IGNORED

Big Break NFL

ejere1
Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I never like to see that kind of attitude anywhere, let alone on the golf course, but in Chris Doleman's defense, a career of concussions and mini-concussions will make any man's temper a lot shorter (CTE). As a teammate of his, I think one has to understand that this is a possibility with any of these guys besides Del Greco, and you have to adjust, take the abuse, and not make the situation worse by firing back at the guy.

As a defensive lineman, this guy was in the trenches for over two decades including college and high school, and he sustained God knows how many blows to the head over that time. If I'm Brian, I just take it and do my best to respond with a good shot for my team. There's no sense in judging the guy in either the short or long term given what I know about what football can do to even the nicest of guys.

I'm not saying that this was 100% what was happening when Doleman acted like an ass, but the probability of that being the case is simply too high for me to react in a way that I might with someone who I knew did not play football at one time in their life.

So I'm not necessarily excusing the guy, but saying that if I'm his teammate, I move on from situations like that real fast.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

you have to adjust, take the abuse, and not make the situation worse by firing back at the guy.

that's a very distressing comment for so many reasons - not really sure how to reply

(but really good insight anyway - thanks for that - I'm sure most of the time a lot of these guys are great, and fierce competitiveness should be expected and valued.  But self control is something I expect from every person - it's not a higher standard, it's an expectation of character.  That said, it didn't cross any line other than a huge man intimidating a tiny woman for no reason.  I've seen worse)

Bill - 

... besides Del Greco, ...

LOL, poor guy.  I liked his comment about how he felt the "referee" guy was a little too emphatic with his "no good" call just for him because he knew it would scar him.  That was funny.

I've been trying to find the old SNL (late 80's) skit online this morning showing all of the kickers rapping "We are kickers, we kick ball" but I have had no luck.  Anybody remember that?

I never like to see that kind of attitude anywhere, let alone on the golf course, but in Chris Doleman's defense, a career of concussions and mini-concussions will make any man's temper a lot shorter (CTE). As a teammate of his, I think one has to understand that this is a possibility with any of these guys besides Del Greco, and you have to adjust, take the abuse, and not make the situation worse by firing back at the guy.

As a defensive lineman, this guy was in the trenches for over two decades including college and high school, and he sustained God knows how many blows to the head over that time. If I'm Brian, I just take it and do my best to respond with a good shot for my team. There's no sense in judging the guy in either the short or long term given what I know about what football can do to even the nicest of guys.

I'm not saying that this was 100% what was happening when Doleman acted like an ass, but the probability of that being the case is simply too high for me to react in a way that I might with someone who I knew did not play football at one time in their life.

So I'm not necessarily excusing the guy, but saying that if I'm his teammate, I move on from situations like that real fast.

Doleman was annoyed because Brian is always talking about what a great golfer he is and hadn't delivered.   He told Brian the truth, you've choked every time we put you in the finishing spot so I'm putting myself there.  Brian hit a good shot as lead off and in the next competition Doleman led off and Brian was the finisher.

Shannon's comments could be seen as checking on Doleman to make sure he saw and read it right which given their performance would cause Doleman to be annoyed.

Doleman doesn't have CTE, he's a competitor and he wants to win.  His tactics might be harsh but given he's an ex-NFL'er that's how he's learned to coach.  Watch Hard Knocks, the coaches don't sprinkle sunshine and rainbows when players screw up.

Joe Paradiso

I'm definitely not saying he has CTE for sure, but there's such a decent chance that he does that as his teammate I wouldn't get annoyed by his short fuse against me if I screwed up.

But you definitely can't 100% say he doesn't have CTE. The very few studies they've done on it have yielded very scary results.

Constantine

I'm definitely not saying he has CTE for sure, but there's such a decent chance that he does that as his teammate I wouldn't get annoyed by his short fuse against me if I screwed up.

But you definitely can't 100% say he doesn't have CTE. The very few studies they've done on it have yielded very scary results.

Obviously we can't prove he does or doesn't.

My point is that his behavior given the circumstances was more indicative to me of a guy that wants to win versus a guy with CTE.  We see and hear just a small sample of Brian on the show and he seems like an arrogant a$$ that doesn't have the game to back up his mouth.  I can only imagine how much Doleman had to endure having him on his team.  They are both alpha males, Doleman is more alpha and showed it by putting Brian in his place.

If I was captain of the team and Brian droned on about how great he was and then watched him perform as he did (especially last week), I'd get frustrated with him too and I can prove I don't have CTE.

Joe Paradiso

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

Obviously we can't prove he does or doesn't.

My point is that his behavior given the circumstances was more indicative to me of a guy that wants to win versus a guy with CTE.  We see and hear just a small sample of Brian on the show and he seems like an arrogant a$$ that doesn't have the game to back up his mouth.  I can only imagine how much Doleman had to endure having him on his team.  They are both alpha males, Doleman is more alpha and showed it by putting Brian in his place.

If I was captain of the team and Brian droned on about how great he was and then watched him perform as he did (especially last week), I'd get frustrated with him too and I can prove I don't have CTE.

Yea, but he snapped at Shannon too. It wasn't just Brian. The guy had known them both for all but a day and already he's snapping at them. It was odd to me.

And yea, we can't prove it either way. And what I'm about to say doesn't prove anything either, but Doleman was a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the NFL over the concussion thing. Who knows if that was just a move of solidarity with his fellow veterans or what, but I do find that interesting.

Chances are the guy is just a jerk, but one never really knows with someone who has sustained so many head shots over 20+ years.

Constantine

Yea, but he snapped at Shannon too. It wasn't just Brian. The guy had known them both for all but a day and already he's snapping at them. It was odd to me.

And yea, we can't prove it either way. And what I'm about to say doesn't prove anything either, but Doleman was a plaintiff in the lawsuit against the NFL over the concussion thing. Who knows if that was just a move of solidarity with his fellow veterans or what, but I do find that interesting.

Chances are the guy is just a jerk, but one never really knows with someone who has sustained so many head shots over 20+ years.

I get it, just keep in mind that we're seeing snippets of what happened.  I didn't think he snapped at Shannon, I thought he felt her question was belittling and turned it back on her.  I think he got the impression that she was testing him on what he saw and he got annoyed that she'd question his ability to read the green and threw her question back at her as in, don't ask me what I saw, tell me what you saw if you want me to know something.

I didn't think he was a jerk, if that's the case every football coach I've had from pee wee football to college was a jerk.

Joe Paradiso

Also don't forget, guys, that it's a reality tv show. Which means there is likely a lot of creative editing, and perhaps even some directing. Who knows? We could probably take a lot of what we see with a grain of salt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetFan1983

I get it, just keep in mind that we're seeing snippets of what happened.  I didn't think he snapped at Shannon, I thought he felt her question was belittling and turned it back on her.  I think he got the impression that she was testing him on what he saw and he got annoyed that she'd question his ability to read the green and threw her question back at her as in, don't ask me what I saw, tell me what you saw if you want me to know something.

I didn't think he was a jerk, if that's the case every football coach I've had from pee wee football to college was a jerk.

Haha, a lot of my coaches were jerks, actually, but that's just my opinion :-D Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't listen and do what I was told haha.

Yea, could be editing, for sure. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, and you're right. I definitely don't want to wish such a terrible thing on a guy.

But -- and again, a difference of opinion -- I didn't think Shannon's question was belittling. "What do you see?" "I see this." "Okay, I agree or disagree, let's discuss." End of story, you know?

Constantine

Haha, a lot of my coaches were jerks, actually, but that's just my opinion  Of course, that doesn't mean I didn't listen and do what I was told haha.

Yea, could be editing, for sure. Obviously I hope I'm wrong, and you're right. I definitely don't want to wish such a terrible thing on a guy.

But -- and again, a difference of opinion -- I didn't think Shannon's question was belittling. "What do you see?" "I see this." "Okay, I agree or disagree, let's discuss." End of story, you know?

I can see how some thought he was a jerk, I think it was bad timing given their loss and Doleman being a very competitive person.  Time will show if he's a jerk of not as I'm sure they will be at risk again.

On a completely different subject, did anyone else notice Oren's swing?  It looks like he's taking swing lessons from Charles Barkley.  I don't remember his swing being so awkward in the previous season.

Overall I was pretty disappointed by the quality of play I saw, especially the shots out of the bunkers.  I would think -3 handicaps get up and down a lot easier than what the Big Breakers did this past week.

Joe Paradiso

Haha yea, Oren's swing isn't exactly pretty. But I do remember it being that ugly during Indian Wells.

As far as the bad shots, I do recall past big breakers saying that setting up the cameras and challenges takes forever, so there's a ton of sitting around and waiting just to hit one shot. With all that pressure building for so long, I guess it makes sense that there can be a series of screw ups. None of them have gotten much of a chance to get into a rhythm, and given this team format where each member takes turns hitting one shot, that may be a trend for the season.

Constantine

Haha yea, Oren's swing isn't exactly pretty. But I do remember it being that ugly during Indian Wells.

As far as the bad shots, I do recall past big breakers saying that setting up the cameras and challenges takes forever, so there's a ton of sitting around and waiting just to hit one shot. With all that pressure building for so long, I guess it makes sense that there can be a series of screw ups. None of them have gotten much of a chance to get into a rhythm, and given this team format where each member takes turns hitting one shot, that may be a trend for the season.

I didn't really consider all the camera set up time but that would help explain the poor quality of play.  I prefer when they go head to head and play a few holes as match or stroke play over the staged / trick shots.  The glass and flop shot wall are fun to watch but it's hard to get an idea of each golfers ability until they play out a full hole from tee to green.

Joe Paradiso

Jesus the women on this season are stunning! If I was locked in a room with Emily and Mallory... To be continued.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Poor Emily. What a horrible effort on her 2-footer. Didn't even graze the lip. I've been there, and it's not a good feeling after missing something like that.

She was mortified to hit that putt.  Had talked herself into missing as soon as it ran by on the previous one.  She should have never marked it.  No one is immune to missing that putt, but she didn't even give it a chance.  If you noticed, it never went an inch past the hole.  I felt for her - but would rather have seen her miss it with a little conviction.  Poor girl.

But I think the real mistake was putting the big guy at the 50 yarder.  Don't get the logic on that one - especially w/ Emily's putting woes.  Everyone was thinking to get it up and down from there - but that is not at all easy.

Brian's shot was awesome.  Not usually a fan of his and don't think he plays well very often.  But that was fantastic.  I hope he gives some tips on hitting that shot off that stuff in the associated Breed show.

Will doesn't look good.

The NFLers in general are doing a pretty good job.  Def pulling their weight if not more I think.

Tafoya still seems like a broadcaster and not a golf person.  And barely that.

I'm liking the show a little more every week now.

She was mortified to hit that putt.  Had talked herself into missing as soon as it ran by on the previous one.  She should have never marked it.  No one is immune to missing that putt, but she didn't even give it a chance.  If you noticed, it never went an inch past the hole.  I felt for her - but would rather have seen her miss it with a little conviction.  Poor girl.

But I think the real mistake was putting the big guy at the 50 yarder.  Don't get the logic on that one - especially w/ Emily's putting woes.  Everyone was thinking to get it up and down from there - but that is not at all easy.

Brian's shot was awesome.  Not usually a fan of his and don't think he plays well very often.  But that was fantastic.  I hope he gives some tips on hitting that shot off that stuff in the associated Breed show.

Will doesn't look good.

The NFLers in general are doing a pretty good job.  Def pulling their weight if not more I think.

Tafoya still seems like a broadcaster and not a golf person.  And barely that.

I'm liking the show a little more every week now.

Did you see the preview of next week?  There are going to be a lot more "Team Doleman" fireworks.  That team is a mess.

And I agree with whoever posted above that Shannon looks stoned in her interviews.  ;)

Props to Zakiya though ... she's been playing the best of all of them so far.

Note: This thread is 3611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!