IGNORED

Pace of play scenario

JP72
Note: This thread is 3934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by iacas

I bolded a piece of your text that demonstrates a lack of reading comprehension on your part.

All he's said is that just letting every faster group through makes no sense. One of those times is when the course is full in front of you. He never said he never lets groups through. In fact, he said he does quite often.

Just not when it doesn't make sense to.

Sorry, should have made it more evident that I wasn't arguing fourputts thoughts but merely his attitude towards cda.  Just noticed him attacking shorty personally on another post as well..

"Again you are trying to find a way to justify your point of view, period."  That's the statement I was agreeing with.  I find it interesting when people desperately fight to make others believe they are right.

I guess we will agree to disagree.  But rest assured, anytime you come up behind me on the course I will offer to let you play through, regardless of what is ahead of me, both what I can and cannot see.  What is ahead of me is 100% irrelevant in my opinion.  It's not my place to judge, it's simply my place to offer to allow groups faster than mine to play through.  If they get stuck right in front of me, I lose half a hole, that's all.  BUT if they get stuck it's 100% because others are instilling their judgement instead of simply following the rule.

In My Bag:

Irons: 2-SW Golfsmith MB Forged S300's & 60 degree Callaway

Putter: 20 year old rusty Cameron no clue what model

Woods: 1 & 3 Cheap Ass Walter Hagen Stiff Grafalloy $30 per club lol

Originally Posted by Nutter

Quote:

Originally Posted by cda77

Again you are trying to find a way to justify your point of view, period.   I could give you many examples, but it's a waste of time.   You look at the etiquette rule from the incorrect point of view, IMO.  You are trying to find a reason to NOT let people play through instead of just using common sense and let anyone play through who is playing faster than you.  If every group on the course let faster groups through, your 5 hour round would be cut way down.  Instead people attempt to justify with, there is no where to go.  That is bs,  If every group adheres to the rule, that single or twosome would move right through everyone in front of them, until they ran into someone like you.

Haha, I totally agree.  If he's this big of a know it all on a golf forum because he's worked at a golf course (as many of us have in our high school/college years) then there's no way he's letting the average player pass him, it's an ego thing.  Many have already stated what the proper etiquette is, if a group is waiting on you consistently for 2 holes or so and there's no one in front of you let them through regardless of how you think you're doing, it's pretty simple and guys appreciate it more than you think.  If the whole course is clogged up just tell them you're waiting as well or you would let them through.  Oh yea, and if your opinion differs from that, you are entitled to it and I will not try to change your mind.

You need to read the whole thread before you start posting - read all of the words.  And if you think I have an ego problem, then you really, really don't know me.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Fourputt

You need to read the whole thread before you start posting - read all of the words.  And if you think I have an ego problem, then you really, really don't know me.

So hypothetical question.  You think the course is packed with foursomes.  On the third tee box, a single catches you.  The foursome ahead of you is walking to the green.  Do you let the single through?

In My Bag:

Quote:

So hypothetical question.  You think the course is packed with foursomes.  On the third tee box, a single catches you.  The foursome ahead of you is walking to the green.  Do you let the single through?

No.  If the course allows a fivesome, or if my group is a man short, I would invite him to join us, but a single has no more right to a fast round than anyone else does if he chooses to come out alone on a busy day.  He made a choice, and it's up to him to live with it.  (Until a few years ago, it was even part of the rules that a single had no standing on the course and was required to give precedence to larger groups)

I've played as a single on busy days (don't like it but sometimes had no choice) and never had any expectations of playing through anyone.  I've even been invited to do so, and declined since the next group was still walking up the fairway to the green.  I have played through one group to catch up with a threesome which I could then join up with, but that is  a different scenario.

Most of my play is with other fast players, and we are almost always right on someone's tail.  We still don't feel that we have the inalienable right to play through just because we are faster than the course flow that day.

Rick

No.  If the course allows a fivesome, or if my group is a man short, I would invite him to join us, but a single has no more right to a fast round than anyone else does if he chooses to come out alone on a busy day.  He made a choice, and it's up to him to live with it.  (Until a few years ago, it was even part of the rules that a single had no standing on the course and was required to give precedence to larger groups)

I've played as a single on busy days (don't like it but sometimes had no choice) and never had any expectations of playing through anyone.  I've even been invited to do so, and declined since the next group was still walking up the fairway to the green.  I have played through one group to catch up with a threesome which I could then join up with, but that is  a different scenario.

Most of my play is with other fast players, and we are almost always right on someone's tail.  We still don't feel that we have the inalienable right to play through just because we are faster than the course flow that day.

As I suspected, this sums up everything I need to know about you are your golf etiquette.  Punish the single instead of following the etiquette rules and allowing the play through.

It would cost you all of 3 minutes to let the single go, but instead you dictate how things work on your course

This isn't about 'rights' it's about etiquette.  Manners and politeness on the golf course.

In My Bag:

As I suspected, this sums up everything I need to know about you are your golf etiquette.  Punish the single instead of following the etiquette rules and allowing the play through.

It would cost you all of 3 minutes to let the single go, but instead you dictate how things work on your course

This isn't about 'rights' it's about etiquette.  Manners and politeness on the golf course.

I've played as a single many, many times and never expected the group in front of my to let me through when they were also waiting.  If there is no where to go, there is no etiquette to abide by.

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I guess we will agree to disagree.  But rest assured, anytime you come up behind me on the course I will offer to let you play through, regardless of what is ahead of me, both what I can and cannot see.  What is ahead of me is 100% irrelevant in my opinion.  It's not my place to judge, it's simply my place to offer to allow groups faster than mine to play through.  If they get stuck right in front of me, I lose half a hole, that's all.  BUT if they get stuck it's 100% because others are instilling their judgement instead of simply following the rule.

I play a lot with just another buddy as a twosome.  We're fast.....give us some room and we're under 2:20 for the round.  When we come up behind a slower group that has room in front of them that doesn't let us through, I lose my mind.  Not letting a fast group through when you're not able to keep up with the pace of play on the course is poor etiquette.  BUT, when the group ahead of us is right on the tail of the group ahead of them, there's simply nowhere to go.  Letting us through in that case would do no good at all except to slow everyone down.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Nutter

Sorry, should have made it more evident that I wasn't arguing fourputts thoughts but merely his attitude towards cda.

You seem to be letting how you feel about the issue color how you feel about what's actually being said.

What is ahead of me is 100% irrelevant in my opinion.

It's not irrelevant. And it's not really an opinion - there are plenty of actual facts to support this.

Originally Posted by cda77

It's not my place to judge…

Then stop doing it so frequently, please.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

cda77 and I have the same avatar, so I will change mine shortly - I guess a stock Win7 photo isn't the best huh?

Anyway, I play as a single or double a lot - and fast and late in the afternoon on a weekday sometimes.  And it INFURIATES me that so many groups don't even give a thought to letting you play through when no one is in front of them.  I've got a chance to slip in 9 or more after work, but this stops me.  Hate it and think it is super-bad etiquette.  I think some people simply don't know to do it.

Having said that, if I am in a foursome and right behind (or even waiting on) another group - we never let anyone play through. As far as I have always known - you let people play through only if there is somewhere to go. Otherwise, you just consider it the pace of the day and eat it.

And the converse is true as well.  As bad as I hate scenario one above - if I am playing faster than the group in front of me, but there is a group right in front of them - how can I expect to play through?

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

cda77 and I have the same avatar, so I will change mine shortly - I guess a stock Win7 photo isn't the best huh?

Anyway, I play as a single or double a lot - and fast and late in the afternoon on a weekday sometimes.  And it INFURIATES me that so many groups don't even give a thought to letting you play through when no one is in front of them.  I've got a chance to slip in 9 or more after work, but this stops me.  Hate it and think it is super-bad etiquette.  I think some people simply don't know to do it.

Having said that, if I am in a foursome and right behind (or even waiting on) another group - we never let anyone play through. As far as I have always known - you let people play through only if there is somewhere to go. Otherwise, you just consider it the pace of the day and eat it.

And the converse is true as well.  As bad as I hate scenario one above - if I am playing faster than the group in front of me, but there is a group right in front of them - how can I expect to play through?

It seems that everyone, EXCEPT cda, has come to an agreement on this issue. It is just common sense how it works. At this point, I am starting to think CDA is just troll that is trying to get everyone all worked up.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Quote:

Good job guy.  You have a majority of one on this topic.  Tell me this.  If 12 groups allow that single to play through with a 3 minute delay each time, what have you done to the overall pace of play?  (Let me give you a hint:  multiply 12 times 3)

Rick

Quote:

Quote:

Good job guy.  You have a majority of one on this topic.  Tell me this.  If 12 groups allow that single to play through with a 3 minute delay each time, what have you done to the overall pace of play?  (Let me give you a hint:  multiply 12 times 3)

Exactly! Thank you, math.

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

Love your new one. Old Head in Ireland?

Bill

Very bizarre hypothetical. I understand the point you are trying to make but the reality is this is never going to happen. A packed course is not going to allow a single to play alone. But if you want to play this game, I would not let him play through. He would wait just as much as you. And why is the group ahead of you on the green while you are on the tee?

Originally Posted by MSchott

Quote:

Very bizarre hypothetical. I understand the point you are trying to make but the reality is this is never going to happen. A packed course is not going to allow a single to play alone. But if you want to play this game, I would not let him play through. He would wait just as much as you. And why is the group ahead of you on the green while you are on the tee?

I frequently jump on the course late in the day as a single, scream through several holes, then bump up against a wall of foursomes. Usually happens later than the 3rd tee box, of course...

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I frequently jump on the course late in the day as a single, scream through several holes, then bump up against a wall of foursomes. Usually happens later than the 3rd tee box, of course...

I think he was wondering, unless it is a par 3, why you are not on the fairway when the group in front of you is on the green.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

I think he was wondering, unless it is a par 3, why you are not on the fairway when the group in front of you is on the green.

That seemed to be an afterthought, with his main point being a single behind a course packed with foursomes is unusual.

Bill

Note: This thread is 3934 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!