IGNORED

Change a straight-draw into a push-draw..?

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Lately I have been hitting all my irons with a straight-draw. About a month ago, I was hitting them the best I ever have but now a lot of my iron shots have a lower trajectory and a lot more spin on them. They are rolling about 10-20 yards on average in the fairway, which drives me insane because I land some well short of the green and they roll right over it.

Most of this started when I started trying to fix my slice off the tee, I started trying to swing more in to out and get my wrists to turn over. Now, my driver is awful. 1 in 5-10 shots will be straight and with good distance, but most of my drives have a lot of spin on them and are like.. little line drives that dive down at 150yards or so and then roll for a while.

Since the troubles with my driver I have teed off with my 3 wood a lot lately, and somehow hit a few push draws my last time out. They were beautiful, some of the best 3 wood shots I've ever hit, but unfortunately I wasn't aiming to do that. I was wondering if there are any adjustments I could do to change from hitting straight-draws to push-draws with irons? Also, if there are any tips to my driver situation, they would be greatly appreciated as well.

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5* S driver
Nike VR-S 3W
Cobra AMP Cell 3H
Callaway Big Bertha 3-10i, 50* W
Ping M/B 56* W
Ping M/B 60* W
Odyssey Black Series #8 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would suggest you stop trying to get your wrists to turn/roll over, I think would will have big issues playing consistently like this. Without knowing exactly it sounds like you could benefit from your lower centre pushing forward more on the downswing. This will enable you to change your path and hit a push draw by managing the face and path as opposed to rolling wrists. Pushing lower centre forward should also in theory help your AoA with driver. It sounds like it could be a bit down at the minute.

It sounds like your path is now inside out. To hit more of a push draw instead of a straight draw, you will need to open the face a little bit more. If you can do that while keeping the same path, the ball should start out a bit more to the right, and curve less.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

With your driver i suggest teeing it up a little higher than normal and keeping your grip light all the way through your swing. Don't focus on trying to turn your hands over, your just going to cause inconsistency.

Focus on grip pressure and then move your ball position a little further back to permit a push draw.

I, chdduncan, realize that I will be permanently banned if I violate the rules again in any way, including putting a link to a site in my signature like the one that a moderator removed and replaced with this message.

He could probably get his swing to have a bit more inside out, but if he just gets the clubface a bit more open at impact he would hit a small push draw

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

It sounds like your path is now inside out. To hit more of a push draw instead of a straight draw, you will need to open the face a little bit more. If you can do that while keeping the same path, the ball should start out a bit more to the right, and curve less.

Originally Posted by MarcA

I would suggest you stop trying to get your wrists to turn/roll over, I think would will have big issues playing consistently like this. Without knowing exactly it sounds like you could benefit from your lower centre pushing forward more on the downswing.

This and what others have posted. Although I would need more description of "pushing forward" as I have no idea what that means given the explanation. I don't know if he means push the hips forward to create secondary axis tilt (where back shoulder is lower than lead), which would be good.

I wouldn't buy the ball back yet unless your swing is technically correct and you are making fat contact. I would try the other suggestions before moving the ball back unless you're playing it off the big toe with your irons. Try it inside the shoulder socket or around the logo of your shirt. Check your head or chin - if you're making contact and your head/chin is behind the ball, you may have an issue.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Note: This thread is 3900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!