IGNORED

13th club for a long hitter

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've had 12 clubs for some time: D, 3w, 3h, 4-PW, UW, and 56 degree.  Recently I made some drastic changes in my swing and got some amazing results.  I was hitting my 56 degree 75y total before on a full swing and UW 110y on a full swing, and now I'm hitting them 120y/150y respectively.  That range makes the <100y shots a little bit awkward with my highest wedge, the 56 degree.

I'm leaning towards a 62 degree wedge, and just doing some backwards math that club would be about 80y on a full swing, which would complete a pretty good lower range for me on full shots.  The Vokey is only offered in 62-07, and I'm not sure if that bounce is too low for some full shots with a 62 wedge, though.

I'm just curious what others recommend, specifically guys that hit most of their wedges over 100y.  Before it was a lot easier to justify the 56 degree as my only wedge, but now I'm thinking another wedge would be a smarter play.  Thank you!

If you want a bit more bounce, you could always get a 60-10 and have it bent to 62. That would take the bounce up around 12.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd just get into doing some distance control work with my 56. choke down to an exact spot on the club(3 inches is good) or only make a backswing 3/4 of the way to the top, even rank amatuers can control distance effectively by choking down and only taking a half(50 yards), a quarter(30) or 3/4(100 yards) I would guess that you'll hit a 60* wedge about 90 yards now, but that 100-115 gap is rarely a full swing for anyone. I like to hit a 50% pitching wedge.

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly..... ;-)
  • Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I've had 12 clubs for some time: D, 3w, 3h, 4-PW, UW, and 56 degree.  Recently I made some drastic changes in my swing and got some amazing results.  I was hitting my 56 degree 75y total before on a full swing and UW 110y on a full swing, and now I'm hitting them 120y/150y respectively.  That range makes the <100y shots a little bit awkward with my highest wedge, the 56 degree.

I'm leaning towards a 62 degree wedge, and just doing some backwards math that club would be about 80y on a full swing, which would complete a pretty good lower range for me on full shots.  The Vokey is only offered in 62-07, and I'm not sure if that bounce is too low for some full shots with a 62 wedge, though.

I'm just curious what others recommend, specifically guys that hit most of their wedges over 100y.  Before it was a lot easier to justify the 56 degree as my only wedge, but now I'm thinking another wedge would be a smarter play.  Thank you!

I think the first thing you should probably do is get a putter! ;)

After that, I think it makes sense to go ahead and get a lob wedge.  Personally, I think 62 is bit a much - based on your sand wedge being 56, I'd probably go with 60 - but whatever you feel fills that last gap is your best bet.  My sand wedge is 54.5 and my lob is 59.  (Designed such that the gaps from 9 iron to the end are all 4.5 degrees.)

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly..... ;-)

Hitting my 4i 220 and drives 310, so I don't think I'm delofting anything, unless I'm delofting everything. Good suggestion about learning the 56 a bit better, I am pretty good controlling the distance with that club actually, but in a way I guess having a gap in distance and an extra spot in the bag is convincing I may as well get another wedge.

If you've got room for an extra club, then I think a lob wedge is the only way to go. I have a 60, but anything between 60-62 would probably suit you well.

Tyler Martin

I have some buddies who are long hitters that carry 50, 54 and 58. I always thought 58* was more practical than 60* for full swing shots because you don't sky it quite as much which helps control distance into the green.

Would be helpful to know what the lofts of all your clubs are before making a suggestion. I've used three different setups this year and my wedge selection was based less on how far I hit my driver than what I needed to fill specific gaps. My largest gaps are on the long side of the bag because those clubs get me to where the shorter clubs make a difference. After I bought my current iron set, with 44* PW, which I use like a 9i, I went to a 48/10-52/10-56/14-60/12 wedge set.

Dave :-)

Lob wedge is the way to go.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by David in FL

I suggest relearning how to stop delofting your wedges and how to hit them properly.....

Do you mean that you need to use less lag for wedges, while still maintaining it for all other clubs?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Do you mean that you need to use less lag for wedges, while still maintaining it for all other clubs?

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly. Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly.

Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.

I guess I missed that part of the OP.  I saw the 220 yard 4 iron (which is fine), and the 310 yard driver (uh-huh, sure) but somehow glossed over the 120 sw/150 uw part.  That is a bit ridiculous.

tuffluck, if you really do hit those 2 clubs that far, my first suggestion would be to try and keep your shoes on when you swing.  If you're hitting a 56* wedge 120 yards, I don't care how good or big you might be ... I think you're swinging too damn hard.  (I consider myself a fairly long hitter and a full swing with my 54.5 - that is 1" longer than standard - goes 110)

Secondly ... I'd suggest that you'd be better off with a setup more like mine, which means you'd have to dump the 56 too.  30 yards is waaaaaay too big of a gap between wedges, IMO.  Don't add a 62, but instead lose the 56 and add a 54 and a 58.  You say "UW" so I assume that you are talking about Pings, which means its likely 50*.  It also means that your PW is 45 or 46, so logically, it would make sense to have a 54/58 combo.  That means instead of going 150/120/80 and leaving 30 and 40 yard gaps, you'd be able to go 150/130/110, which is a little more sensible if you ask me.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I guess I missed that part of the OP.  I saw the 220 yard 4 iron (which is fine), and the 310 yard driver (uh-huh, sure) but somehow glossed over the 120 sw/150 uw part.  That is a bit ridiculous.

tuffluck, if you really do hit those 2 clubs that far, my first suggestion would be to try and keep your shoes on when you swing.  If you're hitting a 56* wedge 120 yards, I don't care how good or big you might be ... I think you're swinging too damn hard.  (I consider myself a fairly long hitter and a full swing with my 54.5 - that is 1" longer than standard - goes 110)

Secondly ... I'd suggest that you'd be better off with a setup more like mine, which means you'd have to dump the 56 too.  30 yards is waaaaaay too big of a gap between wedges, IMO.  Don't add a 62, but instead lose the 56 and add a 54 and a 58.  You say "UW" so I assume that you are talking about Pings, which means its likely 50*.  It also means that your PW is 45 or 46, so logically, it would make sense to have a 54/58 combo.  That means instead of going 150/120/80 and leaving 30 and 40 yard gaps, you'd be able to go 150/130/110, which is a little more sensible if you ask me.

I really don't think I swing too hard. Plus, the numbers make sense if you start with a 4i @ 220 and work your way back ~10y per club...5i 210, 6i 200, 7i 190, 8i 180, 9i 170, PW 160, UW 150, 54 130, 56 120, etc.

The 56 is such a great and versatile club for me, I feel ditching it would be abandoning the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so I'm just trying to add something else that would compliment it for tighter/closer shots.

Originally Posted by tuffluck

I really don't think I swing too hard. Plus, the numbers make sense if you start with a 4i @ 220 and work your way back ~10y per club...5i 210, 6i 200, 7i 190, 8i 180, 9i 170, PW 160, UW 150, 54 130, 56 120, etc.

The 56 is such a great and versatile club for me, I feel ditching it would be abandoning the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality, so I'm just trying to add something else that would compliment it for tighter/closer shots.

Then I'd second Geauxforbroke's recommendation ... You want 62 but are concerned with 7* being too little bounce, so get the 60/10 and bend it to a 62/12.  Voila ... problem solved.

And regarding the swinging hard comment ... the reason why I say that is because I hit a 4 iron 220 when I hit it solidly, yet when I take what I consider to be a "hard" swing with my 54.5 SW it's only going 115.  If I had a 56, I would bet my "hard" swing would go 105 max.  Maybe "hard" isn't the right word though, because my "full" swings with wedges are not really as full as with longer clubs.  So perhaps your swing is a little too long instead of too hard.

My point simply being that you don't NEED to be hitting short irons/wedges that far.  There is no benefit, and in fact, as you are finding out, there is a detriment, because now you have problems when you're too close to the green.  (That statement should never have to be uttered ... nobody should ever be too close to the green)  A little bit shorter and smoother swings would bring down those distances such that the gaps are closer together and you have smaller gaps at the bottom and bigger gaps at the top.

Not really. I was suggesting that short of tour pro swing speeds, the likely way to hit a gap wedge 150 yds is to have so much forward shaft lean at impact that the effective loft is reduced significantly.

Of course it's possible that tuffluck has tour pro swing speed too...... I'm just jealous. I wish I could hit driver, wedge into those pesky little 470 yd par 4's.

I didn't catch that he hit his UW (~54 degrees?) 150 yards, either. If I could hit it that far the ball would travel about 120 to 130 yards up in the air. I understand now that he must be delofting it.

Thanks for the explanation, Dave.

To Tuffluck, you should get professionally fitted. I don't know how much you can get from the internet.

However, GolfingDad is really good , and if I were you I would try to listen to what he has to say. Keep in mind that he is a really big dude, and you might need to get shorter clubs.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

I didn't catch that he hit his UW (~54 degrees?) 150 yards, either. ...

No, a standard Ping UW (gap wedge, approach wedge, I think they're all the same) is 50*

We also don't know where he's playing.  If he's up in the sky somewhere (Colorado, Montana, etc, etc) then the 150 UW isn't crazy at all.

I am just stereotyping that a guy with a 15 handicap who hits it that far is probably swinging out of control in some way, shape or form.

Basically following up Golfingdad's posts.

If you really do just have natural ultra high swing speed or just aren't ready to hear it (I wasn't when i was playing off a 15) then it is what it is.  But before you start buying clubs, look at your FW% and GIR%.  I'm CAPABLE of hitting my 4i 220 and my drives 310.  But I'd play to about a 15-20 if I swung that way.  The longer I've played and the more I've learned, the easier I've swung.  In my standard SoCal dry hot sunny weather, I play my 4i to 200-205 instead of 220, and expect my drives to roll out to ~280 or so instead of 310.  I've started breaking 80 sometimes on easy courses swinging that way.  When I strike one of those clubs particularly well (when it's not cold or wet) they still go that far, or nearly as far.  But to average that distance I'd have to cut my FW% and GIR% in half, or worse.

One more thing to think about if you need the convincing is that pros really do dial it way back.  I saw Bubba in a Pro-Am Wednesday driving comp once where he was putting it out to 360-380.  In competition he drives it more like 320-330.  And as a spectacularly naturally gifted pro his fairway percentage when going from 85% to 100% drops WAY less than yours or mine.  You're a 15 right now.  Surely you don't want to go back to being a quite short hitter, but are you sure you aren't going 110% every swing and could shoot much much better scores swinging 80%?

That said, I'm a huge fan of the LW.  I played 2h, 3i-PW, 54˚ SW for a long time, and both my 60-80 yard shots and my green side shots improved dramatically when I got my 60˚.  It's low bounce, but I don't really find it a problem.  It means I don't feel super comfortable using it out of the sand much, but except in really hard bunkers I'm comfortable opening my higher bounce 54˚ up more and just pounding the sand hard to get more height.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

Note: This thread is 3931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!