IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Official handicap now for the first time in my life.  7.3.  But I am sure its going to bounce around a lot until I get more rounds in....

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16.9 with my last 20 rounds settling down to 16 - 17 HI range scores.   I am hoping my new experiments (fitted Edel putter & wedges, Aimpoint) will get my HI below 16 in the next report.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Creeping down....  30.2 from 30.3.

Bill Z.

:ping: G15 Driver
:tmade: RBZ Stage 2 3 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 5 wood
:adams: Tight Lies Ovation 7 wood
:tmade: Burner 2.0 4I-AW
:cleveland: CG15 56
DLR Hog 1005D Putter

We seem to have a lot of posters who don't maintain a real handicap.  I'm curious as to why.....  I'm not talking about the guy that just started golf this year, or someone like Fourputt who's on something of a forced sabbatical, but rather the guys who play when they can and are serious/interested enough in the game to actually spend time on this forum.

While the purpose of a handicap is to allow for golfers of differing abilities to compete against each other on a relatively level playing field, for those of us interested in improving our game (everyone on this forum presumably) it also provides a method by which we can track our progress.  Additionally, advice provided on the forum is often customized for the specific individual and an accurate handicap can provide some useful insight as to the perspective of someone seeking advice.....

Having said that, a couple of questions.

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current.....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions?

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation?

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not?

-  If it's not correct and official, do you know how a handicap is actually calculated?  How are you calculating yours?

Just to start....  Probably no surprise since I started the thread, but mine is correct, official, and current.  I try to remember to update with each revision if there's a change.  Unfortunately, it went up .2 on the 15th.

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current .....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions? Yes

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation? Official GHIN

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not? My profile shows 16, my GHIN is 16.6. I am just too lazy to update anything after the decimal point. Not to mention my handicap only seems to move from 16.2 to 16.9 and back.

-  If it's not correct and official, do you know how a handicap is actually calculated?  How are you calculating yours?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I've been meaning to ask about this but kept procrastinating or forgetting.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an excellent website for establishing a handicap?  I'm looking for something that won't give me any problems as far as entering tournaments or leagues and that will allow me to play and record scores across multiple states.  Having it be reasonably priced would be great as well.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I use The Grint.  They offer a free USGA handicap and have a pro option as well, for $20 a year.  I use my phone to keep score and my handicap gets updated automatically twice a month.  I haven't run into a course they haven't had and I've played in a few different states.

DJ

Follow me at Game Golf Profile: http://www.gamegolf.com/player/djfajt71 

My handicap index as shown is official and current, and is down 0.3 in the last cycle :banana: .  And I know WAY too much about handicap calculations.  I captain our interclub league team, and there are often questions about handicaps, posting, tournament reductions, sandbagging, etc.  I can say with pretty good assurance that I understand exactly how handicaps are calculated in the USGA system.  I'm not sure everything in there is fair, but I do understand the system.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

We seem to have a lot of posters who don't maintain a real handicap.  I'm curious as to why.....  I'm not talking about the guy that just started golf this year, or someone like Fourputt who's on something of a forced sabbatical, but rather the guys who play when they can and are serious/interested enough in the game to actually spend time on this forum.

While the purpose of a handicap is to allow for golfers of differing abilities to compete against each other on a relatively level playing field, for those of us interested in improving our game (everyone on this forum presumably) it also provides a method by which we can track our progress.  Additionally, advice provided on the forum is often customized for the specific individual and an accurate handicap can provide some useful insight as to the perspective of someone seeking advice.....

Having said that, a couple of questions.

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current.....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions?

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation?

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not?

Just to start....  Probably no surprise since I started the thread, but mine is correct, official, and current.  I try to remember to update with each revision if there's a change.  Unfortunately, it went up .2 on the 15th.

I'm a CPA and in accounting we often will report numbers to indicate a level of precision.  For example, $150,000 vs $151,238.29 indicate different levels of precision.  I always indicate the 10ths, like 21.4, with my handicap to indicate that it is actually calculated.

In contrast, when I see 18, I think, really?  Not 18.1 or 17.9, but exactly 18?  To me it indicates it's not calculated and someone is just saying, 'I'm about a bogey golfer'.

To your questions:

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current .....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions?  - Yes

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation? - Correct but not official

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not? - I don't belong to a GHIN or a Golf Club

-  If it's not correct and official, do you know how a handicap is actually calculated?  - Yes, I use to calculate my HI with my own spreadsheet.  Spreadsheets are my kind of thing, I do them every working day for much of the day.

-  How are you calculating yours?  - I'm using DiabloGolf app and website

Down to 7.1, Eh!

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Come to Stoneleigh, we'll play straight up

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

Straight up, I think you would need to give me a couple of strokes. 1 a-side. :-P

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Straight up, I think you would need to give me a couple of strokes. 1 a-side.

I might even need more, your course kicks my butt. :beer:

-Jerry

I might even need more, your course kicks my butt.

I'll give you 3, loser buys the first beer.

Dave

My index followed the typical path in 2015  as it does every year.

3.1..................2015 starting point.

4.9..................spring rust/peak.......happy this was the peak.

Then trending lower each revision as the winter rust falls away.............

Most recent revision:  Down from 4.2 to 3.8.   I plan to get into the 2's by mid summer.  I may slip back into the 1's before the year is over.  Only time will tell....

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

• 2 weeks later...

From  16.6 to 16.9 to 17.2.  Playing level hasn't changed for the last 3 periods.  The scoring range has narrowed.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1155 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!