IGNORED

Newbie - looking at Nike Method Midnight putter.

swlondon
Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi there,

I have been going to the range for years but only recently bought myself a set of irons. I managed to get some second hand ones from a friend.

I am also currently borrowing another friend's Odyssey Tri-ball SRT which I personally find so so. Having played only 4 rounds of golf so far I haven't always enjoyed playing with it.

I need my own putter anyway and have seen great reviews of the Nike Method Midnight range. I can get the 006 in a 33" size.

Is this a suitable putter for me in terms of my golfing experience? Would I be able to make the most out of it? I do like it a lot as well and am going to try it out on Saturday.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by swlondon

Hi there,

I have been going to the range for years but only recently bought myself a set of irons. I managed to get some second hand ones from a friend.

I am also currently borrowing another friend's Odyssey Tri-ball SRT which I personally find so so. Having played only 4 rounds of golf so far I haven't always enjoyed playing with it.

I need my own putter anyway and have seen great reviews of the Nike Method Midnight range. I can get the 006 in a 33" size.

Is this a suitable putter for me in terms of my golfing experience? Would I be able to make the most out of it? I do like it a lot as well and am going to try it out on Saturday.

Thanks.

Are you getting it used/at a discount? If not, I think you might be better served finding something a bit more economical and using the additional funds for lesson or other clubs. As a beginner, a $250+ putter is probably overkill.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Putting is probably the most individualistic part of the game of golf. Selecting a putter can make a big difference in your confidence on the greens. There are golfers, like me, that will try almost anything to try and make more putts. I have more than 25 putters in my basement, and currently rotate 5 different putters in and out of my bag.

I took this information from the Golfsmith website on how to select the proper putter. Hopefully, this will help.  Best of luck...

CLUBHEAD DESIGN

here are three-types of putter head designs to consider:

• Traditional/blade style putters are thinner in depth from face to cavity and are typically heel-toe weighted. Many players use traditional style putters because they grew up using them and they "look right to their eye.

• Mallet-style putters have more depth from face to the back of the cavity and are preferred by some because they offer better alignment than blade style putters.

• Alignment putters tend to have a larger clubhead and come with various types of alignment aids, which may be geometric in design or feature a series of lines or directional improvement aids which make it easier for the golfer to start the ball on the proper target line.

INSERT TECHNOLOGY

Performance improvement materials are inserted into the clubface to create a smoother roll and enhanced feel. They vary in color, firmness and material and are designed to get the ball rolling and reduce skidding off the club face. Try different inserts to find the one that feels right to you.

LENGTH

Putter length has a huge effect on your stroke. Today's putters range in length from 32" to 52" — all with designs to keep your eyes over the ball. The goal should be to find a putter that fits your putting stroke rather than changing your stroke to fit the putter. WARNING: the ban for anchored putters, such as the belly putter, begins January 1, 2016.

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Originally Posted by dfreuter415

CLUBHEAD DESIGN

here are three-types of putter head designs to consider:

Traditional/blade style putters are thinner in depth from face to cavity and are typically heel-toe weighted. Many players use traditional style putters because they grew up using them and they "look right to their eye.

Mallet-style putters have more depth from face to the back of the cavity and are preferred by some because they offer better alignment than blade style putters.

Alignment putters tend to have a larger clubhead and come with various types of alignment aids, which may be geometric in design or feature a series of lines or directional improvement aids which make it easier for the golfer to start the ball on the proper target line.

Pretty good info. I think you can boil all putter head designs to two categories:

1. Heel-toe weighted (most blades) - this style is best for players (like me) that tend to open and close the putter during the stroke.

2. Face balanced (most mallets) - the easiest way to explain face balanced is to imagine balancing a putter shaft on your finger. If the face points upward, that means the face is equally balanced. This style is best for players that keep the putter square throughout the stroke.

To the OP, if you're just beginning, you may not have a solid stroke yet anyway. Likely, the stroke you develop will complement the type of putter you choose. It's kind of a chicken-and-egg question: do I like a blade putter because of my putting stroke, or was my putting stroke the result of using a blade when I first learned how to play?

Regardless of what you choose, I wouldn't break the bank on a first putter. Unless of course you have the means to buy whatever you want. In that case, buy 'em all!

Tyler Martin

• 33 inches sounds like future back problems.
  • At 2 degrees of loft, don't forward press.
  • You must fall in love with a putter and it is an attractive putter BUT
  • I'd make certain that I aimed it at my intended target before purchase to make sure where you aim and where you think you're aiming - are the same place.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

True that 33" might be too short. However, go with a length that feels comfortable. If you are shorter or have long arms, 33" may be perfect. My putter is 32.25" and I'm 6'.

Tyler Martin

I still play with the first putter I ever bought (for $1 at a yard sale) and it's not even a big brand name putter.

I bought three other name brand putters but decided to have a contest between my putters over a week period and tried 25 putts with each putter each day from 10 feet (putting at a dime) and scored each putt on a scale of one to ten with ten being a perfect roll over the center of the dime and no wobble of the line on my ball. At the end of the week the highest score wins.

To my HUGE surprise the yard sale putter easily won fair and square so I took the other putters to the course the next day and sold them all.

Since that day I've never had any reason to change putters again.

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

True that 33" might be too short. However, go with a length that feels comfortable. If you are shorter or have long arms, 33" may be perfect. My putter is 32.25" and I'm 6'.

Well I'm 5'6" so thought that a 33" putter would also be more suited to me. What do you think?

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

Are you getting it used/at a discount? If not, I think you might be better served finding something a bit more economical and using the additional funds for lesson or other clubs. As a beginner, a $250+ putter is probably overkill.

I am getting it at a discount because it is used.

It is $142US. The shop has a 7 day trial period where I can take the putter, use it and then return it if I am not happy with it.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

33 inches sounds like future back problems.

At 2 degrees of loft, don't forward press.

You must fall in love with a putter and it is an attractive putter BUT

I'd make certain that I aimed it at my intended target before purchase to make sure where you aim and where you think you're aiming - are the same place.

The shop I am buying it from has small putting mat to try it out on.

Why do you advise not to press forward with the putter?

Thanks.

The shop I am buying it from has small putting mat to try it out on.

Why do you advise not to press forward with the putter?

According to the specs, it only has 2 degrees of loft. Forward press and you may have 0 or negative loft depending on your setup. Be careful. WIth only 2 degrees of loft, I'd probably hop on a SAM or other putting simulator, to check the setup.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

According to the specs, it only has 2 degrees of loft. Forward press and you may have 0 or negative loft depending on your setup. Be careful. WIth only 2 degrees of loft, I'd probably hop on a SAM or other putting simulator, to check the setup.

Is two degree a lot or only a little? How will it affect the roll of the ball in your opinion? According to reviews of the putter it creates very good ball roll and little hop.

Is two degree a lot or only a little?

How will it affect the roll of the ball in your opinion? According to reviews of the putter it creates very good ball roll and little hop.

It's a little.

About 10 years ago, the standard was 4 degrees of loft. It still is with Cameron putters. With greens being shorter height and faster, 2 degrees puts a better roll on a fast green. But you need some loft.

It sounds as if you need a putting lesson. Here is a video about a neutral setup. Don't worry about the SeeMore promotion. Pat helps you establish a neutral setup. As to his stroke, that's not important. The setup is important. I use a neutral setup but this is not my stroke - it's a little too rigid for me.

• Administrator

Is two degree a lot or only a little?

It depends entirely upon your putting stroke.

A good stroke generally has loft of 1-2 degrees at impact (hands forward decreases loft), and a rise angle of 2-3 degrees.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Originally Posted by iacas

It depends entirely upon your putting stroke.

A good stroke generally has loft of 1-2 degrees at impact (hands forward decreases loft), and a rise angle of 2-3 degrees.

Agree with Erik...

One of my earlier posts was a warning about forward pressing when you are working with 2 deg of loft. In my last post, I tried to say that 2 deg is sufficient loft on today's faster greens as long as you have sufficient loft at impact as Erik stated above.

Agree with Erik... One of my earlier posts was a warning about forward pressing when you are working with 2 deg of loft. In my last post, I tried to say that 2 deg is sufficient loft on today's faster greens as long as you have sufficient loft at impact as Erik stated above.

Ok so what you guys are saying then about the Nike putter is that because it has only 2 degrees on it it will send the ball further right? And then what you are saying is that that could be too much forward roll, so that has to be counteracted with less follow-through????

Ok so what you guys are saying then about the Nike putter is that because it has only 2 degrees on it it will send the ball further right? And then what you are saying is that that could be too much forward roll, so that has to be counteracted with less follow-through????

No ... none of that.

Get a neutral set up as shown in the video, and make a stroke.

Don't worry about what we said. If your setup is neutral, you should be fine.

If you 'are 5'6", 33 inches may work. See how your back feels and whether you are comfortable and relaxed. That is what is important besides a neutral setup - relaxing with soft arms.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 3913 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!