IGNORED

Do you tee up a brand new ball every round?

RickK
Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The "breakfast ball" thread made me think of this.  One of the clubs I play out of on the first hole of one of the courses has OB down the right side, water in front of the tee box and all the way down the left side.

As I have admitted here in the other thread, I rarely warm up for our casual Saturday rounds.  So, in those casual rounds, I don't tee up a new ball on this hole to start the round.  I generally switch to a new ball on 2nd hole.

In a tournament, starting on this hole, it would be a new ball.

So, if you play a course that has difficulty left or right or both side of 1st hole...do you tee up a new ball?

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

Originally Posted by RickK

The "breakfast ball" thread made me think of this.  One of the clubs I play out of on the first hole of one of the courses has OB down the right side, water in front of the tee box and all the way down the left side.

As I have admitted here in the other thread, I rarely warm up for our casual Saturday rounds.  So, in those casual rounds, I don't tee up a new ball on this hole to start the round.  I generally switch to a new ball on 2nd hole.

In a tournament, starting on this hole, it would be a new ball.

So, if you play a course that has difficulty left or right or both side of 1st hole...do you tee up a new ball?

I tee up whatever I pull out of the bag.  Anything in the ball pocket is in good enough shape to play, so it's irrelevant to me whether it's new or not.  A good ball lost is a good ball lost and it makes no difference how old it is.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I almost always grab a new one to start a round, and after that I just grab whatever's in the bag.  (Like fourputt, I make sure that the bag only has "good" balls in it)

I don't like the idea of intentionally using a junk ball on a scary hole because I feel like I'm encouraging myself to do exactly what I feared when I purposely grabbed the junk ball.  I subscribe to the Bob Rotella line of thinking.  If you purposely grab a junk ball, somewhere in your head is a thought that "I might hit it in the water here" and those type of thoughts are death.

Nope, even in tournaments I will used a scuffed up ball sometimes if I don't have a new one on hand.  It doesn't bother me, so long as they aren't ripped to shreds.

srixon.png.c29104d99ab6ca6ecb927e9dd97b26f1.png    Z785 Driver 10.5° Tour AD BB 7x    |    F65 4W Tour AD TP 7x    |    Z765 4-PW Dynamic Gold X100 AMT    |     Z-Star Ball

TM.png.36c3c24d72a4ac809b0def631452f3ba.png    M3 4H HZRDUS Black    |    Spider Tour Putter

titleist.png.c92d01bf6404c1675a5e518a7447f2c6.png  Vokey SM7 50° 55° 60° Dynamic Gold S400 Tour Issue Black

I have some Pro V1s in one pocket of my bag and some cheaper balls in another pocket. All of them are in respectable condition. Anything that's not gets thrown into my practice ball bucket.

If I'm just messing around I usually grab a cheap ball and if I really care about the round I grab a Pro V1. Not that it matters much (if at all). I haven't seen any real evidence that the ball I use relates to the score I'm going to shoot.

Seems like I get an extra yard or two with a Pro V1 in the summer and seems like I get an extra yard or two out of a SoLo in the winter, but no hard evidence that's accurate either.

That's not to say that I don't notice a difference in different brands, models, and age of golf balls because I do. Some go farther, some spin more, and some have a better feel off of my putter (or any club for that matter) but my scores show those things are not the determining factor in what score I'm going to shoot on any given day.

Outside of a few brands that feel like I just busted my driver face with a rock, that I won't EVER play, I'll play casual rounds with almost anything else.

Lots of times I'll be playing along with what I consider a crap ball and realize I have a Hell of a round going. Other times I go to the trouble of picking out a better ball and have a round FROM Hell.

When I had my best ever round I was playing with a "Cougar" that I had found in the bushes the day before.

Originally Posted by MS256

I have some Pro V1s in one pocket of my bag and some cheaper balls in another pocket. All of them are in respectable condition. Anything that's not gets thrown into my practice ball bucket.

If I'm just messing around I usually grab a cheap ball and if I really care about the round I grab a Pro V1. Not that it matters much (if at all). I haven't seen any real evidence that the ball I use relates to the score I'm going to shoot.

Seems like I get an extra yard or two with a Pro V1 in the summer and seems like I get an extra yard or two out of a SoLo in the winter, but no hard evidence that's accurate either.

That's not to say that I don't notice a difference in different brands, models, and age of golf balls because I do. Some go farther, some spin more, and some have a better feel off of my putter (or any club for that matter) but my scores show those things are not the determining factor in what score I'm going to shoot on any given day.

Outside of a few brands that feel like I just busted my driver face with a rock, that I won't EVER play, I'll play casual rounds with almost anything else.

Lots of times I'll be playing along with what I consider a crap ball and realize I have a Hell of a round going. Other times I go to the trouble of picking out a better ball and have a round FROM Hell.

When I had my best ever round I was playing with a "Cougar" that I had found in the bushes the day before.

How old was she? That's impressive that you still had the energy to play golf, let alone your best round ever.

• Upvote 1

I've never hit a used ball.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Originally Posted by SCfanatic35

How old was she? That's impressive that you still had the energy to play golf, let alone your best round ever.

I almost changed the name of the ball in my comment, but decided the cougar deserved the right to be mentioned.

If I find either of the other kinds of cougars in the bushes all bets are off!!!

• Upvote 1

I usually use the last ball from the previous round. Today that was a Nike Crush. I found a Pro V1x in the rough of the 3rd fairway, washed it up at the 4th tee...and hit the two of them until I was done.

Every round is a fresh start, a possible career round, and thus deserving of a brand new ball!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Last weekend I struggled, and I lost 6, count them, 6 brand new ProV1x in one round. LOL

Now I have a buy a brand new dozen before this weekends round.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

If you don't use a brand new ball at the beginning of a round when are you going to start using one?  If you are playing the round of your life with an old ball, then you are probably going to keep using it.  If you are playing the worst round of your life with the old ball, then you are more than likely going to use the old/junk balls in your bag.

Originally Posted by Motley01

Last weekend I struggled, and I lost 6, count them, 6 brand new ProV1x in one round. LOL

Now I have a buy a brand new dozen before this weekends round.

What costed more, your balls or your green fees?  I wouldn't suggest playing ProV1x if your 16.5 HCP is accurate with all due respect

When I buy a sleeve, I take a ball out and use it until I lose it or it becomes unplayable, whichever comes first-which usually means til I lose it. Often when I lose it-say hit in the water or whatever-I will just reach in and grab a ball to complete the hole, and start the next hole with the next new ball from the sleeve. If that ball is intact when I complete the round, it will be the ball I start with next time. I don't really lose a lot of balls on my home course--maybe 1 every 27 holes or so--unless I am having a bad streak.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Originally Posted by TJBam

What costed more, your balls or your green fees?  I wouldn't suggest playing ProV1x if your 16.5 HCP is accurate with all due respect

Why should he not be using a ProV1x? If it feels good for him and he doesn't mind paying the price, more power to him.

Note: This thread is 3921 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!