IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

you might be a non-golfer if you play in a golf league.....LOL

American or National? :doh:

Well the 3 month hiatus is taking it's toll on my index up to 6.5 and I have most of my revision scores ready to come off with the next 8 rounds I may get above 9 in the next couple months, oh the mens club is going to hate me when I turn it around, but all I can say is I don't give up when I play a round and it gets out of control even though I played like garbage the last time I still made 2 birdies.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

9 hole leagues are for slow-play hackers.........Enjoy being a big fish in a little pond!  LOL   ...and the 2.5hr-3hr NINE.

Meanwhile...guys like me play 18+ holes over the same time period that same evening.  this probably doesn't make sense to you.....how can this be?  My clusterFK bogged the course down, how can somebody play 18 faster than we play 9?????????????

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

9 hole leagues are for slow-play hackers.........Enjoy being a big fish in a little pond!  LOL   ...and the 2.5hr-3hr NINE.

Meanwhile...guys like me play 18+ holes over the same time period that same evening.  this probably doesn't make sense to you.....how can this be?  My clusterFK bogged the course down, how can somebody play 18 faster than we play 9?????????????

I'm getting the impression that a) you have a pretty high opinion of yourself, and b) judging from your posts in this thread and your "non-golfer" thread, nobody can be a "real golfer" unless they're just like you.

Not that it will make any difference to your preconceived ideas, but we play 9-hole summer leagues mostly because it's anywhere from 110-120 degrees out here in the late afternoon/early evening hours.  Nine holes usually takes us maybe an hour and a half because the course is totally empty except for those of us crazy enough to golf in the heat.  I doubt that "guys like you" would even come out of the air conditioning and stick a peg in the ground when it's 118 degrees at tee time.

• Upvote 4

Mac

WITB:
Driver: Ping G30 (12*)
FW:  Ping K15 (3W, 5W)
Hybrids: Ping K15 (3H, 5H)
Irons: Ping K15 (6-UW)

Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX CB (54*, 58*)

Putter: Ping Scottsdale w/ SS Slim 3.0

Ball: Bridgestone e6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Avg. Score vs. Handicap  -  My last 20...

So, looking at my last 20 scores compared to my handicap:

81, 79, 78, 82, 87,

84, 80, 83, 88, 85,

84, 85, 90 , 75, 91

78, 78, 85, 76, 75

7.4? I'm so inconsistent - and looking at my last 10 rounds...  two of ten scores in the 70's and nothing lower than 78- yikes didn't realize that till now?

I know slope and rating play into it, but I sure don't feel like a 7.4 right now...

7.4 handicap with an 82.2 average....  just goes to show a lot of people that say ... Oh I average 82, I'm a 10 handicap - You're probably wrong...

P.S. --- Dag-  I'm due to throw a good score soon lol..

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

81, 79, 78, 82, 87,

84, 80, 83, 88, 85,

84, 85, 90, 75, 91

78, 78, 85, 76, 75

7.4?   I'm so inconsistent - and looking at my last 10 rounds...  two of ten scores in the 70's and nothing lower than 78- yikes didn't realize that till now?

I know slope and rating play into it, but I sure don't feel like a 7.4 right now...

7.4 handicap with an 82.2 average....  just goes to show a lot of people that say ... Oh I average 82, I'm a 10 handicap - You're probably wrong...

Same boat and it's really frustrating. I don't have any 90's but I could soon with an average score of 83.6. I've only been sub 80 twice this year and just barely at 79.

I am struggling to "stay" in the round. Seems like a couple doubles on the front derail me every time and I lose interest. It's the same damn holes every time.

I've missed the first two weeks of men's league but I am going to get killed. Anyone 9.9 or lower is championship flight and both weeks the low gross skins were par and -1. The way I am currently playing I don't think I can win any net skins so kind of bummed. Just not putting in the time. I feel like a bogey golfer again.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JP golf

81, 79, 78, 82, 87,

84, 80, 83, 88, 85,

84, 85, 90, 75, 91

78, 78, 85, 76, 75

7.4?   I'm so inconsistent - and looking at my last 10 rounds...  two of ten scores in the 70's and nothing lower than 78- yikes didn't realize that till now?

Same boat and it's really frustrating. I don't have any 90's but I could soon with an average score of 83.6. I've only been sub 80 twice this year and just barely at 79.

I am struggling to "stay" in the round. Seems like a couple doubles on the front derail me every time and I lose interest. It's the same damn holes every time.

I've missed the first two weeks of men's league but I am going to get killed. Anyone 9.9 or lower is championship flight and both weeks the low gross skins were par and -1. The way I am currently playing I don't think I can win any net skins so kind of bummed. Just not putting in the time. I feel like a bogey golfer again.

My scores (91 being today's score) ...  note the 3 different back to back round scores in bold.  About 20 stroke difference in the 3 pairs of rounds.

91 87 107 103 90 109 91  97   89  94

88  98  93  107  95 96 84 108 97  100

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

If someone could help me with my handicap I would appreciate it. I have played a lot more rounds than what I will post here but they were either on par 3 courses or are rounds that I lost the scorecards for before I ever started caring about my handicap. I have the Swing by Swing app on my phone which is telling me my handicap is 12.2 which I think is wrong. Before I post my scores I have a couple questions.

1. The course I play most often is a 9 hole course. The scorecard has the holes as 1-9 and then again as 10-18. Would a round used towards calculating my handicap be 9 holes, 18 holes, or can this course not be used?

2. Does any course meet the requirements to be used for handicap or is there some bare minimum? (The course I play most frequently is a 9 hole par 35 with a course rating of 32.4 from the white tees where I play and a slope of 109)

So anyway, here are my scores.

Round 1

Par: 70

Course Rating: 67.3

Slope: 121

Score: 107

Round 2

Par: 71

Course Rating: 69.1

Slope: 111

Score: 102

-----------------------These next 4 rounds are on the 9 hole course where I am unclear if you count 9 hole score or 18 hole score or neither---------------

Round 3

Course Rating: 64.8

Slope: 109

Score: (42, 47) 89

Round 4

Score: (45, 42) 87

Round 5

Score: (49, 46) 95

Round 6

Score: (43, 39) 82

So swing by swing is using the 42 from the first 9 of round 3, the 42 from the second 9 of round 4, the 43 from the first 9 of round 6, and the 39 from the second 9 of round 6. Is that correct? Or instead should it be taking the 82 as the 18 hole score from round 6 and the 87 from the 18 hole score of round 4? Or should it just be using round 2 as the  9 hole course isn't a full course?

Should my handicap really be 12.2 the way they are figuring it? Or 14.5 using 18 hole scores? Or 31 using just the first 2 rounds?

I just have a hard time believing I have gone from a 31 handicap to 12.2 by playing a simple course 4 (or 8) times in a couple weeks. The main reason I have done so well there is because I have seen all of the holes so many times in a short span. Is that just how it works?

I went to Tennessee and played 9 holes with my brother on a course with a slope of 111 and shot 49 where par was 35. So if you figure I would have been +28 through 18 that seems close to what I thought my handicap was.

I'm confused.

@WatchOutLeft , I'm confused in that your 9 hole courses have a course rating of 64.8 and par 70.  That's not right. The 9 hole rating is what you should be using for the handicap calculation.   Look up your course here to get the 9 hole rating:

https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/NCRListing.aspx

Also check out this tutorial by swing by swing:

http://help.swingbyswing.com/article/49-can-i-setup-two-9-hole-courses-as-an-18-hole-round

The handicap rules state that you need to combine two consequtive 9 hole rounds for 18 hole handicap purposes.  You can't just simple double your score and the rating as perhaps you where doing.

I've used two apps for calculating HI; Swing by Swing and Diablo Golf.  I found that both of these apps had errors on the course rating and slope of certain courses I play.  Swing by Swing even had ratings and slopes on courses that had no rating or slope (Swing by Swing allows users to submit ratings and slope values to the overall database and it doesn't seem that they audit/review the updates).  Fortunately the apps let you edit/over ride the rating and slope.  What you need to do is check on that USGA link to correct the rating and slope for the courses you play.  Also delete from the HI page on Swing by Swing any courses that are not USGA rated (even though some user had added a bogus rating and slope to the database).

• Upvote 1

@No Mulligans , thanks for the help. I haven't been calculating my handicap at all, just letting swing by swing do it but I didn't know how to combine two 9 hole rounds to make an 18 hole round so thanks for that!

I had the course rating wrong because I figured you could double that since the 9 holes are the same. Turns out I was wrong yet again (is there anything I understand about golf?). The course rating for the course in question (Blacksburg Municipal Golf Course for the record) turns out to be 68.0 with a slope of 120 according to the USGA site you referenced. I don't get why the course would put such a lower slope on their scorecards, but whatever.

I'm working on combining some scores to get my actual handicap. Thanks again for the help!

I've been meaning to ask about this but kept procrastinating or forgetting.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an excellent website for establishing a handicap?  I'm looking for something that won't give me any problems as far as entering tournaments or leagues and that will allow me to play and record scores across multiple states.  Having it be reasonably priced would be great as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've been meaning to ask about this but kept procrastinating or forgetting.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an excellent website for establishing a handicap?  I'm looking for something that won't give me any problems as far as entering tournaments or leagues and that will allow me to play and record scores across multiple states.  Having it be reasonably priced would be great as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

On another thread, someone mentioned using Diablo Golf:

http://thesandtrap.com/t/81521/handicap-app-diablo-golf

This appears to be a free system that offers both web posting and apps for your smartphone.  They also claim to be able to issue Official USGA handicaps when you join one of there online golf clubs.  I can't speak to how well it works, but its a place to start.

www.diablogolf.com

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

If someone could help me with my handicap I would appreciate it. I have played a lot more rounds than what I will post here but they were either on par 3 courses or are rounds that I lost the scorecards for before I ever started caring about my handicap. I have the Swing by Swing app on my phone which is telling me my handicap is 12.2 which I think is wrong. Before I post my scores I have a couple questions.

1. The course I play most often is a 9 hole course. The scorecard has the holes as 1-9 and then again as 10-18. Would a round used towards calculating my handicap be 9 holes, 18 holes, or can this course not be used?

2. Does any course meet the requirements to be used for handicap or is there some bare minimum? (The course I play most frequently is a 9 hole par 35 with a course rating of 32.4 from the white tees where I play and a slope of 109)

So anyway, here are my scores.

Round 1

Course Rating: 67.3

Slope: 121

Score: 107

Round 2

Par: 71

Course Rating: 69.1

Slope: 111

Score: 102

-----------------------These next 4 rounds are on the 9 hole course where I am unclear if you count 9 hole score or 18 hole score or neither---------------

Round 3

Score: (42, 47) 89

Round 4

Score: (45, 42) 87

Round 5

Score: (49, 46) 95

Round 6

Score: (43, 39) 82

So swing by swing is using the 42 from the first 9 of round 3, the 42 from the second 9 of round 4, the 43 from the first 9 of round 6, and the 39 from the second 9 of round 6. Is that correct? Or instead should it be taking the 82 as the 18 hole score from round 6 and the 87 from the 18 hole score of round 4? Or should it just be using round 2 as the  9 hole course isn't a full course?

Should my handicap really be 12.2 the way they are figuring it? Or 14.5 using 18 hole scores? Or 31 using just the first 2 rounds?

I just have a hard time believing I have gone from a 31 handicap to 12.2 by playing a simple course 4 (or 8) times in a couple weeks. The main reason I have done so well there is because I have seen all of the holes so many times in a short span. Is that just how it works?

I went to Tennessee and played 9 holes with my brother on a course with a slope of 111 and shot 49 where par was 35. So if you figure I would have been +28 through 18 that seems close to what I thought my handicap was.

I'm confused.

With only 5 - 6 rounds, your temporary HI is based on only one round, the best round.  That last round looks to be the best.  Base on your corrected rating and slope of 68.0 and 120 the calculation:

82 - 68 = 14

14 * 113/120 = 13.18

13.18 * .96 = 12.6

Your temporary HI based on those 6 rounds is 12.6

• Upvote 1

Many of your local courses may have an association you can join that will include access to their tournaments and a handicap.  I think the courses around here charge about $25 or $30 for a USGA handicap and I can post all my scores online.  Just ask a local course about getting an established handicap and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Many of your local courses may have an association you can join that will include access to their tournaments and a handicap.  I think the courses around here charge about $25 or $30 for a USGA handicap and I can post all my scores online.  Just ask a local course about getting an established handicap and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I did ask the local course actually and they can do it but I thought I might have trouble using it if I played out of state, etc.  I dunno, maybe that concern doesn't really make sense but I thought if there was a bigger, nationwide group I might be better off signing up with them.  Plus the local guy said getting an index online would probably cost almost half as much as what they were charging.

With only 5 - 6 rounds, your temporary HI is based on only one round, the best round.  That last round looks to be the best.  Base on your corrected rating and slope of 68.0 and 120 the calculation:

82 - 68 = 14

14 * 113/120 = 13.18

13.18 * .96 = 12.6

Your temporary HI based on those 6 rounds is 12.6

Thanks for figuring that out for me. I'm assuming 113 and .96 are constants in those equations? What is the rule for how many rounds are counted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchOutLeft View Post

Thanks for figuring that out for me. I'm assuming 113 and .96 are constants in those equations? What is the rule for how many rounds are counted?

Yes those are constants.

Quote USGA:
113 (the Slope Rating of a course of standard difficulty).

Quote USGA:
Bonus for Excellence is the incentive for players to improve their golf games that is built into the USGA Handicap System . It is the term used to describe the small percentage below perfect equity that is used to calculate a Handicap Index (96 percent). As a Handicap Index improves (gets lower), the player has a slightly better chance of placing high or winning a handicap event.

How many rounds are counted:

Quote USGA:

That info came from here:  http://usga.org/Rule-Books/Handicap-System-Manual/Rule-10/#10-1

• Upvote 1

I did ask the local course actually and they can do it but I thought I might have trouble using it if I played out of state, etc.  I dunno, maybe that concern doesn't really make sense but I thought if there was a bigger, nationwide group I might be better off signing up with them.  Plus the local guy said getting an index online would probably cost almost half as much as what they were charging.

I post all my scores through VSGA and I think most of the courses I've played are in the system.  At least the guy is honest.  I do mine through my home course as it's included with the association fees.  I actually need to get in some of the tournaments this year!  I think it was $80 to join the association and that included my handicap.

JP

I post all my scores through VSGA and I think most of the courses I've played are in the system.  At least the guy is honest.  I do mine through my home course as it's included with the association fees.  I actually need to get in some of the tournaments this year!  I think it was $80 to join the association and that included my handicap.

I'm another Virginia golfer.  The VSGA has actually contracted their handicap calculation duties to a nationwide internet-based service at www.Ghin.com.  I can enter my scores through my phone or home computer, or at any other club in any state that uses the Ghin system.  Most golf courses are listed, but you can enter rounds on unlisted courses by typing in the course rating and slope.  Anyone can access my records and review the rounds I've posted.  If your local courses uses Ghin, you have no worries about posting, no matter where you play.

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 1181 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!