IGNORED

Chipping Technique - 10- 15 yards.

mikewb
Note: This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Guys, It's been a while. I'm a fair golfer of 4 Hcp and recently hit a bit of a phase where i 'putt from the rough' - no metaphor. I had a short game lesson with a high end instructor who taught me to chip using bounce. Quickly in summary; Weight 70% front foot, Square Alignment, feet 4-5 inches apart, Ball inside left heel, Club face 1 degree open to utilise bounce, Hands no more than 5degree forward shaft lean, Stand more upright, Swing reasonably Square to square like a putter motion. It also enables with small changes to hit; Flop Shot: wider stance, low hands, same ball position. Low Run Shots: More upright hands ball centre of stance. As confirmation we were clipping balls off the green on 15-20 yard shots not even marking the turf... problem is; I hit occasional blade ball, I don't chip in as often, Distance Control. All replies appreciated. Please include detail and storys of sucess / failure. What technique do you use and how does the upper body relate in the swing?

Originally Posted by mikewb

Guys, It's been a while. I'm a fair golfer of 4 Hcp and recently hit a bit of a phase where i 'putt from the rough' - no metaphor. I had a short game lesson with a high end instructor who taught me to chip using bounce. Quickly in summary; Weight 70% front foot, Square Alignment, feet 4-5 inches apart, Ball inside left heel, Club face 1 degree open to utilise bounce, Hands no more than 5degree forward shaft lean, Stand more upright, Swing reasonably Square to square like a putter motion. It also enables with small changes to hit; Flop Shot: wider stance, low hands, same ball position. Low Run Shots: More upright hands ball centre of stance. As confirmation we were clipping balls off the green on 15-20 yard shots not even marking the turf... problem is; I hit occasional blade ball, I don't chip in as often, Distance Control. All replies appreciated. Please include detail and storys of sucess / failure. What technique do you use and how does the upper body relate in the swing?

This sounds like way too much to think about. In all honesty, I keep my feet close together, in a comfortable way, which I assume is about 6". Then, I open my stance so that my feet are nearly 45° in relation to a square stance and the target. I place the ball further back off of my right foot's middle toes as well, which decreases the risk of blading the ball for me. Hands are slightly forward and I'm using more of a "hinge and hold" technique, which again (for me) prevents risk of blading it and gives me a consistent and predictable carry/roll out. I choke down on my wedge half way for comfort to allow me to get more knee bend as well.

Originally Posted by Spyder

This sounds like way too much to think about. In all honesty, I keep my feet close together, in a comfortable way, which I assume is about 6". Then, I open my stance so that my feet are nearly 45° in relation to a square stance and the target. I place the ball further back off of my right foot's middle toes as well, which decreases the risk of blading the ball for me. Hands are slightly forward and I'm using more of a "hinge and hold" technique, which again (for me) prevents risk of blading it and gives me a consistent and predictable carry/roll out. I choke down on my wedge half way for comfort to allow me to get more knee bend as well.

That's also pretty much what I do and from close in works well (for me). However, the further out I am, I recently started using the method the OP describes and found out after a bit of practice produces excellent results. I had reservations at first after viewing a video because I had a different perspective in what the video was trying to put across. A few from this forum helped me to understand it better and enabled me to put it into practice. I think that once you determine what each club will do in a given situation using its given loft and bounce, it will be easier to control without worry about a mishit. Also one doesn't have to be overly concerned about ball placement and shaft angle as its usually more or less centered (with exceptions of course depending on what you need to accomplish). Hinge and Hold is still my standard, but the "soft hands and using the bounce" is becoming comfortable as well.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Hacker James

That's also pretty much what I do and from close in works well (for me). However, the further out I am, I recently started using the method the OP describes and found out after a bit of practice produces excellent results. I had reservations at first after viewing a video because I had a different perspective in what the video was trying to put across. A few from this forum helped me to understand it better and enabled me to put it into practice. I think that once you determine what each club will do in a given situation using its given loft and bounce, it will be easier to control without worry about a mishit. Also one doesn't have to be overly concerned about ball placement and shaft angle as its usually more or less centered (with exceptions of course depending on what you need to accomplish). Hinge and Hold is still my standard, but the "soft hands and using the bounce" is becoming comfortable as well.

Soft hands never feels comfortable to me. I do have a buddy who uses what you and the OP describe as well with great success, though the kid has been golfing for 23 years (since he was 5) and has maintained his scratch HC since we were teens.

I simply bought Phil's Secrets of the Short Game DVD and in the words of Mark Crossfield, got "stuck in"... I can't complain though because it works for me. I am one that refuses to change to a PW, 9i, 8i, etc. with different lies/distance though. I'll typically try to force my 54° or 58° to do the job. That stubbornness is usually what costs me a few strokes per round. Call me a rock head..

10-15 yards, I choke down on a SW, open stance, ball a little forward of center, weight forward with a little lean forward, I bring the club back to about parallel to the ground (about a quarter swing), and then snap down briskly on the ball.  It produces a low spinning shot that takes one short hop and stops.

The most difficult distance in golf is the six inches between your ears.

Quote:

Pretty much me too, except that I usually use a PW or GW so bounce isn't an issue.  I learned to chip 40 years ago before I even owned a sand wedge.  Using a 7I was the standard chipping technique then, and as greens became faster, I moved to the PW and GW.  I don't use a SW for the same reason as the OP stated... it's much easier to skull the ball across the green, both because it's easier to mishit a higher lofted club, and you are typically swinging harder for the same distance.

• Upvote 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Soft hands never feels comfortable to me. I do have a buddy who uses what you and the OP describe as well with great success, though the kid has been golfing for 23 years (since he was 5) and has maintained his scratch HC since we were teens.

I simply bought Phil's Secrets of the Short Game DVD and in the words of Mark Crossfield, got "stuck in"... I can't complain though because it works for me. I am one that refuses to change to a PW, 9i, 8i, etc. with different lies/distance though. I'll typically try to force my 54° or 58° to do the job. That stubbornness is usually what costs me a few strokes per round. Call me a rock head..

Can't disagree with you there. I have always been most comfortable with Lefty's "Hinge and Hold" and had been using it exclusively until recently when I experimented with the "soft hands" tip and was pleasantly surprised that I was able to adopt to it rather quickly even though I had reservations. Contrary to recent discussion, I have no problem accepting modern day instruction, I just don't accept everything told me as the "end all" approach. I listen, I try, and if it works (for me) I use it.  At the same time, I retain lessons learned from the past that I know "will" work (for me).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I find that I blade when one of two things occurs: (1) I get too handsy; or (2) I get scared and decelerate mid-swing (its not the speed but sort of the pulling out that results in the blade).  Going to a short game area and hitting chips focusing on the "float loading" as described in Erik's quickie pitching video usually fixes it for me.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

It was an acquired taste for me.  I'm very handsy but consistent.  Regarding specifically 10-15 yds depends on the situation.  If it is clearly too rough to put through but there is nothing I have to clear, it is a choked up 8i all day.  Bump it and run it to the hole.

If I have something to clear then I just choose between a 56/14 and a 60/04 depending on the lie.  If the ball is relatively flat I'll use a standard 56 with the ball at my front foot and a smooth swing.  If it is on a decline or incline I pull the 60 open the face and let the magic happen

Cheers, many replies of varying technique. The idea of a front foot ball is the bounce becomes and escape tool. If the bounce hits the ground an inch behind the ball a reasonable shot is still performed (try it), but a agree with hinge and hold also and when this was my prefered technique i holed more shots than i did with a putter. I'm not sure about hitting down on the ball briskly, cleanly yes but nothing rushed. I also relate to thinning can occur from deceleration or wristy shots. I think wristy shots are the one that occurs with me where i 'hinge and cringe' but to counter the slight release i used a body turn towards the target which ultimatley removed the rigid platform at address.

Cheers, many replies of varying technique. The idea of a front foot ball is the bounce becomes and escape tool. If the bounce hits the ground an inch behind the ball a reasonable shot is still performed (try it), but a agree with hinge and hold also and when this was my prefered technique i holed more shots than i did with a putter. I'm not sure about hitting down on the ball briskly, cleanly yes but nothing rushed. I also relate to thinning can occur from deceleration or wristy shots. I think wristy shots are the one that occurs with me where i 'hinge and cringe' but to counter the slight release i used a body turn towards the target which ultimatley removed the rigid platform at address.

This is obviously a beginner intro lesson that Dave Pelz is giving here, but the concept of the ball back in the stance actually does make sense and promotes a more fail proof method of chipping. Nothing is absolutely fail proof in golf, but there are some adjustments that we can all make in our games to promote a lower risk of failure.

This is obviously a beginner intro lesson that Dave Pelz is giving here, but the concept of the ball back in the stance actually does make sense and promotes a more fail proof method of chipping. Nothing is absolutely fail proof in golf, but there are some adjustments that we can all make in our games to promote a lower risk of failure.

Thanks for sharing Spyder. Interesting to see different methods and I like how Dave explains it so simply in this video. Do you know what club he is using to chip with this method? It looks like maybe a PW?

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Originally Posted by butt3r3dt0ast

Thanks for sharing Spyder. Interesting to see different methods and I like how Dave explains it so simply in this video. Do you know what club he is using to chip with this method? It looks like maybe a PW?

I believe it was a 47°.

Soft hands never feels comfortable to me.

though this is mockable, I'll reply seriously...

I don't like a soft grip either, when pitching or chipping, I hold the club very firmly - in fact, more than all my other shots - at least, I do it deliberately.  The shot is gentle, but you need to control the grip.  I think people think, "soft shot" and then hold the club too lightly.  Then it's easier to twist and blade and skull, etc.  I've had such improvements in chipping by keeping a firm grip for these shots.

• Upvote 1

Bill - 

Originally Posted by rehmwa

though this is mockable, I'll reply seriously...

I don't like a soft grip either, when pitching or chipping, I hold the club very firmly - in fact, more than all my other shots - at least, I do it deliberately.  The shot is gentle, but you need to control the grip.  I think people think, "soft shot" and then hold the club too lightly.  Then it's easier to twist and blade and skull, etc.  I've had such improvements in chipping by keeping a firm grip for these shots.

LOL! You're a bastard...

I play pretty much every shot inside 50 yards with a slightly open stance and with the club slightly open.  All I do then is try to keep my swing relaxed and just trust my swing, I find being to technical around those distances tends to do more harm than good.

My biggest flaw and I chip from the 10yard range out also is when I let my left elbow bend (even ever so slightly) in the backswing.  The result is chunk, skull, shank...you name it.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I will set up similar to OP, but face will be more square, flare feet, have soft arms, and pivot, dropping club head on ball No hit in the swing

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3926 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!