IGNORED

F1 (Formula 1) Racing Topic

GatorGolf

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

It will be interesting next year to see what engine that Red Bull will run. I believe that this was Honda's last year?

Yeah, but I think they basically collaborated this year, and hired away a few of the Honda people. So I don't think they're basically a "new" engine builder like some have said.

I still think it's interesting the rake difference between the Merc and the RB. Merc has always seemed to have the straight line speed, RB better slower cornering tracks because of it. I wonder if tracks evolving will change some of that from RB.

Heck, just this week the track took ten seconds or so off lap times by removing some chicanes and softening some corners to allow higher speeds. Max won last year on the old track, and wouldn't have won a "normal" race this year on the revised track.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, but I think they basically collaborated this year, and hired away a few of the Honda people. So I don't think they're basically a "new" engine builder like some have said.

I still think it's interesting the rake difference between the Merc and the RB. Merc has always seemed to have the straight line speed, RB better slower cornering tracks because of it. I wonder if tracks evolving will change some of that from RB.

Heck, just this week the track took ten seconds or so off lap times by removing some chicanes and softening some corners to allow higher speeds. Max won last year on the old track, and wouldn't have won a "normal" race this year on the revised track.

I believe they are going to a wider tire next year also. I don't know enough about it but I would think a wider tire would slow the car down but give more control? 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
GettyImages-1337764028-760x380.jpg

Tarmac replaced gravel and grass runoff for safety, but it has a drawback.

I haven't thought about it a LOT, but I support this idea!

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator
SI202103260669_news_2021-04-06-122949.jp

Mercedes can expect a visit from Christian Horner in the near future, with the Red Bull man winning a factory tour at a charity auction.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

12 hours ago, iacas said:
SI202103260669_news_2021-04-06-122949.jp

Mercedes can expect a visit from Christian Horner in the near future, with the Red Bull man winning a factory tour at a charity auction.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha.

And here is the coffee machine, and in here is where the security guards sit to make sure that no opposing teams can get into the interesting bits. And that concludes our tour for today. Thank you for coming.

I just want them to have a ridiculous joke of a CAD model for the car up on every monitor, maybe some guys sitting there for half an hour rotating a single wheel nut in Solidworks while they're at it. A car with a black silk drape that's absolutely covered in pool noodles and other bits/bobs underneath to make the shape look different.

• Administrator

FLPc1D6XoAEX3CU?format=jpg&name=medium

That's not a bad look.

I'm mostly just excited by the fact that cars will be dramatically different from one another, as evidenced by the Haas reveal's massive difference in design particularly around the sidepod philosophy compared to AM's longer but narrower "double-floor" design.

• Administrator
31 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

I'm mostly just excited by the fact that cars will be dramatically different from one another, as evidenced by the Haas reveal's massive difference in design particularly around the sidepod philosophy compared to AM's longer but narrower "double-floor" design.

I don't think they're showing off the car designs, I think these are just the liveries. There'd be major disadvantages to showing off the full car now.

On 2/11/2022 at 12:53 PM, iacas said:

I don't think they're showing off the car designs, I think these are just the liveries. There'd be major disadvantages to showing off the full car now.

McLaren, Haas, and Aston Martin all publicly stated they're showing off older versions of their actual vehicle design. The rest of the teams used the F1 show car we've seen for the last year or two because they purchased their own copies of those to paint liveries onto, but those 3 teams did not purchase show cars and used older version of their design (almost certainly with some obfuscating pieces added as well) for their livery reveals.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Getting closer to March 20.Will Smith Wow GIF by 1LIVE

And March 11…

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

So apparently ground effects are making all of the cars bounce up and down on the straights (high speeds. They knew this might happen but it's more than predicted by the simulations.

image.jpg

The word ‘porpoising’ is back in fashion in F1, having been largely missing from the vocabulary for the last 40 years – when we last had ground effect cars…

With much more underbody downforce, stiffer suspensions and stiffer tyres (so not as much cushioning effect) the problem has returned with a vengeance. None of the teams had seen this effect in simulation. In a wind tunnel, even the stiffest belt of the rolling road is more flexible than the track surface, and accurately modelling the dynamics of the springs and dampers in this situation is not really possible.

It's definitely a large issue this year, mainly as a result of the suspension and tire changes more-so than the ground effect changes since the previous cars already made the majority of their downforce from the floor even if doing so while creating more dirty air.

The easiest way to see it's an issue primarily with the suspension is to watch Max Verstappen cruising into the pits and experiencing very similar issues at speeds far too low for ground effect to be the culprit. The teams lost their 2 main sources of suspension damping in the form of the dramatic reduction in tire sidewall and the banning of hydraulic damper setups that were previously the norm.

k4y6plu0trj81.gif

• Administrator
24 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

The easiest way to see it's an issue primarily with the suspension is to watch Max Verstappen cruising into the pits

Yeah, that's not from the ground effects stuff. Okay. I thought from our earlier conversation you were saying that "porpoising" was similar.

I see now you were just talking about the suspension/dampening stuff.

• Administrator