IGNORED

Golf in Maui

22 hours ago, Golfist said:

Anyone played both the Gold and the Emerald at Wailea? Which would you recommend for someone on a 12 handicap? I've heard the Emerald course is more forgiving? 

I played the Emerald Course, it was a really good course and not that difficult.  I did not get to play the gold course.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 6 months later...

I just got back from Maui. I played both Kapalua courses while I was there, and wanted to share some quick thoughts:

Kapalua Plantation

Incredible course with great views. It is hard, though. I played tees that were rated similar to my normal tees at my home course and got my butt kicked. The course is especially tough for first timers. There were a bunch of blind to semi-blind tee shots where I was a bit lost on where to go. There were other tee shots where the best play was not obvious until you got to the fairway. 1 is an example - on the cart GPS and yardage book, 3 wood seemed like a good play, but with the wind and downhill, it was not. The issue for me is that the round was $450, and it feels like a course you need to play multiple times to play well at. At that price, it's not really a course you're going to play multiple times. Tee times are cheaper in the afternoon, but it's still around $300 I think.

That said, you could prepare better than I did. There is plenty out there, including videos, articles, etc., to prepare you for the round. You can also get a caddy if you want. 

On the plus side, the course is very unique. The views and how the holes are carved onto the hillside make the setting incredible. While there is a very strong prevailing wind, the course is designed with it in mind. The holes into the wind are short - I mean like 300-350 yard par 4 short - and the holes with the wind are much longer. I never had a shot where I couldn't get to the green because of wind, which I think is great. The closing 2 holes are awesome, and a good reward for slogging through holes 10-15, which mostly play directly into the wind. I hit a 5 iron to pin high on 18 after a 350 yard drive and made a birdie. I will not forget that shot.

Conditioning is spectacular. As you would expect with the price. But the greens were rolling very true and didn't really have any ball marks on them. Everywhere on the actual course was more or less perfect. This is not something I really care about unless it's really bad or really good, and this was the best conditioning I've ever seen. 

Bottom line: I'm glad that I played the course, but I wish it was cheaper so I could get another shot at it. But only play this course if you are a very serious golfer. The price and difficultly do not make it worth it for someone who is not really into golf. 

Kapalua Bay

I really enjoyed this course. I was expecting a bit of a let down after playing Plantation, but this exceeded my expectations. It's not a great strategic routing, but it's a lot of fun. There are a few holes where you can pound driver with the wind and hit a 350+ yard drive, which is always fun to do. The views are good, although not quite as spectacular as Plantation. The course is pretty easy and straightforward. The challenge is from the wind - figuring out where it's coming from and how to judge it. I think this is a much better place to take less serious golfers. My wife hadn't played for over a year and really enjoyed the course. There were a lot of holes that I liked, even if most of them didn't force a decision or require you to do something other than hit driver.

On the negative side, there were one or two bad holes. 16, which plays onto a piece of land that juts into the ocean with bays on both sides is a forced lay up off the tee and a forced carry to get to the green. 5 is similar, except it doesn't have the views that 16 does. These aren't terrible holes, but they're going to be tough for mediocre to bad golfers. Also, the conditioning was not what I'd expect for the greens fee ($280). It played fine, but the greens were a little shaggy, slow, and you could see some spots where they weren't cut evenly. Didn't affect the round, but I feel like a $300 a round course should be a little better.

Bottom line: I would go back here for sure. I think it's a much better course for less serious golfers than Plantation. It's a fun course, and it's not going to beat you up.

Next time I go to Maui, I will probably play Plantation again and try to play one of the Wailea courses. We stayed near Lahaina, so I didn't feel like driving an hour to play golf. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Nice fair write up, I did not know the prices went up that high. I've played with people who paid near 3 and not sure if Maui co resident or HI but that day I paid $75. Since my first time on both courses was around 30 years ago I cannot relate there but I do know plantation #9 and #15, are work for me, and aim for a bogey on those 2, plus I stay positive with myself no matter what happens, then I enjoy the other 16. Our favorite visit is to stay at the townhouse above the 1st green on the Bay course. Outrigger rents them out and senior rate is as good as kamaaina. They have a kitchen so quick stop at Safeway or Whole foods helps. Plus, from there you can walk across the course to the restaurants in Kapalua. Then start play somewhere else (Wailea) then play Plantation, Bay, Plantation for a nice 4 day visit. I get what you are saying on the Bay #16, and they put those trees in the way. 

iSank

Hi, I live on a small island in the Pacific Ocean.