IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meltdwhiskey

I think I'm starting to see the light.  Y'all hit a long ball that seems to sometimes get you in trouble but also results in a bunch of pars.  I play the exact opposite.  I don't even carry a driver.  Almost all of my holes are:

1. Tee to fairway

2. Fairway to chipping distance

3. Chip on to green

4. 2 putt

I hit a decent amount of 4-irons off the tee (and I wish that meant 220 like Spyder), mostly hybrids - and if it is wide open, I'll pull out the big dog (which is a 3-wood.  You'd probably call it the small dog. Ha!).  I had to take driver out of the bag because I wanted to find a way to get the score down.  But more than anything, I found that mentally it really messed with my game to start off so many holes at a deficit - that is to say in the woods or some kind of trouble.  It became demoralizing, it affected my play on other parts of the course, and I was trying a lot of 'miracle' shots to try to get it back - which of course just made things worse.

3-wood has been going pretty well for me lately though. I promised myself that when it got really consistent, I'd start practicing driver again.  It is just about time to start. I'll look forward to being able to use it again.

Yeah, I'm gonna try to explore this strategy. Keep the driver in the bag unless it's a par 5, or long par 4 without a ton of trouble.

If it's wide open on one side. I'll whack away, because worst case I'm just in the rough...but if it's tight with OB on both sides, I'm gonna hit my 2 iron hybrid.

This thread has veered a bit, maybe it's best we start a thread for general course management discussion.

Now, back to forum handicaps! Mine is updated for the last 8 rounds I've played (I've only played 8 this year).

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by geauxforbroke

This thread has veered a bit, maybe it's best we start a thread for general course management discussion.

Now, back to forum handicaps! Mine is updated for the last 8 rounds I've played (I've only played 8 this year).

You don't observe an "off" season in TX, do you?  Your scores from last year carry through and should be included in your index, aren't they?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Fair enough. I've updated my "unofficial" handicap index to 15. That's what Erik estimated it at, and based on my recent scoring and calculators it seems about right. I'll take it considering I've been around a 25-30 the past 5 years.

Now the battle for single digits...

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by David in FL

Quote:

You don't observe an "off" season in TX, do you?  Your scores from last year carry through and should be included in your index, aren't they?

Unfortunately, work makes it practically impossible to play golf between the months of October and May, so I'm forced into an "off" season if you will. I don't include my scores from last year simply because I didn't keep a record of them. I've started a spreadsheet now so I can keep a running handicap, even if it's not official.

Tyler Martin

Unfortunately, work makes it practically impossible to play golf between the months of October and May, so I'm forced into an "off" season if you will. I don't include my scores from last year simply because I didn't keep a record of them. I've started a spreadsheet now so I can keep a running handicap, even if it's not official.

Got it.

FWIW, for handicap purposes, scores run continuously, without regard to the calendar year.  Scores from last year will combine with those from this year and so on moving forward.  You're obviously a pretty serious golfer, why not just drop the $25 or so and establish an official hcp and be done with it?

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by Slice of Life

Fair enough. I've updated my "unofficial" handicap index to 15. That's what Erik estimated it at, and based on my recent scoring and calculators it seems about right. I'll take it considering I've been around a 25-30 the past 5 years.

Now the battle for single digits...

Given the movement you've made in the last couple of months I wouldn't be surprised to see you there sooner than you might think!

In David's bag....

Got it.

FWIW, for handicap purposes, scores run continuously, without regard to the calendar year.  Scores from last year will combine with those from this year and so on moving forward.  You're obviously a pretty serious golfer, why not just drop the $25 or so and establish an official hcp and be done with it?

You've asked this several times in this thread to several people, but I don't get it.

I'd ask the opposite question...if you're not going to play in tournaments that require it, why would you pay the money to keep an official handicap? What is the point, when you can figure it on your own and serve the same purpose?

Given the movement you've made in the last couple of months I wouldn't be surprised to see you there sooner than you might think!

Thanks, I think so too. I can rattle off some great golf...just gotta stay out of trouble. The last couple of rounds I've played, I've had par streaks of 3+ in a row...if I can stay out of trouble, I'm fairly confident that with my short game, I'll hit a sub 80 round before the season is over if I play smart.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

My handicap is neither current nor official. I havent tracked any rounds this year as I really been focused on improving swing and strike, not scoring. If/when I do record rounds, I use a non-official site to calc. If/when I ever get to a point where I'm shooting decent scores, I'll certainly keep a more updated HC and start keeping an 'official' one, but until then, I'll just keep working to improve my game.

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

Originally Posted by Lash

You've asked this several times in this thread to several people, but I don't get it.

I'd ask the opposite question...if you're not going to play in tournaments that require it, why would you pay the money to keep an official handicap? What is the point, when you can figure it on your own and serve the same purpose?

Because doing it yourself isn't the same thing, in that it's not recognized by anyone else and isn't subject to the same independent, peer review control process.   Often, even those that "know how to do it themselves", don't do so correctly.  Geauxforbroke provides a simple example in that he's not including his previous year's scores in his current index.   The people on this forum tend to be pretty serious about the game.  If you're serious enough to be spending a significant amount of time on here in addition to the time you spend on the game itself, it seems silly to me not to break down and establish a handicap that's recognized by other serious players.   As to the money, if the $25 were that big of a deal to me, I probably wouldn't be playing a relatively expensive game like golf in the first place.

Does it bother me if someone "keeps their own handicap"?  Nope.  But it just isn't the same thing......and if, a year or two down the road, you do decide to take the plunge and play some competitive golf (and I really encourage everyone to do so, it's a BLAST) you'll be glad that you have that real handicap.

In David's bag....

Originally Posted by jefkve

My handicap is neither current nor official. I havent tracked any rounds this year as I really been focused on improving swing and strike, not scoring. If/when I do record rounds, I use a non-official site to calc. If/when I ever get to a point where I'm shooting decent scores, I'll certainly keep a more updated HC and start keeping an 'official' one, but until then, I'll just keep working to improve my game.

If you have an iPhone, download 'SHOTLY' from the App Store. It used to be Shotly/Executive Caddy. The app is free and offers on-course GPS and distance readings to green (front/center/back) and layup distances. The app also tracks GIR, FIR, Putts, Hazards, USGA Handicap (not official or recognized, but what it would be if you don't want to pay for a HC and you're wanting to know where you are at without doing manual math) and Handicap Trend.

Definitely worth checking out if you care to take the time to post your scores. I definitely do not encourage you to buy the Pro version for $20.00 though because the free version has everything you need with no advertisements or interruptions.

The most convenient part is that you can simply opt to post a score to your phone, rather than play the round through and keep track of strokes on your phone.

Quote:

Got it.

It's just a matter of signing up for it. I'm going to have to set one up soon so I have an established handicap before we go to Scotland in 2015. Muirfield requires an official handicap, and I'm sure there are others that do as well.

Tyler Martin

Because doing it yourself isn't the same thing, in that it's not recognized by anyone else and isn't subject to the same independent, peer review control process.   Often, even those that "know how to do it themselves", don't do so correctly.  Geauxforbroke provides a simple example in that he's not including his previous year's scores in his current index.   The people on this forum tend to be pretty serious about the game.  If you're serious enough to be spending a significant amount of time on here in addition to the time you spend on the game itself, it seems silly to me not to break down and establish a handicap that's recognized by other serious players.   As to the money, if the $25 were that big of a deal to me, I probably wouldn't be playing a relatively expensive game like golf in the first place.

Does it bother me if someone "keeps their own handicap"?  Nope.  But it just isn't the same thing......and if, a year or two down the road, you do decide to take the plunge and play some competitive golf (and I really encourage everyone to do so, it's a BLAST) you'll be glad that you have that real handicap.

That is a good point about eventually playing competitive golf, but I know that I won't be any time soon.

I don't worry about the peer review for me personally because my handicap doesn't affect anyone else. I might use it with a couple of friends eventually, but we don't usually play for money and if we did they know me well enough to know I am meticulous about it and wouldn't get any pleasure from winning with a false handicap.

For me, my handicap is simply a way to keep track of where I am at as a golfer while playing courses that vary in difficulty by a large margin. So I just don't see any reason to spend the money or time on setting up an official handicap.

Originally Posted by Spyder

If you have an iPhone, download 'SHOTLY' from the App Store. It used to be Shotly/Executive Caddy. The app is free and offers on-course GPS and distance readings to green (front/center/back) and layup distances. The app also tracks GIR, FIR, Putts, Hazards, USGA Handicap (not official or recognized, but what it would be if you don't want to pay for a HC and you're wanting to know where you are at without doing manual math) and Handicap Trend.

Definitely worth checking out if you care to take the time to post your scores. I definitely do not encourage you to buy the Pro version for $20.00 though because the free version has everything you need with no advertisements or interruptions.

The most convenient part is that you can simply opt to post a score to your phone, rather than play the round through and keep track of strokes on your phone.

I asked about this app in the Pro Shop forum but haven't seen a response.

What features does the shotly app offer only to paid subscribers? It seems interesting, but I have a free trial right now and can't find what features will go away once that is over. I use Golf Logix now and don't care to spend a round getting use to a new app if the features I like about it are not going to be there for free.

I asked about this app in the Pro Shop forum but haven't seen a response.

What features does the shotly app offer only to paid subscribers? It seems interesting, but I have a free trial right now and can't find what features will go away once that is over. I use Golf Logix now and don't care to spend a round getting use to a new app if the features I like about it are not going to be there for free.

I am not sure what the Pro edition offers as compared to the free version. Every time I open it, it tells me I have "7 days of complimentary PRO service". I'm not sure if I was grandfathered in, or if this is a bug, or if they even maintain the app anymore. I know it works perfectly fine and is accurate to +/-3 yards on average and I have never paid a dime to date lol. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Originally Posted by Spyder

If you have an iPhone...tl/dr

android user ;)

Thought about buying shotlink, but not quite there yet....

"If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf."

That is a good point about eventually playing competitive golf, but I know that I won't be any time soon.

I don't worry about the peer review for me personally because my handicap doesn't affect anyone else. I might use it with a couple of friends eventually, but we don't usually play for money and if we did they know me well enough to know I am meticulous about it and wouldn't get any pleasure from winning with a false handicap.

For me, my handicap is simply a way to keep track of where I am at as a golfer while playing courses that vary in difficulty by a large margin. So I just don't see any reason to spend the money or time on setting up an official handicap.

If you can join a league, I would.  It is competitive golf.  It gets you out every week, you meet a lot of people and you get used to competing.  If you feel you are  "not good" you will meet people in the same boat or better yet people who remember being in that boat who will help you if you want.  Pressure in golf is different.  You can be nervous going into a basketball game but after the game starts you are too busy to be nervous.  There is plenty of time in golf to listen to the voices in your head.  I guess foul shots give you time in basketball.  Could you imagine if the spectators heckled the putters like they do the people shooting free throws.....

I digress, I have kept a handicap for 4-5 years and it was painful in the beginning, I get that.  It still is painful sometimes but you definitely know when you are making progress and you know when you are stalled.

Good luck and enjoy.

By the way my league starts the first Wednesday the snow is melted and ends when it snows......I am just say'in.

I'm not sure how many people this would apply to, but for some it may be due to financial reasons they don't have an official handicap. This game is expensive though so I don't know if that's the case.

What is your opinion on a handicap established through something like Golf Logix? I know GolfLogix can compute your handicap, although I'm not sure its the same way it's done officially. Something I can probably test out after I leave work. It can't be used for tournaments (at least I assume it can't), but it is still computed by a 3rd party so it should be good enough for this forum where a lot of members don't have official handicaps.

Note: This thread is 1154 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!