IGNORED

help me find a reasonably priced driver

Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I posted a thread on how I think my ram driver a friend gave me is cracked. I hit a few balls tonight and it definitely is. I have only played a few ttimes but am extremely addicted. I hate to sink a lot of money in a driver not knowing if I'll stick with it or how much I'll be able to play having three kids! So my question is should I buy a big name driver that's a few years old and used or buy a cheaper new one? If a cheaper new one does anyone have any recommendations? At this point I plan to upgrade next year just looking to get through the summer! Thanks!

I just got my driver the Callaway FT-iz recently and it's a great driver.  It's fairly new came out in 2010 and you can find it on ebay used anywhere from 40-100.  If you want to shop the market just for some newer drivers try using Google to look up what came out around 2010-2012 you'll be surprised how much they're going for.

Take a look at...

• Callaway Razr Fit drivers from last year. Some are still available at trimmed prices. You can swap out shafts, so make sure loft and shaft match what you need. If you want to trim the shaft a little, you can recover some swingweight if you can find the weight screw sets.
  • TM Burners (pre-RBZ). My brother bought one, and regularly carries the ball 260+  (he's my younger bro, so it's embarrassing...) Only caution... make sure shaft isn't too "high launch" if you have 95+ clubhead speed (Stiff flex may be way to go if you're on the line )
  • Cleveland Ultralite Series Drivers : Three varieties... 270 gr. XL,  290 gr. SL, and 310 gr. TL. Many come with Miyazaki C. Kua shafts
  • Wilson Staff DXI. Forerunner of this year's hot WS D100 , this 270 gr. driver offers a light-touch power for smooth swingers.

Let us know how things shake out. Others will be interested in what you find.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow now I'm very lost! I have no idea what I want or need! I guess my main thing would be something that is friendy to beginners. I have heard you can demo stuff at dick's sporting goods and they will analyze your swing.? Will this help me figure out what I want/need? And I'm sure my swing is flawed so as my swing changes will I need a different driver? Thanks again

I am a healthy 29 year old so I'm guessing I would want a stiff flex.? Should I look for regular flex? Stiff? Extra stiff? Also what about loft? Should I try to stay around 10.5?

I am a healthy 29 year old so I'm guessing I would want a stiff flex.? Should I look for regular flex? Stiff? Extra stiff? Also what about loft? Should I try to stay around 10.5?

Try to get to a launch monitor... I began with a stiff shafted 9.5 thinking the same way.. Im 29 and pretty strong its going to do the trick....not so much. Trackman revealed that my swing speed was only 77mph and my driver spin was in the 1500's... I was fitted with a regular flex and a 12*... spin is in the mid 2000's now, with better carry and better overall distance... Save the money and frustration... get fit

Did you pick up swing speed with time and experience? And if so Did that call for a different t driver? My approach at this point is slow and easy working on proper mechanics and worry about power later.? Is this the proper way to approach it?

Originally Posted by blaylock6502

Did you pick up swing speed with time and experience? And if so Did that call for a different t driver? My approach at this point is slow and easy working on proper mechanics and worry about power later.? Is this the proper way to approach it?

Honestly unless your getting older and loosing swing speed, i would suggest going with a stiff flex. For one, the stiff flex would most likely be less stiff with a OEM shaft. They are proprietary shafts, and usually taylored towards amateurs, so they would be less stiff. Especially taylormade driver shafts. They tend to be light weight, which makes them less stiff. So i always would error on the side of getting a stiff shaft. honestly i don't think it matters that much for a beginner.

As for type of drivers. Check out online retailers, like Global Golf. You can buy 4-5 year old drivers, that are in good condition, for cheap. Honestly any driver in the last 4-5 years are pretty much all similar. Unless your looking for adjustability in your driver, i would just pick one that looks good to you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I have looked at global golf and found some very reasonable stuff just didn't know what I was looking at to be honest. As I said just trying to find something decent to get me far enough to develop an opinion about what I like/dislike and what I think I need because at this point it's a shot in the dark! As far as online stores that sell used drivers are most of them fairly accurate with their description of the condition? Are there any online stores you have had trouble with that you would recommend I steer clear of?

I am constantly working on my swing and my tempo. The speed has risen marginally, so the driver I was fitted with is still the perfect fit for my game...cant go wrong by visiting your local clubfitter... then just find one speced similar in your price range

Your initial statement was correct, you don't need to sink a bunch of money in a driver. Your best investment right now would be good fairway wood with about 15-16* loft with about a 43 inch stiff graphite shaft. You will be in the fairway more often, and not that much shorter. A quality fairway wood with these specs can remain in your bag a long time without you outgrowing it as your abilities improve. You can find very good ones new for around 150 and less. You will go through 3 or 4 drivers before you need to replace this club. That said, you are young and strong and want to hit a driver (we've all been there). As Ratliff said, there are a lot of top line drivers from say 2008-2011 out there for not much money, especially the non-adjustable types, for $50-100 in good condition. Online is good, but not necessary where you are. They will also be available in the used section at some of the larger retailers. Also look for second hand golf and sports stores. Pawn shops are sometimes a source as well. I would suggest a Taylormade, Titleist, Callaway, or PING (no preference) with a 440-460cc head, in 10.5* with a stiff shaft. I am not promoting these brands or knocking others, but I feel these are the easiest to sell if you want to change. I think the stiff shaft is another selling feature, and if you like the head but the shaft is too much, you can change it out and keep the old shaft in case you decide to sell later There are some top name non-adjustable 2012 and 2013 models on sale at various places now under $200. This is good value in new equipment, but you will lose more in a couple of years. With any of the above choices, find a head that you like and Google the name of the club and reviews, i. e. " PING i20 driver reviews", you will find a ton of info, and don't forget to look for reviews on this site as most everything popular has been reviewed by someone here. I apologize in advance if this is all one paragraph, I have not been able to make that feature work correctly.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

It appears you are trying to increase your golfing.

How consistent is your swing? Do you slice one day, hook the next, or do you have a pretty consistent ball flight (not perfect, just consistent)?

Have you ever had lessons, or are you "self-taught"? If you're unsure of basic mechanics, you might take a lesson or two.

If you get an older driver - 2010 or before - make sure it's not too beat up. Drivers have the largest heads of the woods, and sometimes get internal damage if the previous owner hit the ball really hard. (I've seen people cave in the face of a driver)

Being that you're unsure of what driver you want, work through a golf shop and actually test-hit the drivers. The clubfitters can put you on a launch monitor, and then get data on the different drivers and how you hit them. Usually you come up with two drivers that are pretty close in numbers - then, you pick the one you like best, that you feel good about. It's hard to hit golf clubs you don't have confidence in.

At your experience level, you might want to avoid the adjustable drivers. Plenty of single-piece drivers that will get the job done.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

For $100 or less (sometimes much less)  you can go Ping G10 or Taylormade Burner. Here is a link to Ping G10 drivers on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?Shaft%2520Material=Graphite&Dexterity;=Right%252DHanded&Club;%2520Type=Driver&clk;_rvr_id=496690289466&_nkw=ping%20g10&_pppn=r1&_dcat=115280&Flex;=Stiff

Why do they call golf "golf"?  Because all the other four letter words were taken.

Yeah I had a coworkers husband offer me what I thought was a really nice burner 460 with heavier for 50 a couple of days past and I asked if I could take it to the range and try it out and the price magically jumped to 100! Thanks for the link oldblu! I had done sone research and the most recommended club for beginners was the g20. Is the g10 similar?

Don't ignore the older clubs.

They are cheap and if they don't fit you, you are not out a lot of money.

I purchased two drivers at a garage sale earlier this year.

1 is a Great Big Bertha like this one on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Calloway-Great-Big-Bertha-War-Bird-9-Firm-Flex-Titanium-Golf-Driver-43-Right-H-/130939254988?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item1e7c9678cc

And the other is a Mizuno T-Zoid like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mizuno-T-Zoid-Forged-Ti-1-9-Driver-Proforce-65-gold-R-flex-and-head-cover-/111109622782?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash;=item19dea64bfe

I regripped both and took them to the range.

Both hit consistantly well with my drives averaging 225 and a few approaching 240.

Not bad for a near senior citizen.

Don't fall for the hype on television, buy something reasonable to start with and go from there.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place this world is when one is playing golf.  ~Robert Lynd

Callaway Big Bertha 460cc Driver

Big Bertha 3 Wood

Callaway 1996 Big Bertha 3-SW

Sam Snead Blue Ridge Sand Wedge

Ram Zebra Putter

Ever since the COR has been set at 0.83 distance hasn't jumped with drivers. What has changed is, lower COG, larger MOI, and better golf shafts, meaning higher launch, more carry, more distance off mishits. So average distance increased and consistency. Your not going to see much difference in drivers over the last 5 years.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

ThanK's I'm gonna take a trip to the local fitter tomorrow and they say they have a large selection of used drivers so well see what happens! Thanks to everyone for the input! I grew up in the middle of nowhere hunting and fishing and assuming golfers were all snobs. That couldn't be further from the truth! The game is extremely fun and aside from a few exceptions all of the players have been extremely nice and helpful. I am a member of an archery and Jeep forum and you guys are the nicest and most helpful group of people I have found on any forum so Thanks again and sorry for all the years of assuming!

Note: This thread is 3919 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!