IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by turtleback

Not to be pedantic (OK, maybe a little), but mean and median are quite different things.

And while we're at it mean and average are the same thing.

Butch

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

And while we're at it mean and average are the same thing.

Generally yes.  But not always, as mean implies a discrete set and average can apply to continuous functions.  (I.e., average speed is not a mean since you cannot add up the instant by instant speeds and divide by the number of instants)

Also you are using mean in the sense of arithmetic mean.  There is also a geometric mean and a harmonic mean and perhaps others, which are not what we mean by average

But we better stop before we get scolded about OT.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A Slope of 106 from the blue tees is a very easy golf course. One of the lowest slope numbers I've ever seen.

[quote name="Strandly" url="/t/68730/forum-profile-handicaps/360#post_891038"] I think you might be mistaken how slope rating works.  The lowest value is 55, the highest is 155.  113 is an average difficulty course.  I don't know if I would call half a dozen points off average difficulty "very easy". [/quote] I'm not mistaken about how slope works. In my short golfing career, I've played over 200 golf courses. The easiest I've ever stepped foot on is called the Stadium Golf Club in upstate NY. From the blue tees it's about 6300 yards. There is no OB. There is no water. And there are 3 sand traps, none of which are really in play. There are no forced carries or unusual mounding. It's by far the easiest golf course I've ever played. And it's slope is 113. Most of the courses I regularly play, are in the 6400-6500 range and their slope is around 130. I'm telling you for a fact that a course with a slope of 106 is easy. Very easy. On topic....my most recent revision, my index went up to 12.2. Last 4 revisions, 10.9, 11.1, 11.9, 12.2. I'm trending in the wrong direction, but it's basically my chipping and putting to blame. And, some of my best differentials from this summer are dropping out of my top 20.

Generally yes.  But not always, as mean implies a discrete set and average can apply to continuous functions.  (I.e., average speed is not a mean since you cannot add up the instant by instant speeds and divide by the number of instants)  Also you are using mean in the sense of arithmetic mean.  There is also a geometric mean and a harmonic mean and perhaps others, which are not what we mean by average But we better stop before we get scolded about OT.

Yes he can be mean.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Originally Posted by RandallT

Yes he can be mean.

*Ba dump tssss

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Originally Posted by turtleback

Generally yes.  But not always, as mean implies a discrete set and average can apply to continuous functions.  (I.e., average speed is not a mean since you cannot add up the instant by instant speeds and divide by the number of instants)

Also you are using mean in the sense of arithmetic mean.  There is also a geometric mean and a harmonic mean and perhaps others, which are not what we mean by average

But we better stop before we get scolded about OT.

Well I guess I thought we were talking about the average/mean slope of golf courses, which is an arithmetic average of a discrete set.  For whatever it's worth I already know about other means and am fairly well versed in mathematics. If you looked at my profile you'd see why.   But since you teach math I guess you can't help  yourself and since I used math all my life to make a living I can't either.  But probably no one on this thread cares about any of this so I'll retire to my golf game and worrying about why I am missing so many greens.

• Upvote 1

Butch

Is the USA handicap system very different from EU? What sometimes amazes me here is that some people really have awful swing but still manage a 10 handicap, but i guess thats whats called a vanity handicap. But maybe short game really does help alot with that. Im a 16 myself, what you would consider high, and would consider my shortgame average. I have yet to see someone who has an under 15 handicap with a dreadfull swing.

Is the USA handicap system very different from EU? What sometimes amazes me here is that some people really have awful swing but still manage a 10 handicap, but i guess thats whats called a vanity handicap. But maybe short game really does help alot with that. Im a 16 myself, what you would consider high, and would consider my shortgame average. I have yet to see someone who has an under 15 handicap with a dreadfull swing.

I can't really speak to the handicap system difference. However, there is no one and only way to strike a golf ball. There are certain swing motions and mechanics that we know will help you produce consistently better results. That being said, I have seen some "dreadful" looking swings that actually produce a nice ball flight. And if this person can consistently reproduce those results, they are going to have no problem maintaining a decent handicap.

Additionally, you are correct about a strong short game being able to overcome a poor long game. Just because someone's swing doesn't look pretty and they have a 10 handicap, does not mean they are a vanity capper.

In the Bag:
:titleist: 913 D3 - 9.5* - Diamana Stiff 62g
:mizuno: MP 64s 3-PW - DGS300
:cleveland: CG12 52* & 56*
:tmade: Rosa

Yeah thats sounds ok, but still. I guess im more of a "its not where you get, its how you got there" kinda guy. I might be shooting myself in the foot with that. But im getting there slowly though.

Still, i honestly have not seen a under 15 hcp with a dreadfull swing. I think that swing will always somehow also transcend into your short game and putting.

• 2 weeks later...
It's that time of month again...... 4.7. I need to pull my head outa my butt if I'm going to stay sub-5 on the 1st though. :~(

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Up 0.2.  Not a good month for me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

No changes here, I have not been able to play a round I could post in the last 15 days.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Mine is current and official. Keeping a handicap for me is a good way to keep track of my progress (was a 18 at beginning of year) and it shows you how your scores rank up on one course to another, an 80 at one course could be the same differential as an 85 somewhere else.

FT Optiforce 440 Diamana S+, Nike covert tour Kuro Kage, Mizuno MP54 4-PW, Vokey SM5 52 56 60, Odyssey White Ice #2

Sadly, mine is legit.

Nothing wrong with that!   Good buddy of mine had his first hole-in-one a year after we got him started playing.  He was a 32 hcp at the time.  Got his 2d one a year later.  Those are the only two that I've ever seen. The rat bastard........

Have fun and enjoy what the game gives you, no matter what the silly number is! :beer:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I need one more solid round...just came in at 4.1. So close to a sub four milestone! Bwahahaha.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!