IGNORED

Golf in the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro

BostonBrew
Note: This thread is 3232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by billchao

I get what you are saying, but I'm talking about multiple formats. Stroke play, match play, foursomes, four ball, etc. They're different animals, with different strategies involved. As a track and field fan, I imagine you understand what I mean.

I'm pretty sure it's just going to be a 72 hole tournament, though I think it would be much more interesting if it were match play with brackets, like tennis.

Ok, in that case I agree so long as individuals qualify for each event (not imply qualifying for the olympics in "golf" and then participating in multiple medal opportunity events.) As an example, sprinters qualify for their event, and are then selected at the olympics amongst the pools of qualified sprinters for the relay teams. I believe the relays should be teams who compete and are selected as a team, not simply pooling your countries four biggest superstars at the event, giving them all multiple medal chances despite qualifying in only one event.

Originally Posted by BostonBrew

Yeah. I kind of wish they were using amateurs for the Olympics. But that's a losing fight. They want the best of the best and that means professionals need to be included. Especially when a lot of the best kids are turning pro before they're 20 (Jordan Spieth).

The 72-hole stroke format allows for some final day drama which is more entertaining for TV than match-play. Especially when a guy is getting his ass handed to him.

Professionals not participating in the Olympics is one of the reasons baseball was thrown out. If they didn't allow the pros to compete in golf, it would make for a very short comeback.

I don't think they arrange the Olympic format for TV drama. We're just going to have to agree to disagree, here. I personally find match play more interesting. I also think the bracketing would be easier to award medals for, as you'd have a definitive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finisher.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by billchao

I don't think they arrange the Olympic format for TV drama. We're just going to have to agree to disagree, here. I personally find match play more interesting. I also think the bracketing would be easier to award medals for, as you'd have a definitive 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finisher.

In the case of ties, they're planning on having a 3 hole playoff to determine the medalists. Which could be a lot of fun to watch.

Originally Posted by marmooskapaul

Golf.....olympics...no thanks.??? I agree if they must include it..amateurs should be included. The pros have enough international competition already..no big deal.

paul

This is how I feel about basketball being an olympic sport (with top NBA pros playing.) In my opinion it makes a bit of a mockery of the rest of the olympics. Trues, top athletes in all sports are professionals these days, but some major professional sports are not the same animal as other smaller professional sports.

Let it be an amateur's moment to shine.

An Olympic gold medal would be the 5th (at best) desired victory for a professional in an Olympic year.

Who gives a crap about tennis Olympic medals? Same thing.

But the idea is to "grow the game" - and contribute to Brazil's corruption and bankruptcy in staging the Olympics and the World Cup.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

• 10 months later...

Not looking good for Rio

http://www.globalgolfpost.com/blog/rios-2016-olympics-officially-life-support/

Quote:
Be honest, now. Did you ever really think Rio was going to pull off golf in the Olympics, much less the Olympics at all?
At the very least, a healthy bit of skepticism is now needed more than ever especially with The New York Times reporting how unhealthy conditions are in and around the Brazilian city that is scheduled to stage the Summer Olympics a short two years from now.
We all know that golf in the Olympics is a good thing for the growth of the game. And we have been disturbed by the recurring problems course architect Gil Hanse has faced getting a course ready for the Games in the summer of 2016.
But there are larger, more distressing issues.
Recently, reports leaked out that London has been asked to prepare itself to host the Games if Rio, already far behind schedule for multiple stadia and sites, has to cancel its venue plans altogether.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

I was just down in Brazil.  There are a lot more protests going on than we are hearing about up here.  Plain and simple, most down in Brazil don't think they can afford the World Cup and the Olympics.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 4 months later...

There's a Golf Digest editorial out that proposes some changes to the Olympic Golf format (It's a pretty lengthy article):

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-10/olympic-golf-shane-ryan

The truth is this: Golf has backed itself into a corner with a self-defeating format that will almost certainly result in a boring event that enjoys no status in the world of professional golf. All the hard work the IGF has put into the Olympic push will fizzle out. The sport is guaranteed to appear in both the 2016 and 2020 games, but the catch here is that the IOC will vote on whether golf will stick around in 2017... which means everything depends on 2016's first impression. There's a reason that Matt Every—as honest a player as you'll find on the PGA Tour—told me in Akron that golfers don't care about the Olympics. Why would they, when a victory there literally means less, due to the smaller, weaker field, than any other event in the calendar year?

They wouldn't, and they won't. Golf's re-appearance in the Olympics is a momentous event for the sport, and we need a format that won't lead to total disappointment. Which leads us to:

How to Save Olympic Golf

For me, the criteria for a successful international golf event are fairly simple.

1. Make sure the national element matters. Golf is an individual sport, so why should we care which country takes the gold?

2. Choose a format designed to heighten the drama, but not one so arbitrary that it fails to honor the best team.

3. Maintain an international field. This is, after all, the Olympics.

Easy to write, difficult to execute. Luckily, we have some incredibly successful models in golf, international sport and the Olympics themselves. By turning to history and heeding their examples, we can create a successful Olympic event that satisfies all three of the above criteria.

Interesting ideas. I would like to see a different format for the Olympics than just a 72 hold tournament.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

There's a Golf Digest editorial out that proposes some changes to the Olympic Golf format (It's a pretty lengthy article):

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/2014-10/olympic-golf-shane-ryan

Quote:

The truth is this: Golf has backed itself into a corner with a self-defeating format that will almost certainly result in a boring event that enjoys no status in the world of professional golf. All the hard work the IGF has put into the Olympic push will fizzle out. The sport is guaranteed to appear in both the 2016 and 2020 games, but the catch here is that the IOC will vote on whether golf will stick around in 2017... which means everything depends on 2016's first impression. There's a reason that Matt Every—as honest a player as you'll find on the PGA Tour—told me in Akron that golfers don't care about the Olympics. Why would they, when a victory there literally means less, due to the smaller, weaker field, than any other event in the calendar year?

They wouldn't, and they won't. Golf's re-appearance in the Olympics is a momentous event for the sport, and we need a format that won't lead to total disappointment. Which leads us to:

How to Save Olympic Golf

For me, the criteria for a successful international golf event are fairly simple.

1. Make sure the national element matters. Golf is an individual sport, so why should we care which country takes the gold?

2. Choose a format designed to heighten the drama, but not one so arbitrary that it fails to honor the best team.

3. Maintain an international field. This is, after all, the Olympics.

Easy to write, difficult to execute. Luckily, we have some incredibly successful models in golf, international sport and the Olympics themselves. By turning to history and heeding their examples, we can create a successful Olympic event that satisfies all three of the above criteria.

Interesting ideas. I would like to see a different format for the Olympics than just a 72 hold tournament.

I think Match Play would be a better format.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Quote:
Why would they, when a victory there literally means less, due to the smaller, weaker field, than any other event in the calendar year ?

I kind of agree with the idea that Olympic golf is just going to be kinda blah, but to be fair ... Is there a single sport in the Olympics in this day and age where the above ISN'T true?

The Olympics made sense many years ago when it likely pitted the best from different parts of the World against each other to see who was really the best ... but what sport nowadays isn't already completely global year round??

I think this is part of the reason why the Olympics in general are kind of boring, and with all of the debacles surrounding host cities and the politics it just seems like a big waste of time.  Especially the Winter Olympics.

• Administrator
I think Match Play would be a better format.

I disagree. Consider how easy it is to lose out on a match despite being the better player. The more holes you play, the higher the odds of finding the best player (that week or any week).

It may be boring, but it works.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I kind of agree with the idea that Olympic golf is just going to be kinda blah, but to be fair ... Is there a single sport in the Olympics in this day and age where the above ISN'T true?

The Olympics made sense many years ago when it likely pitted the best from different parts of the World against each other to see who was really the best ... but what sport nowadays isn't already completely global year round??

I think this is part of the reason why the Olympics in general are kind of boring, and with all of the debacles surrounding host cities and the politics it just seems like a big waste of time.  Especially the Winter Olympics.

Though the Winter Olympics have the better sports. Something about snow makes it all better, plus Curling :-D

Though the Olympics are in a tough spot. Not many countries are bidding on hosting anymore. It is just a big sink hole that sucks in money.

As for golf, you can do something like a back to back week tournament. Like the Fed-Ex tournament. Just keep limiting the field after each round, then have the final, lets say 12 golfers compete for gold.

I think stroke play is the best format. It is the truest test in golf, lowest score wins ;-)

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 7 months later...

Scott not interested in Olympic 'exhibition'

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/scott-not-interested-olympic-exhibition/

----

I feel that both golf and tennis have adequate events on the world stage and they don't really need to be involved in the Olympics  - I don't buy into professionals being there anyway (hockey,basketball, etc)

Scott not interested in Olympic 'exhibition'

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/scott-not-interested-olympic-exhibition/

----

I feel that both golf and tennis have adequate events on the world stage and they don't really need to be involved in the Olympics  - I don't buy into professionals being there anyway (hockey,basketball, etc)

Rick, consider that Olympic is a HUGE thing for most other countries.   Medalist become national heroes overnight.   Golf being in the Olympics and top pro golfers' participation will have a huge benefit for globalization of golf.    Personally, I don't believe golf deserves to be in the Olympics given that it is popular in relatively small number of countries.   But that probably deserves another thread of its own.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Lol Olympic golf. What's next...Olympic walking?

Already exists. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Note: This thread is 3232 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!