IGNORED

Better contact with 3w than Driver

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played some golf and Saturday and ended up keeping my driver in the bag and used my 3w off the tee.  I was consistently making better contact and driving it further with the 3w. Every time I tried to use the driver I was pushing it right. I was playing with a buddy who is a great golfer and he couldn’t give me a reason on why I was doing that. Y’all have any ideas on what my problem might be?

What was the driver, and what was the 3W? Do the shafts have the same properties? I found a while ago that I hit my driver better with an AK grip - effectively, I make the shaft length a lot less than it is. I hit the center more often, and I get more distance accordingly. IMO: drivers are too long these days, mostly for marketing reasons. You'll hit it center a lot less often, but when you do, it'll travel enough farther to make you remember the shot - and when you start missing it regularly, you look into the next driver.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Shindig

What was the driver, and what was the 3W? Do the shafts have the same properties?

I found a while ago that I hit my driver better with an AK grip - effectively, I make the shaft length a lot less than it is. I hit the center more often, and I get more distance accordingly.

IMO: drivers are too long these days, mostly for marketing reasons. You'll hit it center a lot less often, but when you do, it'll travel enough farther to make you remember the shot - and when you start missing it regularly, you look into the next driver.

Driver is a RBZ Stage II with a stiff shaft and the 3W is a RBZ with a regular shaft.

Driver is a RBZ Stage II with a stiff shaft and the 3W is a RBZ with a regular shaft.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that your swing is one for which regular flex is a closer match than stiff flex. Any particular reason you have the mis-matched flex on these two clubs?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Well the 3w was my dads, he purchased a new one, so I took it off his hands. I went to the PGA superstore here in Dallas to get fitted for a driver and the guy that fitted me said the stiff shaft would be good with me. My dad changes clubs like underwear and he has the same driver I do but with a regular flex shaft, So maybe I can try out that club and see how it goes.

Most likely the trouble is your mind set and resultant change of swing motion due to belief that theshaft  length and large head of the  driver, and the ball teed up so high, is telling you 'smash into the ball with every ounce of your strength'..  Result: multiple failures of technique.  With the smaller and shorter 3W, you feel more control, and less fear,  of the clubhead and your mind/body interactions.   Nearly all players of HD >18 suffer the same, often or usually.

I didn't play the driver for several years due to the above reasons. Just got one and you really just have to trust the same tempo as your iron swing. One thing we have to accept is accuracy will not be the same as PGA pros the best ones are hitting 72% of fairways. If the flight is radically bad compared to the rest of the bag chances are you might be going at it too hard. If the flight is playable 10-15 yes either way than that's a good drive with a lower lofted club.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

I have this same problem. I do have a question/comment about the different flexes. Wouldn't you almost want to have your driver a bit stiffer than your other clubs, since the longer the shaft the less stiff it will be? I've found I hit men's drivers better than women's drivers, but was told that if I get a women's cut to my length it would be roughly the same flex as a men's regular flex.

My problem was even worse. I was not able to even hit my 3W except at the driving range. So, I needed to go to a 3 hybrid. I could only hit wedges and hybrids with any degree of certainty.

In the last month or so, I had been making some major changes to my swing. Thanks to my new coach, I am able to hit all but one of my clubs well enough, for now. The changes were to keep the wrist flat, keep my spine angle, push off with my legs to initiate the downswing, increase the lag, swing more vertically, find the "slot", changed to an inside out swing.

In short, he taught me how to swing a golf club correctly.

This has improved my ball striking for all my clubs. Still work in progress, but I am extremely happy with the progress.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I kept my 3 wood in my bag the 1st 4 months of this year. I was hitting the 3w solid and with more distance, but the driver could go either way. I was not bothered by it either. Whatever gives me the optimum chances for getting a good score. Before that I would pull out the driver thinking "This one will be good, I have been hitting my 3W great all day!" only to put it back in the bag 3 holes and 3 missing balls later..

If my go to club off the tee is my 3W and I can get it in the fairway 230-250..I don't have a reason to pull out the driver until I am comfortable enough to be consistent with it.

I do find that when I take a more relaxed swing with the driver and keep my left shoulder (righty) under my chin for as long as possible on the downswing, I find that it allows my lower body to start the swing and keeps me from swinging out and around essentially bringing the club over the top..but I need a lot more work with it before I use it on the tee box...

I figured most of it would be in my head or over swinging so I'll keep some of the things mentioned above.

I'm going out to play 9 holes tonight and will probably keep the driver in the bag but we will see how it goes. I'll post an update after.

Originally Posted by GatorGolf

I figured most of it would be in my head or over swinging so I'll keep some of the things mentioned above.

I'm going out to play 9 holes tonight and will probably keep the driver in the bag but we will see how it goes. I'll post an update after.

I think you are correct in the over swinging part. The fixes my coach made me do are to prevent this from happening.

It's going to be hard for you to trust that you have more power with a much shorter "feeling" swing.

However, like I said earlier, my swing is still work in progress.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 3928 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!