IGNORED

Courtesy on the course

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that slow play is the bane of most golfers lives. However, I believe that Golfers could make life much easier for themselves by applying common sense and behaving in a generally friendly and patient fashion.

Tee times are spaced at appropriate intervals for a reason, i.e. to ensure that each group has adequate time to play each hole without feeling rushed. One of my pet hates is when a group tees off early, i.e. rather than waiting until their allotted tee time they immediately tee off when they arrive at the tee and spend the next 17 holes breathing down your neck chasing you round the course. I find this totally discourteous and it spoils the entire experience for me.

My point is this; good manners don't just apply to slow playing groups they also apply to ill mannered, impatient oafs that don't stick to their allotted tee times!!!

To the OP, that is clearly the responsibility of the starter. However, if ones does start early they should use the "extra" time to get loose on the first hole. Maybe play an extra ball or something to use up their allotted good fortune. If they were breathing down my neck I would call the pro shop from my mobile phone (I have done this on more than one occassion) or go back and ask them nicely to back off and stop huffing over their 4th shot lying in the fairway 100 yds out. Jerks. See, you're getting me hacked off and I wasn't even there!

And, yes, by no means should anybody mark their score card on the putting surface...I can't believe folks still actually do it, but I see it all the time...

Just for the hell of it - I tried all of those tactics that people complain about that results in slow play - three or four guys all watching one person hit their ball at a time, not playing ready golf. Marking the card on the green, taking three, four practice swings...

We still got around in 4 hours. As a foursome. So, what gives? What's causing the 6 hour rounds?

Note: This thread is 5033 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!