IGNORED

Does the open results give you more confidence in Tiger getting 19 or less?

Jakester23
Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The way Phil is playing this year is amazing and congratulations to him 1st off on a memorable sunday in a major. But what I thought of after the tourney was how long does phil have left to win another major. Personally I'd say 5-10 years so what does that mean for Tiger? IMO I'd say he has 5 more years than Phil based on what kind of shape he's in and also his ability. I know he's been hurt but I'd still say he has another 40 majors where he's going to be a legitimate contender and probably another 20 after that where he could get one like Jacks 18th. What do you think?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think Tiger is in great shape and plays great golf.  He did really good at the Masters (would have won it probably if not for that flagstick incident) and good at the British.  He could win a major at any time.

I love how the thought of Phil winning a major - or basically anything that can happen in the world of golf can quickly be turned to thoughts of how it affects Tiger.

His performance doesn't really change what I think about his chances to catch or surpass Jack. He (and about 150 other guys) didn't play well enough to win. If he gets things really rolling, he could rattle off 5 or 6 majors in 3 or 4 years. He's done it before, and I see no reason why he couldn't get back to that point again.

Tyler Martin

The way I look at tiger now is basically just one of the elite golfers in todays game. Of course I would say top 3 easily but 10 years ago there were the elite golfers and then you had Tiger in his own category... I remember there were times when you could place bets on Tiger Vs the field in certain tournaments. At this point in his career I see him as someone who will still contend for many years to come but I just don't think he'll ever be able to dominate the way he used to.

I'm wondering when karma will let Tiger off the hook.

I mean, hitting the flagstick at the Masters when he's about to take over that tournament?

Karma has it in for dear Tiger. If Karma doesn't turn Tiger into a mental midget, he will get his 19.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm an unabashed "anyone but Tiger" guy, but he could VERY easily have 2 majors this year, to go with his 4 other wins. No change for me.....he gets 19+. . . . . . . Sadly. :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm very close to being an "if Tiger ain't playing I ain't watching" guy (wish I wasn't but I am), but if I had to make a prediction I would say he falls short.

But, I would have said the same thing before this week, and even before "the incident".

Winning is tough and all it takes is for one guy out of the field to have a career week to knock everybody else out.

I'm sure he has more major wins in him. It would be crazy to say he definitely won't win another one...

BUT...

He's not the blow-the-field-away-win-by-12-shots Tiger anymore. Yeah, he's been right there numerous times lately, but have ya noticed he just hasn't finished any of them off? How many times do we see that 'Tiger has never won a major when not leading going into the final round' stat?

Clearly a great player with lots of years left in his career. But he's not a come from behind player, at least in the majors. He just isn't. The record proves. He wins them, or at least he did, by seizing the tournament by the throat early & lapping the field (Yes I am aware he won the 05 Masters & 08 US Open in a playoff but they were more the exception than the norm). And I don't think that player exists anymore - the gap between him & the rest of the players is much smaller now than it once was.

So sure, he could still get to 19 majors. But they're gonna have to be grind-fests; and he has to learn how to win from behind.

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

I'm wondering when karma will let Tiger off the hook.

I mean, hitting the flagstick at the Masters when he's about to take over that tournament?

Karma has it in for dear Tiger. If Karma doesn't turn Tiger into a mental midget, he will get his 19.

19 is a long ways from 14... He needs to stop making excuses and dig deeper.  He seems like if something doesn't go his way on Sat/Sun in the majors, then he just packs his bags and coast into the finish.  I dunno... Just an observation.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

- the gap between him & the rest of the players is much smaller now than it once was.

I really agree with this comment.  Tiger set the standard for Pro golf in terms of fitness and style of play 15 years ago.  And here we are 15 years later, it's become the norm.  Now every Tom, Dick and Harry puts energy into their swing, body, mind, etc... They're all around athletes.

In this time, not only has mechanics of the swing been refined by Trackman and Flightscope usage on tour, but the technology these OEM's are pumping out and putting into these athletes hands is much improved.  10 years ago, people weren't hitting 302+yd 3W's from the fairway... Today those type of shots are possible (especially on baked out fairways).  So you can attack a courses like Murfield, and if you pull off the shot(s) as Phil did... You can see a quick lead change in the leaderboard like we did on Sunday.

More and more guys are golf ready now... So it makes Tigers chances at winning 19 that much more difficult.  He can't just hit fairways and greens and plot his way around the course and expect to win.

And as you stated, he's going to have a lot of grind fest to win these majors.  Schwartzel did what Phil did in the Masters back in 2011... Going on a birdie barrage on the back 9 on Sunday.  I think you'll see more and more of these type of finishes as these guys go all out to win.

Doesn't it seem like last year he would have 2 good days. Now this year it's more like 3. Maybe next year or at the pga he can put together all 4 days. Besides I feel like if anyone can get one in his 50's its him.

My confidence is about the same. I think he will definately win a few more majors but im not sure how many. In a perfect world I want Jack and Tiger to tie.

Originally Posted by UpDown

In a perfect world I want Jack and Tiger to tie.

That would make for some interesting debates.

Tyler Martin

Originally Posted by UpDown

My confidence is about the same. I think he will definately win a few more majors but im not sure how many. In a perfect world I want Jack and Tiger to tie.

This post has been reported to the FBI.

The dudes consistency is far superior to any current player. He hangs around the lead on too many leader boards to not eventually win more majors. It comes down to a matter of desire more than anything IMO. Jack didnt win less in his later career due to an eroding skillet as much as it was outside interests and playing in far fewer events. As long as Tiger maintains his desire and will to win, I think he'll get there...eventually.

That's kinda how I see it infamous. He could in theory win into his 50's if he holds up physically.

At 37 years old lets give Tiger another 15 years at being competitive enough to win a major. That's another 60 majors - he needs 4 more to tie Nicklaus. I would guess he breaks Jack's record.

While i like to kick the hornets nest... i do not think he gets to Jack's record..

years ago, he was at a level a step or two above everyone else in the PGA..   Now he's just another top 20 player...  The "field" has gotten better and caught up to him and some has passed him..

It is what it is

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!