IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I finally joined a golf club and am about to start turning in official scorecard.   I am on a major slump and recently went from 12 to 17 handicap (unofficial).   The way I am playing now, I am likely to turn in pretty bad scores to establish a high handicap index (> 17).   I am told that works in my favor for tournaments which I am not very convinced.

As for turning in a scorecard, is there well known format that one must follow?   Does someone has to attest it, date it, etc?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I finally joined a golf club and am about to start turning in official scorecard.   I am on a major slump and recently went from 12 to 17 handicap (unofficial).   The way I am playing now, I am likely to turn in pretty bad scores to establish a high handicap index (> 17).   I am told that works in my favor for tournaments which I am not very convinced.

As for turning in a scorecard, is there well known format that one must follow?   Does someone has to attest it, date it, etc?

Good for you!

Most private clubs will have specific requirements.....  Most will allow you to post the scores yourself, either at the clubhouse or on-line.  Some will also have you drop your scorecard into a box that will allow for periodic and random review by the handicap committee.  Generally you do not have to have individual scores attested to.  Tournament scores will be.

If it's a non-private club, you just post at the clubhouse or on-line.  If your club uses the GHIN system, and if allowed by the club, you can post directly on-line using a smart phone and the GHIN mobile app.  Very convenient and quick.  I usually have my score in before I have my first post-round beer.

Please ensure you're versed in adjusting your score for (handicap posting purposes only) under Equitable Stroke Control.....it's a vital component to keeping an accurate, official handicap.

4-3. Equitable Stroke Control

All scores for handicap purposes, including tournament scores , are subject to the application of Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) . This mandatory procedure reduces high hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make handicaps more representative of a player's potential ability.

A handicap determined from scores to which ESC has not been applied may not be termed a Handicap Index .

ESC is used when a player's actual or most likely score exceeds a maximum number, based on the table below, for the player's Course Handicap from the tees played. (For nine-hole Equitable Stroke Control table, See Section 10-5c .)

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I haven't played much in the past year or so, so I changed mine to ?.? to reflect that.  Once I join a club and start playing regularly, I will maintain an accurate and current handicap.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

My club uses the GHIN system which allows you to enter them online.

We can post online, especialy away scores. But when posting a home score, we want the scorecard as well. Our handicap committee does a monthly random audit to see how people are keeping score with relation to ESC (plus, keeping tabs on suspects. This ain't the TSA, and we profile). And we want the overall data for when we re-assess our per-hole handicaps. We have done so much work on the course over the last 10 years that we probably need to update that soon. Some of the holes play significantly different.

Bill M

[COLOR=181818]Having said that, a couple of questions.[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current .....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions? Current (2.5)[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation?  Correct[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]-  How are you calculating yours? Maryland State Golf Association through my old Course Membership in MD, just moved to a different Country Club in VA but haven't changed over to VA State yet (GHIN), as my course is closed for renovations and didn't see the need to pay for a handicap when I have one currently.[/COLOR]

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Just updated mine, 16.7.

Had a look at my stats yesterday and I was a 24.0 handicap in August 2013.. 2 months later and I've lowered it by 7.3, very proud :-) .

As much as it pains me, it's that time again..... My 3 lowest rounds dropped off, and I've been in a funk for the last 2 weeks. Up to the highest my index has been in almost a year! Should drop next time, but for the next 15 days, I'm gonna get in the pockets of some of my buddies! ;-)

In David's bag....

Still at 8.4, as none of the scores I've shot since the last revision counted to my cap. I suck right now, but my handicap is stuck in neutral.

Bill M

12.7.  Did not play well the last couple of months.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

17.9 since establishing an official handicap through GHIN at start of October.   1st GHIN handicap index was a horrid 22.7 which was mainly due to my slump & switching to newer home course which is unforgiving.   Got out of the slump (thanks to chiropractics sessions which loosened my stiff neck and upper back) and got used to the course.  I've posted a few normal scores on 2nd half of October and it lowered my handicap to 17.9.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Finished at 13.7 with some strong scores after Labor Day. Can't post scores after 10/31 in MN but should get a few more rounds in before freeze up.

No movement......

The good news is I'm getting 3 from my buddy now.  That's gonna help ease the pain, but of course, I've paid for those 3 strokes over the past 30 days! :yucky:

In David's bag....

Got my GHIN# on 10/15 and my first official HI today is 24.3. High, for sure, but given this was my first summer back and my first round differential of the year was a 39.6 back in July (before I officially started posting scores for HI purposes) and I can live with it for now. Next year's goal will be to get it into the teens!
  • Upvote 1

Well, first post in this great forum is the day of the revision: 10.7 index... same as I ended up last year at this time, with the difference that I've been out for 4 months due to a back iunjury and only played April, May (hdcp went up to a 14.9) and October.

Last scores were in the low 80s so the trend to single digit for next year is there and very achievable!

Btw this was the last revision for posting scores in OH

Francesco Driver: :titleist: 910 D2 8.5* PX Tour 7C3 6.0 - Wood: :titleist: 910 F.d 15* PX Tour 8C4 6.0 - Hybrid: :titleist: 910H 19* PX Tour HD2 6.0 - Irons: :titleist: ZB Forged 4-PW S300 - Wedges: :vokey: 52*.08, 56*.11, 60*.04 - Putter: :titleist: Studio Select Newport 2 35" - Ball: :titleist: ProV1x - Bag: :titleist: Midsize Staff - :bushnell: Tour V2

Revision day!

And nothing has changed. Still 8.4, which will remain my handicap for our winter games because this is the last revision in our district until April 1. I'm in big trouble unless I can dodge the thieves.

Bill M

Revision day!

And nothing has changed. Still 8.4, which will remain my handicap for our winter games because this is the last revision in our district until April 1. I'm in big trouble unless I can dodge the thieves.

GHIN doesn't get updated even if you enter scores from warmer climate outside of your district?   Can you explain this?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!