yards. Side benefit was being able to use my new 3 wood. I didn't think about score at all and hit multiple balls per hole. Was pretty nice to be out there and not thinking about what my score was and just practice hitting shots.

Towards the end of the round the wind had died down quite a bit to more of a light breeze, however during the process of working on trying to hit knockdown and punch shots I noticed I was actually hitting super solid shots that were going as far as what normally felt like a full swing and they were going much higher and landing softer. I noticed in @Hardspoon's swing thread that the picture of his impact using a punch swing was much better than his full swing and that got me thinking that is probably what is happening to me as well. Sounds like I need to get the the range to get some video of my swing while feeling like I'm hitting a punch or knockdown shot.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

2 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Towards the end of the round the wind had died down quite a bit to more of a light breeze, however during the process of working on trying to hit knockdown and punch shots I noticed I was actually hitting super solid shots that were going as far as what normally felt like a full swing and they were going much higher and landing softer. I noticed in @Hardspoon's swing thread that the picture of his impact using a punch swing was much better than his full swing and that got me thinking that is probably what is happening to me as well. Sounds like I need to get the the range to get some video of my swing while feeling like I'm hitting a punch or knockdown shot.

Hey, Jeremie...glad my struggles might at least help someone else! I definitely noticed more solid contact with the "punch" swings. It's honestly very similar to the preset-hips drill...that "held-off" finish really promotes a downward strike.

I'm looking forward to seeing your videos...it's a good feeling to make such crisp contact. I even mixed those swings in on the course when I started struggling...it only "cost" me about a club-and-a-half of distance, and seemed to help settle me down.

- John