IGNORED

How many of you golf with your significant other and how did they progress?

Spyder
Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I recently started noticing that my wife is becoming more interested in golf, which for me was nearly a heart attack moment. She was always laughing at golf and saying there is no way in hell she would ever play. She used to change the channel on me every time I would get up and walk away. However, this past weekend, she actually watched The Open Championship with me and was rooting on Tiger and asking a lot of questions. Things like, "Why is he doing that drop thing?", "Who is in the lead now?", "How does he get the ball to stop like that by the hole?", "Does that guy suck at putting? Why did his ball go in the bunker? (that was a laugh-out-loud at Rory moment)", etc.

We stopped at golf galaxy the other day though and I caught her out of the corner of my eye holding and swinging a club. She caught me looking and laughed and said "Like this?" and proceeded to waggle, waggle, waggle and then swing in the middle of the store. We laughed it off and were on our way after I picked up what I needed.

In the car on the way to dinner and at dinner, I asked if she would consider trying to play the game. She actually said yes and I told her it would be a great way for us to spend more time together. As our son gets older, it would also be a fun family activity as well since he will more than likely catch the golf bug at a young age (with some help from dad, of course).

My question to you is, do you play with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend? How did you get them into the game? Did you pressure them into trying it out, or did they express interest willfully? Did it turn out to be a bad investment and you now have a set of ladies clubs sitting in your garage with hundreds of dollars in golf-specific apparel and equipment that is not being used? Or, did you gain a new playing partner out of the deal?

My goal is not to have my wife swinging like Natalie or Paula, but to ensure that she takes the game somewhat serious in terms of actually trying and attempting to improve so that she has fun.

I will be buying her a nice set of clubs this week to at least allow her the opportunity to try the game out with me. I told her that I can find some decent beginner clubs for $100-200 and if she enjoys the game after this season is over, we'll build her a set in the off-season and move forward.

I would just like to hear how many of you went through this and if your other half still enjoys the game and plays with you on a regular basis.

My wife plays with my son and I anytime we are not in a serious game. She started playing when it became apparent that if she wanted to spend time with our son and I she would have to start playing since we were on the course from daylight to dark most of the time.

She can't hit the ball far enough to reach very many greens in regulation but she's a natural at bump and runs and putting so she makes a handful of pars a round and doesn't have too many holes over bogey. That allows her to play at a good pace so it's not a hindrance for her to play with us.

I'm pretty sure she would have given up the game long ago if my son had not bought her a set of clubs that were all hybrids, even the sand wedge. It's just hard to really mess up a shot very badly with those clubs and it allowed her to have some decent success quickly.

(At least enough to get around the course respectably).

with me getting back into golf I have been hinting around at my wife starting to play and she has shown a little interest. we were on a 1 day trip this last Saturday to Branson where I was headed to pick my clubs I bought upwind we stopped at bass pro in Springfeild. and they have a really good selection of golf stuff and I was looking at some of the bags and my wife said to me " if I start playing ill have to have a nice pair of shoes" leave it to my wife to go for the shoes first lol

At age 47,  my wife and I started golf at the same time.  We took same golf clinics - 8 x 1 hour session over two months.  We loved it immediately.   She stuck to the instructions, but I experimented like crazy.   She barely practiced but I practiced 3 - 5 days a week.  She was not an athlete but I excelled in all kind of sports.  Despite all of what I just mentioned, she can beat me occasionally on 9 hole executive courses.  That's b/c she is deadly accurate.  On a longer 18 hole courses, sometimes, she will be the only one hitting 3 or 4 GIRs on all par 3s holes.  She rarely OBs or loses a ball.    We have been playing 2 - 3 times a week for about 4 years now and life is good.

The only drawback is, for the number of times we play golf (two players x 100 times a year, including 9 hole rounds), we have to find cheap ways to play golf.   We do so by playing (super)twilight tee times, playing at cheaper public courses, joining monthly-all-you-can-play membership, scouring golf discount sites, etc..   Occasionally, we will pick a fancy course to play to reward ourselves.    Add all the golf equipment we go through (gloves, grips - I install my own, new clubs, ...), and all the restaurant food we eat after a round, golf is a significant part of our overall budget.   But you only live once and there may not be golf in afterlife.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When my wife and I first got married, I was playing golf Saturday/Sunday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday every week during spring/summer/fall and she knew it.  She told me she would like to learn to play golf so we could spend more time together.  I had an old set of ladies clubs and a set of men's regular shafted irons that I kept just in case someone visiting wanted to play.  We went to the range and she like the regular shafted mens clubs better so I bought her a new set of mens clubs.

The deal was, I would go to the range with her and when she could hit middle and low irons off the ground and get the ball in the air with some authority, hit tee shots with a wood in the air with some consistency...then we would go out on the golf course.  We played our first round about 3 weeks later.

She never got any better than about a 25 handicap but she was a consistent 25.  We played in a lot of couples tournaments and we did very well together.  She and I did well in modified alternate shot tournaments mostly because I would play her tee shot instead of her having to hit mine.  If she had a decent tee shot, most times I could get on the green and she was a pretty good putter.  Those were a lot of fun.

We played golf together right up to the time when she got pregnant with our son.  He is now 17 years old and she has played golf a total of 3 times since he was born.  About a year after he was born, her job moved out of town and she flew from Houston to Chicago every Monday and then flew back on Friday nights.  That lasted for 12 years.  We live in a golf course community but she just has no interest in playing.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

My wife plays occasionally, but prefers to play with friends in a quick 9 holes after work.  Not serious at all, but loves the social component.

When we first met, she expressed interest in learning the game.  I told her that I'd happily play with her, would help her find clubs and would find her an instructor, but I would NOT teach her the game.  I firmly believe that there are two things you should never try to teach your significant other if you want to retain a good relationship......how to drive a car, or how to play golf.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

My wife plays occasionally, but prefers to play with friends in a quick 9 holes after work.  Not serious at all, but loves the social component.

When we first met, she expressed interest in learning the game.  I told her that I'd happily play with her, would help her find clubs and would find her an instructor, but I would NOT teach her the game.  I firmly believe that there are two things you should never try to teach your significant other if you want to retain a good relationship......how to drive a car, or how to play golf.

Ha, you and I are on the same page then.

I'll give her some pointers and assist in the very basics since she's never actually hit a golf ball with a golf club before. Aside from that, she told me "it's not like I want to be Tiger Woods or anything... just help me hit the damn pink ball! Did I tell you I want pink balls, pink clubs, a pink shirt and neon pink shoes?". At that point, I zoned out and my knees started to give out just counting dollars

I don't see myself ever doing so unless they aren't a complete hack. I'm a very competitive do-it-yourself person, so it wouldn't go well if they were just terrible. Plus, I hate slow play.

I took my wife out once a couple years ago. She hit middle irons straight and I think she had fun but we haven't gone out since. Lately she has expressed interest, as stated earlier in the thread, I think it's moreso to spend time together rather than really learn the game. I guess I just don't want it to turn into this:

• Upvote 1

Originally Posted by McMullenCPA

I took my wife out once a couple years ago. She hit middle irons straight and I think she had fun but we haven't gone out since. Lately she has expressed interest, as stated earlier in the thread, I think it's moreso to spend time together rather than really learn the game. I guess I just don't want it to turn into this:

LOL. "This is my hell!". That is hilarious.

Spyder that's great to hear.  Mine became interested in the golf store because of a "really cute golf skirt - it's on sale."  Got her a set of Lynx that ran around $150 and she got some clothes about a week later.  She loves it and is progressing nicely.  I don't think I will be putting her a nice set together any time in the near future though.

It is frustrating sometimes to try to help her with her game for myself -  but she doesn't get frazzled.  She knows she is a beginner and appreciates the time we spend on the range.  Last time we went was very easygoing because I realize she will duff 99% of the shots, so I just ignore the bad and praise the good.

At times she likes to caddy during a round and I will explain to her what I'm doing and how I manage a course.  She will jump out of the cart once I park at the green and chip her ball up and putt with me.

Excerpt from the first round:

Me: "Ok so my first stroke was a drive down the middle and now I have 155 to the green.  This is a par 4, so I'm choosing a 7 iron to put the ball in the middle of the green for a "green in regulation" which means 2nd shot hits the green on a par 4.  Then, 2 putts will make an ever par for the hole, which is good."

*7 iron rolls off the green into a bunker*

Her: "So is that a bunker in regulation?  Is that what you were trying to do? Can you still make par?"

Me:

My wife has been playing for about four years although not much this year due to an elbow injury.  We play with another couple and some other women.  She is not serious about it, but just has fun.  She will let me coach her.  We actually have received compliments from people at ranges on how well we work together considering our relationship.  The trick is to keep it simple and really work on one thing at a time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

You guys are missing out playing with your wives. I play during the week with the boys and then every weekend we play together 36 holes a day. I for one love it and don't understand why you wouldn't want to play with your wife. Looking at some of the comments about how your going to show her some things and if she gets it then you will take her out to the course????? Wow. And those are 12-18 HC showing your wife?  I'm sure you are not the ones to be showing them anything at that HC level. I'm a lower HC than most and I wouldn't ever think about telling my wife what she's doing wrong as I can play, but I'm the last one to give her lessons. Leave that to the instructors ( it will help to not get her upset with you). BTW, she plays to a 7 and with no help from me.

Originally Posted by David in FL

Well, I already taught my wife to drive a stick shift, and have just started teaching her to play golf.  Hope that works out as well!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

My wife will not listen to me (not anymore ) on how/what to do when it comes to golf.   I think that is why she is a decent player .    She claims she learns things by playing, and watching the golf channel.

I've seen men coaching/instructing their wives in range & field.   Only a few does a good job but most don't.   For your relationship sake, just send her to a golf clinic.   It can save your marriage and you can thank (or curse) me later .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Originally Posted by rkim291968

My wife will not listen to me (not anymore ) on how/what to do when it comes to golf.   I think that is why she is a decent player .    She claims she learns things by playing, and watching the golf channel.

I've seen men coaching/instructing their wives in range & field.   Only a few does a good job but most don't.   For your relationship sake, just send her to a golf clinic.   It can save your marriage and you can thank (or curse) me later  .

My regular playing partner had a wife that wouldn't listen to him no matter what he said (and she would tell him to "shut up, I don't want to hear it").

He usually couldn't help himself and if he saw her doing something stupid he would point it out, and she would ignore the advice. Funny thing was that she took lessons from a golf pro and she would always proudly proclaim what her golf pro had taught her that day. Nine times out of ten it would be the same thing her husband had been telling her for weeks. Her husband would just look at me and shake his head and shrug his shoulders.

Originally Posted by MS256

My regular playing partner had a wife that wouldn't listen to him no matter what he said (and she would tell him to "shut up, I don't want to hear it").

He usually couldn't help himself and if he saw her doing something stupid he would point it out, and she would ignore the advice. Funny thing was that she took lessons from a golf pro and she would always proudly proclaim what her golf pro had taught her that day. Nine times out of ten it would be the same thing her husband had been telling her for weeks. Her husband would just look at me and shake his head and shrug his shoulders.

Agree with this.  Mine is very accepting of advice I give her and I only give it if she asks.  It is always something really simple, like watch your club hit the ball, keep your left arm straight, swing around your body, don't sway backwards tremendously with your club, etc.  If she gets to the point where I have run out of "beginner" advice, more power to her!!

I'm not sure about the guys who responded saying that they wouldn't take their girlfriend/wife on the course if they're a "hack", or people who use golf as a getaway from their wives. I'm not sure if that stems back to the thought that "she belongs at home with the kids while I spend man time with men" thinking or what the hell that was all about... awkward. Regardless, sounds like marital problems that should be resolved asap lol.

I think it has to do with how your relationship is off the course. If you can joke and laugh at yourself and one another, you can probably give some advice and help on the game without being overbearing and annoying to them. Teaching your wife how to play golf shouldn't be grueling or hard like an old school father teaching their son all about football. You work on a few things at a time and relax and use positive reinforcement and a lot of visual examples. You can't sit there like Chubbs reading a magazine and just critique without demonstrating. At least, that's how I feel because I was always a visual learner myself.

Anyway, I'm actually heading to Golf Galaxy today to pick her up a full set so I can get to the range this weekend and see what she can do. It'll be her first time ever hitting a ball so it's going to be hilarious I'm sure. I worked out a deal with a manager on a set of Pings that were traded in. Her WTF measurement is 29.5", so I definitely think an inch or so will most likely need to be taken off of the clubs. She's really, really short lol.

Note: This thread is 3893 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!