IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Crim, if you're anywhere near Lincoln give me a shout and I'll get you in the my swing studio with launch monitor - driving distance is all about technique.

@Huddo and someone else is near Lincoln as well. . .I'm amazed that there are so many people so close to each other on this site in a city I've never heard of until reading this site! :-)

You do realize that "many of the other scratch golfers" would have received their handicap under the same system, right?

It's also just the nature of them only posting their tournament rounds, especially for guys who are getting better yet not playing a ton of tournaments.

Okay, I'm sure you wouldn't mind playing a round head to head (you're both 5 HC) against @Nosevi . ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Um, no. I'm saying a 5HC under our system is about a 3HC under yours (2 shot differential). My situation is different as I'm improving rapidly but not been able to post rounds to my handicap as we can only post competition rounds, match play (which I play for my club team) don't count and no rounds can be submitted over the winter.  No that's not what I'm saying. If we're talking 72.0 and a 2 handicapper, the ten best rounds of his last twenty have to average about 74 or so to make him a 2 handicapper. I'm saying that on average this golfer under your system would average 76 (ie 4 over the course rating) meaning his worst 10 rounds ie the ones he disregards from his GHIN would average 78. Under our system a 2 handicapper averages about 74 over all his rounds shot in competition which are the only rounds he can count. That's the number used by the EGU to check whether a category 1 golfer is performing as they would expect for his handicap. Don't get me wrong, your system is clearly better, but there is a difference in the numbers.

Is this a typo then? "On average as you get to between a 5 handicap and scratch (what we term a category 1 golfer) under the US system your handicap is about 4 lower than your scoring average. " Scoring average in your new example is 76. Handicap is 2 though. 76-4 is 72 or scratch. I'll assume a typo or something because I agree a 2 might average 76. Seems right based on my scores years ago and students.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Um, no. I'm saying a 5HC under our system is about a 3HC under yours (2 shot differential). My situation is different as I'm improving rapidly but not been able to post rounds to my handicap as we can only post competition rounds, match play (which I play for my club team) don't count and no rounds can be submitted over the winter.

That seems very strange that a tournament would allow you to compete as a 5 HC while you are capable of shooting to a +2, I would think many of the other scratch golfers would highly object to giving you 5 strokes!

What Golfingdad has said is correct, we're all in the same boat. But if you're improving quite quickly it takes an age here for your handicap to go down. Here's why:

Firstly no social rounds count so if you play your mates every friday after work it doesn't matter, your handicap doesn't change.

All out matches against other clubs (I play for my club's team) are matchplay. These rounds don't count either.

If we are playing from the winter tees or to winter greens, so maybe 4-5 moths of the year, those rounds don't count,

So now you're into the in-season, declared qualifying, stroke play competitions only. Now, all our rounds count and every time you shoot at least 1 shot over your handicap (at cat 1 level) your handicap goes up by 0.1. For any shot below your handicap you shoot it goes down by 0.1.

So looking at me as a lowly 5.1 handicapper, lets just say I start shooting scratch rounds tomorrow. I'd have to shoot scratch, ie on the course rating, 26 times in a row, in competition, in order to get my handicap down to 0.0. For every time I shoot a shot over my handicap, my handicap goes up. and I'd have to shoot another scratch round in competition to cancel that out.

Getting to scratch here takes one hell of a long time.

Pete Iveson

What Golfingdad has said is correct, we're all in the same boat. But if you're improving quite quickly it takes an age here for your handicap to go down. Here's why:

Firstly no social rounds count so if you play your mates every friday after work it doesn't matter, your handicap doesn't change.

All out matches against other clubs (I play for my club's team) are matchplay. These rounds don't count either.

If we are playing from the winter tees or to winter greens, so maybe 4-5 moths of the year, those rounds don't count,

So now you're into the in-season, declared qualifying, stroke play competitions only. Now, all our rounds count and every time you shoot at least 1 shot over your handicap (at cat 1 level) your handicap goes up by 0.1. For any shot below your handicap you shoot it goes down by 0.1.

So looking at me as a lowly 5.1 handicapper, lets just say I start shooting scratch rounds tomorrow. I'd have to shoot scratch, ie on the course rating, 26 times in a row, in competition, in order to get my handicap down to 0.0. For every time I shoot a shot over my handicap, my handicap goes up. and I'd have to shoot another scratch round in competition to cancel that out.

I never doubted what you were/are stating, it's just unfair to the 0 HC golfers when someone shoots to a +2 and given 7 strokes above his true ability.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

I never doubted what you were/are stating, it's just unfair to the 0 HC golfers when someone shoots to a +2 and given 7 strokes above his true ability.

TBH it doesn't matter a lot - the competitions I'm going into we all play off scratch anyway, the handicapped comps are just a means to an end - ie to get your handicap down to get into the higher level scratch comps.

I like the handicap system but never feel like I've beaten a bloke unless I actually beat them. I practice now and then with a couple of tour pros, oddly haven't beaten them yet. But I'll never accept any strokes off them - the day I beat them will be on level terms. (although one just came 3rd in his stage 1 Q school today. best I get practising!!!)

Pete Iveson

TBH it doesn't matter a lot - the competitions I'm going into we all play off scratch anyway, the handicapped comps are just a means to an end - ie to get your handicap down to get into the higher level scratch comps.

I like the handicap system but never feel like I've beaten a bloke unless I actually beat them. I practice now and then with a couple of tour pros, oddly haven't beaten them yet. But I'll never accept any strokes off them - the day I beat them will be on level terms. (although one just came 3rd in his stage 1 Q school today. best I get practising!!!)

Ah, that makes sense.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Like I said earlier, your system in the States if far better and there are moves afoot to change our system to yours (courses being rated and sloped under your system right now) and the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm unusual as I'm relatively new to golf but am practising hard but my case highlights that our system doesn't always actually show your current ability. In fact my initial handicap should have been about 3.5 or so but the EGU refused to award a category 1 handicap straight off and so gave me 5.5. I shot scratch in my first competition a week later which dropped it to 5.1, as I said I only need to do that 26 more times on the trot before they acknowledge that, just perhaps, I'm a bit better than a 5 handicapper.

So in answer to the OP's question, when we enter a EGU handicap it doesn't always equate to how good we are at golf - it's a bloody silly system.

Pete Iveson

Okay, I'm sure you wouldn't mind playing a round head to head (you're both 5 HC) against @Nosevi.

You seem to be missing it here ... he and I are not "both 5 handicaps."  He's a 5 handicap in the UK under an entirely different system than our USGA/GHIN system.  The fellas (and ladies) he's competing against are all also under that same system, so it's all relative.

You seem to be missing it here ... he and I are not "both 5 handicaps."  He's a 5 handicap in the UK under an entirely different system than our USGA/GHIN system.  The fellas (and ladies) he's competing against are all also under that same system, so it's all relative.

I didn't miss the message, but you apparently missed mine. . . ;-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

Since this post 5 months ago, my HI went back up to 23 a month ago and is down to 20 in the last report.   I expect the next update to be in 18s as I have 8 out of 9 soft scores to beat.   It has been a frustrating roller coast ride but things are looking much better.

Close but no cigar.

A couple of high score rounds alternating with low ones and I could not quite make it to "18s" HI.   It was close though as it is sitting at 19.1 now.   I am down to 5 soft scores to beat.  For all likelihood, the next GHIN report will get my HI in 18s.    Then comes the hard part of keep improving, and getting it down to 16 HI - one of my 2015 golf goals.

GHIN says my HI is 19.0.   Yahoo HI program says it is 19.1.   Looks like GHIN is rounding down, and yahoo handicap system is rounding up.   Still missed my expectation of coming below 18.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• 2 weeks later...

Bleh. Went up from 11.1 to 11.3. Not the direction I wanted to be going...

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Down 0.4  30.8 -> 30.4.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

I'm always on my phone which doesn't show handicaps. I also don't play with anyone on the forum. For those reasons it doesn't matter to me. But I'm currently at a 19.5 HCI.

I apologize for having a spam URL in my signature and will not do it again.

Quote:

Since this post 5 months ago, my HI went back up to 23 a month ago and is down to 20 in the last report.   I expect the next update to be in 18s as I have 8 out of 9 soft scores to beat.   It has been a frustrating roller coast ride but things are looking much better.

Close but no cigar.

A couple of high score rounds alternating with low ones and I could not quite make it to "18s" HI.   It was close though as it is sitting at 19.1 now.   I am down to 5 soft scores to beat.  For all likelihood, the next GHIN report will get my HI in 18s.    Then comes the hard part of keep improving, and getting it down to 16 HI - one of my 2015 golf goals.

17.6 in today's report.   With the last Sunday's round, all the soft scores prior to sudden improvement are dropped off from my handicap system.   I hope this sudden improvement has more run left.   Otherwise, my HI can be stuck in 17 - 19 range.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

6.9 and trending down

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Up a bit. Rough couple weeks being sick and playing in wind every damn day. I went late yesterday afternoon thinking I'd get a good round in post it and not trend up but by the second hole the wind came again. I left after six holes when it got to 24 mph.

Dave :-)

Down to 14.6 from 15.1. 5/1 update will be something different, hopefully lower.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Note: This thread is 1182 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!