IGNORED

where to look for cracks on driver?

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As a beginner I am using some cheap hand me down ram gold clubs. I've been looking at maybe buying a used driver and people have told me to make sure it isn't cracked. I was cleaning up my clubs today and noticed the finish on the top of the driver is popping off right behind the face.? Is this bad andpossibly a sign of a crack?

• Administrator
Originally Posted by blaylock6502

As a beginner I am using some cheap hand me down ram gold clubs. I've been looking at maybe buying a used driver and people have told me to make sure it isn't cracked. I was cleaning up my clubs today and noticed the finish on the top of the driver is popping off right behind the face.? Is this bad andpossibly a sign of a crack?

If it's the finish only? No. If it's the metal itself, yes.

Post a few pictures to help us.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I meant to take a pic this morning but forgot I will do that this evening! I had a friend at work offer to sell me a used burner for 50 bucks. Minus what I would think is some normal scuffing on the bottom it looks to be in really good shape. Does anyone know how old this model is and if it would be worth the money?

• Administrator

Those don't look like cracks. It just looks like a clearcoat finish is flaking off or something.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There is some clearcoat or sticker or something coming off on the top but the spot I'm concerned with is just above where face meets the top and there are lines running parallel with the top of the face. Again not a very good pic. Sorry

Looks like the clear coat to me. I guess one way to find out is, tap a ball ontop of it lightly, a crack should change the harmonics of the sound. Maybe going from a high pitch to lower pitch.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 3950 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!