IGNORED

How important is warming up before a round?

Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was thinking about it the other day...

I never hit the range before a round, most of the time because there isn't a range where I play most frequently. And I typically score low to mid 50's on the front nine, and low to mid 40's on the back nine. Wondering if I warmed up maybe it would help smooth out that front 9. I always putt and chip beforehand, but never actually strike any balls.

So what's the consensus? Do you guys warm up every round, sometimes, never? Do you notice a big difference?

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

I was thinking about it the other day...

I never hit the range before a round, most of the time because there isn't a range where I play most frequently. And I typically score low to mid 50's on the front nine, and low to mid 40's on the back nine. Wondering if I warmed up maybe it would help smooth out that front 9. I always putt and chip beforehand, but never actually strike any balls.

So what's the consensus? Do you guys warm up every round, sometimes, never? Do you notice a big difference?

I always warm up. Not only to get the muscles loose, but to get the swing tuned back in. I have a pretty standard warm-up routine.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

I always warm up. Not only to get the muscles loose, but to get the swing tuned back in. I have a pretty standard warm-up routine.

Me too.  I'm 54 and the joints and muscles need to be lubed up a little bit.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I always try to warm up before a round. Loosens up the swing and also you can find out what your tendencies are at the range.

Try it out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, I wouldn't sweat it because there's a lot of people on the forum that hate warming up, let alone going to the range.

Best Regards,
Ryan

In the :ogio: bag:
:nike: VR-S Covert Tour Driver 10.5 :nike: VR-S Covert Tour 3W :titleist: 712U 21*
:nike: VR Pro Blades 4-PW :vokey: Vokeys 52*, 56* & 60* :scotty_cameron: Studio Select Newport 2
:leupold:
:true_linkswear: 

Totally agree with the part about warming up to get the swing tuned back in.

Another thing, for me in warm up, no more than 25 balls. Hit a few balls with the wedge, a few with short irons, a few with long irons, and a few with the driver. Hit every practice ball conscientously as if you were already on the fairway.

Originally Posted by arturo28mx

Another thing, for me in warm up, no more than 25 balls. Hit a few balls with the wedge, a few with short irons, a few with long irons, and a few with the driver. Hit every practice ball conscientously as if you were already on the fairway.

I think that's the best way; start with shorter clubs and work your way up. My last few balls I'll hit whatever club I'll tee off with on the first hole, and never leave until I've hit one just like I need to on the first. That way the positive thought is in my mind as I tee it up to start the round.

I have a similar routine for putting. I always start with one footers. My playing partners think it's a little strange, but there's something about watching the first putt go in the hole that makes the outlook much more positive. Then I work my way up to 4 footers, 8 footers, 15 footers, then a couple of lags.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by David in FL

Same here.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Very. Even if it's just hitting 15 golf balls. See what you're doing that day, find a rhythm, and then go play.

The importance decreases if your course starts off with relatively easy holes.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by David in FL

I'm 62, and have an arthritic right hip. I lead off with a dynamic stretching routine (purposeful motion simulating parts of golf swing), followed by chipping, putting and some full shots. I especially want to see what the longer clubs are doing that day.

If I do my stretching and hit some balls, and my hip still feels tight, I know to use an extra club on my approach shots, because I won't be moving through the ball very crisply.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Originally Posted by iacas

Very. Even if it's just hitting 15 golf balls. See what you're doing that day, find a rhythm, and then go play.

The importance decreases if your course starts off with relatively easy holes.

Agree 100%, i can't count the times i've went +3 or +4 in the first two holes, only to end up going even the next 7 - 8 holes because i finally found some sort of swing.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I use the warm up to make sure I have the smooth tempo.  Also get the juices flowing.

I always try to get to a course early now to hit a small bucket or share with my son.

Start off with short irons, hit a few with the wood, driver, then go back to the club I will use off the first tee.

Getting to old to get out of the car walk up to the tee and expect to hit a decent shot.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

Originally Posted by hacker101

I always try to get to a course early now to hit a small bucket or share with my son.

Start off with short irons, hit a few with the wood, driver, then go back to the club I will use off the first tee.

Getting to old to get out of the car walk up to the tee and expect to hit a decent shot.

The place I'm going on the 4th has a range. I'm gonna show up early and whack a small bucket. Not just mindessly, but plan out shots and try to hit them.

Ryan M

I used to always go out an hour before my round.  My typical 4some would always comment about it since they tend to show up right before the round.  I'm very competitive so I always wanted to perform my best and felt I could only do that by getting loose and making sure I've got the kinks worked out.  Then lately, I showed up to the course with a 3 hour deadline(pushed it to 3hr 15min) and played one of my better rounds without a swing, chip or putt to go off of.  Back 9 was still a tad better than the front 9, but I feel that's more because of the fact the front 9 is much tougher than the back 9 at my typical course.  Tried it out at another course without a range the next week and shot even par.  I still like to go out and roll a few on the green and take a swing or 2 with the driver/PW/7iron.  So I'm gonna continue this method for awhile and see how it works out for me. Just a few putts and a few swings, no more hour long warm-up!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

The place I'm going on the 4th has a range. I'm gonna show up early and whack a small bucket. Not just mindessly, but plan out shots and try to hit them.

That is great, hope you see a differance.

Mike M.

Irons G30's 4-U.

Hybrid's Callaway X2Hot 3 and 4.

Vokey Wedges SM5 Tour Chrome, 54*, 58*.

Putter Greyhawk, G25 4 wood, G25 Driver.

I warm up at the range whenever there is time.  I would prefer to do it before every round, but oftentimes I'm sneaking out of work after lunch or waking up super early for the first time of the day, and in those cases, it's just not feasible.  At the very least, I putt a little bit and take a lot of loosening up practice swings.  Also have to give the advil a couple of minutes to start working. :)

That said, I'm pretty sure if you separated out my rounds into two separate categories and gave me two handicaps, one for rounds where I hit the range, and the other where I didn't ... I don't think that those two numbers would be noticeably different.

I set up a little practice area in my garage now too...I can't see what the ball is doing, but I can at least get warm and whack 20 balls or so before I head out.

Ryan M

I find it helps to warm up.  Gotta at least hit a few putts to see how the greens seem to be running.  Not even necessarily to sink them (although that's satisfying), just to see how to avoid hitting it short.

Note: This thread is 3937 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!