• Announcements

• iacas

Visit FlagstickRule.com   03/13/2017

Visit the site flagstickrule.com to read about and sign a petition for the USGA/R&A regarding the one terrible rule in the proposed "modernized" rules for 2019.
JonMA1

My Swing (JonMA1)

JonMA1    351

It's been several months since I've recorded any swings. I was at the range today and took some FO with a 4 iron and DTL with my driver. I was really glad I did because bad habits are creeping back in. 

Irons -

Negatives: I'm getting hip sway I wasn't getting in May (last time I recorded). This is really hurting my swing, but I also think it can be fixed. It will probably always be one of those maintenance things I'll have to deal with. Because of the hip sway, I'm not getting a good shoulder turn and not getting as much weight forward. The weight shift is still better than it used to be, but still poor. Hardly any hip movement forward.

Positives: Key #3 looked good and is likely why I get decent contact on many of my shots.

Driver -

Negatives: Excessive head movement. Up and back (from DTL) on the backswing. A bit more stable from the top down.

Positives: Almost nothing worth mentioning. The camera alignment wasn't very good, but from what I could see my takeaway wasn't bad and neither was the shaft angle at the top down. 

Overall, the swing looked bad and reflects the inconsistencies I'm seeing on the course. I didn't realize I was still pausing so much... still really choppy. Driver swing is a train wreck and I'm not sure I can fix it. I suspect the excessive head movement is contributing to the two way misses. Experienced more of those on the range today. 

I'm not getting crazy about this improvement stuff any longer - at least that's my goal. I'll continue to work on the irons while trying to remain a bit more long-term oriented. Work on the driver will have to wait - other than when it gets used on the course.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JonMA1    351

Made a slight adjustment, took some more video tonight and the hip sway is gone. One less thing to worry about. 

The weight isn't staying back like it was last year, but I'm still not getting a lot of weight forward. My hips move the slightest bit forward and then I just rotate. My hands are probably more in front of the ball at impact than I remember them ever being, so I guess that's a good thing.

Still not happy with inconsistent contact, but I'm trying not to freak out about it. So far, so good.

The plan is for slow, incremental changes to my current iron swing while trying to enjoy the rest of the season. Honestly, in another 5 years I'll likely be typing the exact same things. ;-)

Not sure what to do with my driver and woods. I'll probably just use them sparingly when trying to score well, and using them more for the occasional practice round.

Jack Watson    86

I think you would benefit from reading either swinging into golf or swing the clubhead by Ernest Jones.

JonMA1    351
On 8/13/2017 at 1:14 PM, Jack Watson said:

I think you would benefit from reading either swinging into golf or swing the clubhead by Ernest Jones.

Thanks @Jack Watson. I know your intentions are legitimate and I appreciate that you want to help others. There are a lot of methods of improvement out there and while most work for some, few work for all.

I will almost always try what others suggest and maybe I'll pick up a copy of the books. But I have a different philosophy than Ernest Jones. I do believe that the correct movement of different parts of the body contribute a great deal to the correct movement of the club.

That's not to say that I'm trying to get a tour pro's swing out of this old body, but I'd like to get to at least a level of 2 out of 5 (on a scale of 0-5)  in accomplishing each of the 5 keys. I don't see how swinging the club head alone can possibly do that. Please understand that I can't afford to go down another rabbit hole right now.

I've told you in other threads that I've found some of Jim Flick's teachings to be beneficial, but  at a very basic level. His suggestion of "feeling the club head" helps me swing with what I think might be a better plane - especially with the longer clubs. 

What feeling the club head won't do is prevent me from sliding my hips away from the target, and moving my head left to right, then right to left, up and down, and forward to backwards - all in the same swing. It won't improve my jerky takeaway,  or wimpy shoulder turn, or  arms stopping at parallel to the ground, and then going too far behind me to compensate for the lack of a proper turn. Nor will it stop me from doing a number of things that frankly just make my swing look ridiculous.

So I'd rather develop a feel for what it's like to have a centered hip turn, for my feet, knees, hips, torso, shoulders and arms to bring my hands and club in a better position at the top, and then the feel of coming down properly from that position that allows for a better angle of attack, a better swing path and enough weight forward so that my hands can be in front of the ball with the correct wrist and hand movement to get better club head speed. I'd like to know what it feels like to do this in a fluid motion that I repeat exactly the same way every swing without thinking.

If I could develop these feels first, then sure, I'd love to develop the feel of pulling the club head through the ball instead of just whacking at it.

Will all this happen? Probably not. But I'd like to try, even if I take it takes forever.

I've spent 6 years polishing this turd of a swing I play golf with. Meaning, every spring I give up on developing some very fundamental mechanics and instead, fall back to thinking I can just make do with a swing that "comes natural" to me... AKA swinging the club head. It hasn't worked yet for me.

Jack Watson    86

@JonMA1

Yeah,  thanks for the response.  I am not advocating you change what you are doing.

Sometimes reading something simple like Jones can be enjoyable if you are a reader.  I support 5sk.  I think you are working with sound concepts.  I just know it was frustrating for me when I was changing and reading stuff like that kinda calms me or tends to reset my mind a bit on things so I tend to espouse it.    In no way was I trying to suggest you change approach.  It's just I know the game got to me too much a few years ago and my pro warned me about that.  

Also,  why not put up some video?  I was very leery of putting up video but it's been positive for me.   No one is going to put it on the evening news with the anchor saying " Worlds ugliest swing spotted on you tube"  In truth people don't care.  A pro once told me everyone thinks their swing is ugly.  

I promise not to offer advice to you on mechanics since it's clear you are working with good concepts.  I am just curious what it looks like.  Even a pitch or something.  

JonMA1    351
1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

@JonMA1

Yeah,  thanks for the response.  I am not advocating you change what you are doing.

Sometimes reading something simple like Jones can be enjoyable if you are a reader.  I support 5sk.  I think you are working with sound concepts.  I just know it was frustrating for me when I was changing and reading stuff like that kinda calms me or tends to reset my mind a bit on things so I tend to espouse it.    In no way was I trying to suggest you change approach.  It's just I know the game got to me too much a few years ago and my pro warned me about that.  

Also,  why not put up some video?  I was very leery of putting up video but it's been positive for me.   No one is going to put it on the evening news with the anchor saying " Worlds ugliest swing spotted on you tube"  In truth people don't care.  A pro once told me everyone thinks their swing is ugly.  

I promise not to offer advice to you on mechanics since it's clear you are working with good concepts.  I am just curious what it looks like.  Even a pitch or something.  

I do like to read for those reasons as well. In addition to LSW, I have Hogan's Five Lessons and I've read most of Bob Rotella's Golf is Not a Game of Perfect. I used to enjoy some of the Jack Nicklaus' articles where he would look back at what he used to think about the swing and compare those to what he currently thinks. I'm currently trying to get through Arnie. I think his life is a fascinating story but the book is not an easy read. 

As for the videos, I tend to clean out my YouTube channel from time to time for no particular reason other than a little OCD. It's not entirely due to embarrassment (if that were the case I'd never post my scores or handicap). What I didn't realize is that when I clean out those videos, it deletes them from this site as well.

There's a link in my signature below (MySwing) where I have some videos from early in the year and a couple from this week. All I ask is to please not link or embed them into this thread.

Anyway, I always welcome advice and thoughts. I may not always act upon advice but I try to at least give it careful consideration. 

Nothing is very clear right now except that I cannot shoot low scores and cannot make my body do what I want it to. But damn, golf is so enjoyable when I have that full swing dialed in.

JonMA1    351

Successful Feels

Full swing with irons: 

• Keep the arc wide, straight arms.
  • Early/extreme wrist hinge and high hands.
  • Right elbow in towards left elbow at top.
  • On the downswing, maintain the hinge, think low and forward with the hands - past the ball before impact.

Putting:

• Slow back. Slower, more controlled forward.
  • "Followthrough" with putter head towards or along target line after rolling the ball.

Edited by JonMA1