IGNORED

Practicing "Irregular" shots

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you all practice shots you can't simulate on a range, like fairway bunkers, or extreme hills, or through tree branches, etc? I was just thinking right now that I've never practiced a single fairway bunker shot in my life, which is why when I land in one I usually need a shot of whiskey or my nerves are toast. Does this kind of "fine tuning" just come from playing lots of golf over the years?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm spoiled. My home course has two practice holes and a great chipping area. I have practiced my trouble shot -- front foot below trail foot -- on those practice holes. Also lets me practice trying to flight different shots and see how the react with real balls and real fairways and greens.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

One of the easy and common things to do is find a course that you can play a slow practice round (no one behind you).   Practice various shots that you normally can't at range.  Do this often enough and you will improve.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I don't practice those shots. I know that's not ideal but when I find myself in a situation I don't practice for I just improvise a shot. It may not be the best shot but it's usually a safe one (i.e. chip back to the fairway). I'd rather devote my practice time to something that needs more work and that is more useful in an everyday round.

For me, fairway bunkers were always mental. 90% of the time, you have a perfect lie. Pick the right club, and just hit ball before sand and it's really not any different. It's just way scarier. Haha.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by mmoan2

How do you all practice shots you can't simulate on a range, like fairway bunkers, or extreme hills, or through tree branches, etc? ...

You just need to find the right practice range. We have three levels of the range hitting area, that rotate to prevent the grass from getting too beat-up.  The crown of each level has a gradual downslope before going about 45* downhill. You can practice uphill shots from either edge, or downhill shots from the crowns.

The range has three bunkers, two of which can be used for either greenside blast shots, or fairway bunker shots if you rotate your aim point 60*.

You can practice punch shots through or under tree branches from either edge, although you probably shouldn't do it if the range is crowded.

We have another range nearby that has three trees out in the landing area, and you can practice flying the ball "over the top" if you want.

And, like Motown said, you don't spend hours practicing such shots. If you can put your tee shots in the fairway, you don't need them as much.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 3925 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!