IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My 4 past GHIN numbers are NH -> 22.7 -> 17.9 -> 19.2.    It is likely go down as I have seen signs of getting out of slump: neck/back issues nearly fixed, swing form back to normal, getting used to the new home course, and understanding all the score counting rules (I know now what to avoid).

15 days later, it has gone up to 19.6.  But, the good news is that I have my best round since I started posting official handicap scores.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Slid back up to 4.9, however I think I can continue my downward trend as long as I avoid injury like what happened last year.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I'm one of those guys who golfs a fair amount but I've never been interested in an official handicap. I don't honestly see the need; I don't enter tournaments and I don't gamble. I know what I typically shoot and getting that "official' number would only give me a reason to a) brag or b) have an inferiority complex. I don't want either, I play purely for fun. I know many people here won't get that but that is why I don't have a handicap.

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell

3/5 Wood: Adams Ovation

Irons: Cobra UFI

Putter: Titleist Dead Center, circa 1985

Can't post anymore scores in MA this year so it is frozen like the ground is.  We've had an usually cold couple of weeks.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Still stuck at 6......though I didn't play much these last 2 weeks.   I feel like I'm striking the ball better than I'm scoring.  We'll see what today brings.....

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm one of those guys who golfs a fair amount but I've never been interested in an official handicap. I don't honestly see the need; I don't enter tournaments and I don't gamble. I know what I typically shoot and getting that "official' number would only give me a reason to a) brag or b) have an inferiority complex. I don't want either, I play purely for fun. I know many people here won't get that but that is why I don't have a handicap.

I couldnt agree more.

I don't know who could disagree with this.  Golf is supposed to just be fun, just you and a little white ball that won't move and hardly ever goes exactly where you want it, not about handicaps ect.

Well you are bragging how you can enjoy golf with a handicap. Not having a cap is fine, you may not be ready to one because you don't play consistent enough or this reason. The four reasons have nothing to do with why people keep their handicap. A handicap for me is a way of keeping track of consistency and knowing subtle improvements in your game. Secondly a HC helps you stay focused in a round and keep putting effort into playing your best. Sure you can do your own thing about your game but it has made me a more consistent golfer because I know I am trying 110% every round. Instead of saying oh well, this round is dogged I will just smack it around the rest of the round. I have shot some really good back nines because I pulled up my pants and ground out a low score to supplement a sub par (see what I did there B-) ) front nine...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I don't know who could disagree with this.  Golf is supposed to just be fun, just you and a little white ball that won't move and hardly ever goes exactly where you want it, not about handicaps ect.

Most serious golfers will disagree with it.  Some of us like to compete against each other......and yep, we think that it's fun.  The Hcp system allows us to do that.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

[QUOTE]Originally Posted by jvalhalla I'm one of those guys who golfs a fair amount but I've never been interested in an official handicap. I don't honestly see the need; I don't enter tournaments and I don't gamble. I know what I typically shoot and getting that "official' number would only give me a reason to a) brag or b) have an inferiority complex. I don't want either, I play purely for fun. I know many people here won't get that but that is why I don't have a handicap. [/QUOTE] Ok, I get it you don't need a HC cause you don't bet or gamble. Hard for me to believe a guy doesn't want to know if he's getting better or worse with his game. Without a benchmark you have no idea if your game is progressing or in remiss. Without a HC you are just guessing You might as well subscribe to something like " no child left behind". Let's not tell Johnny he's not cutting the grade, let's just say he's trying and pass him. It's okay, he wanted to do well so let's pass him. I say your kidding yourself in golf as in life, if you don't know where your going you'll never know if you get there. Ever get a annual review at work? They don't give you a " well you tried so you get a raise". They tell you you improved or you didn't and you get a raise or you don't

Ok, I get it you don't need a HC cause you don't bet or gamble. Hard for me to believe a guy doesn't want to know if he's getting better or worse with his game. Without a benchmark you have no idea if your game is progressing or in remiss. Without a HC you are just guessing You might as well subscribe to something like " no child left behind". Let's not tell Johnny he's not cutting the grade, let's just say he's trying and pass him. It's okay, he wanted to do well so let's pass him. I say your kidding yourself in golf as in life, if you don't know where your going you'll never know if you get there. Ever get a annual review at work? They don't give you a " well you tried so you get a raise". They tell you you improved or you didn't and you get a raise or you don't

I don't see the connection you're trying to make. It would be different if he posted something like "I don't have a handicap but my coach says I'm really good". But the guy just enjoys playing golf and the game means different things to different people.

For me personally, I agree with you in that I don't know if I'm improving without a handicap to quantify it. But that's me and I wouldn't presume what's important to me should be important to anyone else.

Jon

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Ludden

Ok, I get it you don't need a HC cause you don't bet or gamble. Hard for me to believe a guy doesn't want to know if he's getting better or worse with his game. Without a benchmark you have no idea if your game is progressing or in remiss. Without a HC you are just guessing You might as well subscribe to something like " no child left behind". Let's not tell Johnny he's not cutting the grade, let's just say he's trying and pass him. It's okay, he wanted to do well so let's pass him. I say your kidding yourself in golf as in life, if you don't know where your going you'll never know if you get there. Ever get a annual review at work? They don't give you a " well you tried so you get a raise". They tell you you improved or you didn't and you get a raise or you don't

I don't see the connection you're trying to make. It would be different if he posted something like "I don't have a handicap but my coach says I'm really good". But the guy just enjoys playing golf and the game means different things to different people.

For me personally, I agree with you in that I don't know if I'm improving without a handicap to quantify it. But that's me and I wouldn't presume what's important to me should be important to anyone else.

Regardless of whether or not he needs a HC, this thread is not here to debate the need because the people posting in here use the system for fair play against others, friends and against themselves. Also as personal assessment of their progress. Granted some sand bag or inflate their scores but on the whole it is a fair system. So discussion on why you don't use it is :offtopic:

*officially the first time I have ever used that emoticon...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I do know when I am getting better or worse. I know what I shoot.

• Administrator
I find your personal attacks interesting, seeing as you don't know me. You a psychotherapist bro? From my post on not having a handicap somehow I am kidding myself in life and don't know where I'm going? Jimmy, I've spent 15+ years in the military with a large chunk of that in Afghanistan. I was there in 2001 and I'm there now. While I do get annual reviews at work, my performance is evaluated constantly. If I screw things up people will be killed or injured or I'll destroy millions of dollars worth of assets.  So pardon me for not taking golf too seriously. I didn't realize you were on the tour.  It seems to me your priorities in life may be out of whack.

If you think that post contained "personal attacks" you're not long for the Internet.

Let's please stick to the topic - I'm with @Valleygolfer . If you don't have a handicap index, this isn't the thread for you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

If you think that post contained "personal attacks" you're not long for the Internet.

Let's please stick to the topic - I'm with @Valleygolfer. If you don't have a handicap index, this isn't the thread for you.

I misread part of the post and have edited mine.

I'm pretty sure the OP asked in his original post why guys like me don't maintain a handicap.

@david in FL I like to compete against others and do from time to time so I do have a HC but I don't really pay attention to it or watch it closely. I just play to play. I track my progress and consistency through tracking FIR, GIR, ect. The HC is more there just for the really competitive people I play, for me I just like the challenge of trying to beat those better then me scratch, if I beat them because of my HC it's just not as good of a win to me

Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!