IGNORED

David Duval number 1 1999 revisited

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 3927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just happened to be watching Feherty's interview with Double D.  His win in 1999 on same day as his father's win on the senior PGA tour was of interest to me in that I noted he was using the old Titleist 975 or 976 driver with the "cat in the hat" head cover. I was working for Titleist at that time, when Duvall, DL III and another player whose name I can not recall at the moment, were the names on Scotty Cameron's Putters.  David has dropped significantly since then.  Feherty said from number 1 in the world to number 1500. He took the title from Tiger. David admittedly said that he was "proud" of that accomplishment.

Another thing that interested me was the fact that the 975/976 titanium drivers more or less replaced the Howitzer which in my opinion was  one of the ugliest drivers Titleist ever produced. All of these drivers may be found at thrift shops and veterans stores for under $5.00 every once in awhile.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Hacker James

Just happened to be watching Feherty's interview with Double D.  His win in 1999 on same day as his father's win on the senior PGA tour was of interest to me in that I noted he was using the old Titleist 975 or 976 driver with the "cat in the hat" head cover. I was working for Titleist at that time, when Duvall, DL III and another player whose name I can not recall at the moment, were the names on Scotty Cameron's Putters.  David has dropped significantly since then.  Feherty said from number 1 in the world to number 1500. He took the title from Tiger. David admittedly said that he was "proud" of that accomplishment.

Another thing that interested me was the fact that the 975/976 titanium drivers more or less replaced the Howitzer which in my opinion was  one of the ugliest drivers Titleist ever produced. All of these drivers may be found at thrift shops and veterans stores for under $5.00 every once in awhile.

I saw that as well. I always liked Duval, although he was a bit of an odd guy. He took a lot of heat for suggesting that the Ryder Cup was an exhibition, since they weren't getting paid.

I thought it was interesting that, when he shot a 59 on a Sunday to win a PGA event, he didn't make a single putt over 10 feet. Unbelievable shotmaking.

Bill M

Yes, the 975D driver, a classic, a great club. Put an EI-80 golf shaft in that thing, and man it was a work horse, great trajectory.

Sad to see the guy loose his swing like that. He was one of the most prolific ball strikers during those 3-4 years. His swing was just repeatable, over and over again.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Also watched Feherty last night, DD seems like a nice guy. I was getting away from golf back then so I really didn't see him in his prime. Hope he can put it back together.

Dave :-)

It is always interesting to listen to some their personal lives and try to get a feel on what motivates the player.   Obviously, the family motivates DD.    Good show.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Originally Posted by saevel25

Yes, the 975D driver, a classic, a great club. Put an EI-80 golf shaft in that thing, and man it was a work horse, great trajectory.

Still got my old 975D driver, 9.5 degree loft...and the cat in the hat cover. That was the shizz in 1996.

Really enjoyed Fehertys interview with Duval. Opened my eyes about what he's gone thru.

:titleist: 913 D2 w/ Oban Kiyoshi Purple :ping: G25 3 Wood w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-DJ6 :titleist: 913H 21* w/ Diamana Blue :ping: G25 4 - PW :vokey: SM4 Oil Can - 52, 56, 60 :cameron: Studio Select Newport 2 :golflogix: :bushnell: Tour V3

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Still got my old 975D driver, 9.5 degree loft...and the cat in the hat cover. That was the shizz in 1996.

I think I sold mine for $35 back in the early 2000s. I kept the Odyssey Rossie 2 bronzed putter that Faldo popularized!

Duval was a stud in his time playing the Titleist DCIs. The DCIs were the answer to TA's 845s. They proved to be a good answer!

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I think I sold mine for $35 back in the early 2000s. I kept the Odyssey Rossie 2 bronzed putter that Faldo popularized!

Duval was a stud in his time playing the Titleist DCIs. The DCIs were the answer to TA's 845s. They proved to be a good answer!

975D and DCI blacks.  Great setup that I played for years......

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Originally Posted by David in FL

They were a staple for many years.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Originally Posted by David in FL

"Ditto"  But I think my driver was the 976R. DCI Blacks I had outfitted with Rifle shafts. Titleist then came out with the oversize+ black and gold. I did not like them near as well as the DCI blacks  862?  (I forgot). They used to have the DTR's which were mediocre to say the least

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I used to love watching Duval back in the day, actually the first golfer I considered my favorite (I was in my early teens during his prime). I missed the Feherty interview though...I'll have to see if I can find it online and see what I missed.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

some of my longest drives were with that driver.  that sweet spot was like butter.

Originally Posted by Hacker James

"Ditto"  But I think my driver was the 976R. DCI Blacks I had outfitted with Rifle shafts. Titleist then came out with the oversize+ black and gold. I did not like them near as well as the DCI blacks  862?  (I forgot). They used to have the DTR's which were mediocre to say the least

i think they were the 962 DCI.  if i remember right, i had that set in high school.  my dad still plays with them.  i could launch those bad boys.

Originally Posted by 460CompMark

some of my longest drives were with that driver.  that sweet spot was like butter.

not to exhaust this thread, but with those drivers performing as they did, people still seem to want the latest and for some reason or other, I read a lot more on how the older drivers performed than I do about the newer ones. Taylor Made is a good example, they seem to come out with something numerous times per year.  I remember several years ago, the TM irons with built in "trampoline" effect were the rage. Now they have the "slotted" irons and fairway woods. Marketing I suppose. Whatever, it seems to work for them.

"James"

i liked the older titanium drivers.  the ones where when you hit it dead center, you didn't feel it and there was some muscle behind it.  now it feels like everything is hollow and sounds like a metal baseball bat.  i still play with my 8 year old Cleveland Launcher Comp.  i've tried the latest drivers, but i don't like them.  they are trying to do too much with 460 cc.

Note: This thread is 3927 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!