IGNORED

My Swing (Jeremie Boop)

Jeremie Boop

• Administrator

I was just curious, I'm working on recording myself doing slow motion swings and trying to make sure I'm hitting the correct positions. How high should my hands be at the top of the backswing ideally? I feel like I'm kind of flat right now but I don't want to change it if I'm not.

How high are they now?

Post a video.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've really focused on trying to keep my club from coming inside too quickly on the backswing but after watching the Open it looks seems like my arms aren't as high as theirs are. Not as upright? I guess the correct term is?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

How high are they now?

Post a video.

Was this video no good? I can try to get another one, unfortunately I won't be able to go to the range anytime soon to get video while hitting balls, but I'm not really concerned about the hitting balls part as I'm doing slow motion swings without a ball right now to try and ingrain the correct positions.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Here's the thing… I don't think you swing like that with a golf ball.

If you do, they're high enough, but your right elbow is likely too far behind you, your left arm too deep, and I doubt you tuck the right elbow down and forward like you do in that video.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Here's the thing… I don't think you swing like that with a golf ball.

If you do, they're high enough, but your right elbow is likely too far behind you, your left arm too deep, and I doubt you tuck the right elbow down and forward like you do in that video.

Ok, I'll see about trying to get a video with hitting a ball then. I'm not too sure what you mean about my left arm being too deep or my elbow being too far behind me. I assume that the comment about my right elbow is indicating that where I am in the video a good position?

Regardless I take it that any video where I'm not actually hitting a ball pointless.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Ok, I'll see about trying to get a video with hitting a ball then. I'm not too sure what you mean about my left arm being too deep or my elbow being too far behind me. I assume that the comment about my right elbow is indicating that where I am in the video a good position?

I'd elaborate but they may not be issues with your actual swing.

I've really focused on trying to keep my club from coming inside too quickly on the backswing but after watching the Open it looks seems like my arms aren't as high as theirs are. Not as upright? I guess the correct term is?

I wouldn't worry about the height of the hands,

Matt Kuchar doesn't have very high hands and he seems to play some pretty good golf ;-)

I would take some videos of you actually taking a shot. Don't worry about any swing thoughts, just hit a few balls to see were your current swing is at. Then you'll get some advice, and start working on what you need to improve on.

Here's a quick thing I learned, just because you happen to see a pro do something doesn't mean its right for you. You can get easily lost in trying to copy all the little details the pro's do, when there are 5 things that the pro's do really well.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I wouldn't worry about the height of the hands,

Matt Kuchar doesn't have very high hands and he seems to play some pretty good golf

I would take some videos of you actually taking a shot. Don't worry about any swing thoughts, just hit a few balls to see were your current swing is at. Then you'll get some advice, and start working on what you need to improve on.

Here's a quick thing I learned, just because you happen to see a pro do something doesn't mean its right for you. You can get easily lost in trying to copy all the little details the pro's do, when there are 5 things that the pro's do really well.

I understand. I'll try to get out tonight and hit a small bucket at the range just to get warmed up and record some recent swings. The last range session wasn't too bad, hit a lot of really quality shots and I think a majority of the bad shots were due to an overly quick transition at the top causing me to get too much arm in the swing. I was able to open the face on my hybrid and hit some very nice consistent push draws that hit about mid way up the backstop hill on the range that is about 220 yards out and about 8-10 feet in the air. I figured that would be around 230-240 carry? I hit probably 10 shots like that in a decently tight group.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Ok, new videos. DTL and Face on.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

So, the over-swing means your arms have to travel a lot farther than necessary, and they don't get where they need to get in time. They have to travel 10 miles, when they only have time to travel 8. So stop them at 8… and then work on getting them down faster.

Ball position is back, hands going too far, hips stall and arms finally come down.

Hit some of those shots. The focus for you isn't so much keeping the hips forward, but rather in getting the hands down more quickly. Your backswing will be limited because your hips have to stay forward, and then the downswing will feel like it's almost 100% arms, pulling down.

If someone held their hand near your left thigh, your goal is to smack it with the back of your left hand very, very quickly and very hard on the downswing.

When you play golf, you should feel like you're making half a backswing, and pulling your arms down across your chest and out toward the golf ball (or to a spot in front of the golf ball) very quickly.

P.S. Move your ball forward. That's way too far back, and you're only going to keep training yourself to flip with it back there.

P.S. Film a video of your grip, showing both your right hand and left hand from a bunch of angles. Something appears weird there but you can't see it well enough in that video.

Thanks, funny enough I always feel like the ball is forward. At least this is a drill I can do at home with wiffle or foam balls. Side note, that's already a shorter backswing than I started with this year ha!

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator

Side note, that's already a shorter backswing than I started with this year ha!

HALF backswing feel. Still gonna be too long… :)

HALF backswing feel. Still gonna be too long… :)

Gotcha. Also, here is a quickie video of my left, right, and both hands grip wise. Was kind of tough trying to figure out a way to record this. If it's not good let me know a better way to do it and I'll try again tomorrow.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

I'm curious, I was thinking about how my body stalls out and my arms have to catch up. Does that mean I'm losing distance?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

• Administrator
I'm curious, I was thinking about how my body stalls out and my arms have to catch up. Does that mean I'm losing distance?

Almost guaranteed. Contact is an issue, which also costs distance.

I did a video once on "getting your hands down faster." I guess it was never a 5SK video.

I did a video once on "getting your hands down faster." I guess it was never a 5SK video.

Holy crap, if I fix this issue and I get more distance I'll have to get different irons... I really don't want to be hitting 9 iron 170.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Quote:

Originally Posted by iacas

Holy crap, if I fix this issue and I get more distance I'll have to get different irons... I really don't want to be hitting 9 iron 170.

Why wouldn't you want to be hitting your 9 iron 170 yards if you don't mind me asking?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

Why wouldn't you want to be hitting your 9 iron 170 yards if you don't mind me asking?

Gives too much of a gap at the short end. The irons I have are very strong loft wise, I'd have to carry 5 wedges to cover the shorter distances. I could be wrong about not wanting to hit my 9 iron that long though, just seems a bit much?

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag: