IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 hours ago, iacas said:

P.S. I could beat Tom Brady, though

That’s would not be difficult from what we saw!😜

Mine is down to 12.4. Starting to find more fairways off the tee, which helps. Ranges opened Monday, so now I can work on start direction and ball flight to feed back to my Evolvr instructor.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 1 month later...

Spent most of the season hovering between 12.0-12.6, but after a good round on Sunday, I'm down to 11.4.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...

I took my handicap off my profile. 

I have simply not played enough golf.

Through September/October of 2018 my handicap was accurate. I played a lot of golf last year, but a lot of times it was only nine; A lot of times it was alone. I played in a bunch of scrambles and even a tournament. I still kept a handicap with my Arccos and it was probably pretty okay. This year has been terrible so far. I've only played one round of 18. 

So, right now I'm really not exactly sure what my handicap is. I thought it better to take it down. 

I want to keep a handicap, but I need to get back to regular play. Believe me, I'm itching to get out there. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

My index is dropping like a stone. In the last two weeks my index has gone from 14.5 to 9.9.

image.thumb.png.991a19de5e6de1156a3da1b2cfbe7bcf.png

I broke 80 (+5 76) for the first time which triggered an ESR and then followed that up with with a +6 77 on a much longer and more difficult course. My differentials have been hovering between 5 and 8 for the last few rounds I have shot and the 12 - 14 differentials are getting replaced rapidly.

I must say... It feels good to be a single digit handicap especially since I was in the 30s in 2018.

3 hours ago, Sean_D said:

I must say... It feels good to be a single digit handicap especially since I was in the 30s in 2018.

Excellent! :beer:

What did you do to make things change that drastically that quickly? Take some lessons, more focused practice, more experience on a few tracks you play a lot?... Inquiring minds want to know! 

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

8 minutes ago, sjduffers said:

Excellent! :beer:

What did you do to make things change that drastically that quickly? Take some lessons, more focused practice, more experience on a few tracks you play a lot?... Inquiring minds want to know! 

Lots of hard work. Lessons, practice, data analysis, and determination. My most recent score, 77, was shot on a course I have only played 3-4 times and from a set of tees I have never played. There is really no secret sauce. Know the distance each club goes, minimize the misses, recover from bad shots with minimal damage. I wish I had a secret tip to give everyone, but alas it all came down to practicing a lot, learning everything I can, and then practicing those things I am not very good at. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds good. I thought maybe you had found a magic bullet as that is a pretty good improvement over a period of 2 years or so. My journey was "a tad" slower, let's say.  Congrats! :dance::beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

In just a couple of months, I’ve managed to get my handicap down a few strokes to 14.2! That’s the lowest my handicap had ever been. I suppose that my recent scores of 83 and 80 knocked that number down a bunch. I’m using the USGA GHIN app, so I’m gonna update the HI in my profile whenever I get an update from the app.

Edited by dagolfer18
  • Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Yes, my handicap is current and accurate. (It should stay that way until the next round, 😁 )

This is the 2nd year I have kept track of my handicap. 

I quit playing golf in 1975 and then took it up again 3 years ago. The first year after taking it up again, 2018, I played a small 9 hole course with sand greens. I got to where I could shoot par on that course. I still play it some but mainly stay away from sand greens. 

My boss, at my part time job, started taking me to Hays, Kansas where it is a very well kept course. 

From there I expanded out to other courses with grass greens, updated my clubs, and started getting serious about shooting better golf scores. 

However, in playing tournaments, it seems it is always a scramble or scratch golf. In 2 years I have yet to use my handicap for play placement or anything else other than to know what my handicap is. 

I have been wondering if I could get to a 10 handicap at 73 years old. I have been as low as 17 and it seems like that I may be stuck around that for awhile. 

So, I mainly keep it for personal reference and a little bragging rights. I still mainly play the white tees as the person I play with just turned 60. When I do play the red or senior tees, I find the course to be a little more easy to play. (Especially when getting on the green in regulation)

I love the game, and I really don't play to much for competition except to beat and improve my score. 

I mainly try and play "Bogey" golf. 

I am not sure I will renew my GHIN next year. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Mine is accurate based on the eight rounds I have played this year.  I am using an online calculator to determine my handicap, and I am down to 21.7.  I will continue to update as I play more rounds.

I am playing much better from tee to green, and my short game is beginning to come around.

Edited by bwdial

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

On 7/25/2013 at 2:13 PM, David in FL said:

We seem to have a lot of posters who don't maintain a real handicap.  I'm curious as to why.....  I'm not talking about the guy that just started golf this year, or someone like Fourputt who's on something of a forced sabbatical, but rather the guys who play when they can and are serious/interested enough in the game to actually spend time on this forum.

While the purpose of a handicap is to allow for golfers of differing abilities to compete against each other on a relatively level playing field, for those of us interested in improving our game (everyone on this forum presumably) it also provides a method by which we can track our progress.  Additionally, advice provided on the forum is often customized for the specific individual and an accurate handicap can provide some useful insight as to the perspective of someone seeking advice.....

Having said that, a couple of questions.

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current .....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions?

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation?

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not?

-  If it's not correct and official, do you know how a handicap is actually calculated?  How are you calculating yours?

Just to start....  Probably no surprise since I started the thread, but mine is correct, official, and current.  I try to remember to update with each revision if there's a change.  Unfortunately, it went up .2 on the 15th. sad.png

Mine is from 15 years ago. I was off golf for 12 years and started playing this year again. Played 30+ rounds this year but don´t bothered registering one. Handicap is not what makes me play golf though I don´t do any competitions so I don´t need it. But it´s fairly accurate I am hunting pars and bogeys and I can still play on it though I can feel the years not helping. 

I feel if my primarily goal was as low handicap as possible I would have to sacrifice a lot of fun. For once I would have to pay less because fatigue is affecting my ball striking with numb back making it hard to rotate and numb wrists making me loose feel apart from the occasional dead legs the last 4 holes and the mental fatigue from a tired body. I would also spend less time on the course and more on the putting green and chipping I know often warm up as I go. 

As for official it´s easy. Need a witness golf id to register a round for handicap then send it in and they do the calculations for me. I do believe I remember though as a 17.1 handicapper I have 2 extra strokes on the hardest hole according to the 57 tee here right?

I just found out about the hard and soft caps. Looks like your handicap as it rises to 3 points in a season it gets the soft cap, which means it can only increase 50% of what it would be in the straight calculation. Then when you get to a 5 point increase it will no longer rise.

I played 70 rounds last year with a great group where money was on the line and got my index to a 5.4. Flirted with having sub par rounds twice before I choked. I moved to a new city with a shorter golf season, joined a club that is much different topography and grass type. I may get in 35 rounds if I am lucky. Only broke 80 once and just hit the soft cap limit at 8.4 hi. My calc shows I should be at 9.5 right now.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated after yesterday's round; 21.1.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

I  have enough rounds to get to 4.5. Lets see what this month brings. I feel like I am on the cusp of going sub 4 if I can eliminate a couple loose shots. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

My index is from last year. After a bit of statistical analysis, I decided, with input from a pro, that I couldn’t get any lower than 8 without a major swing rebuild. No guarantees, of course, but I am hopeful. I’ve only been playing 9 or fewer (walking) for the last few months to keep the short game in hand. I expect my HCP to shoot up when I restart next week ... but maybe not. I really like the consistent strike and distance I’m getting with the new approach. 

• 1 month later...

Up to 14.8.

Wasn't been able to buy a drive in my return since my 4 month layoff (Feb-May). Bit a light at the end of the tunnel last couple of weeks though. 

Vishal S.

• Administrator

W-I-D-T-H

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1175 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!