IGNORED

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

David in FL
Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

20 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Now that's what I call a precipitous drop in index in a short time. Big congrats man. Keep up the good work.

Evolvr is a hell of a drug.

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Now that's what I call a precipitous drop in index in a short time. Big congrats man. Keep up the good work.

I think i read in another thread that he broke par recently. The first time i broke par i was around a 4-5 handicap and that one round pretty much cut it in half in one revision if i remember right. Differentials under 70 wonders for the ole handi. 

4 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I am going to get a lesson from Erik this weekend, hopefully it works out to be a catalyst for my own drop in index. Really though, I'm pretty sure that the key to any real significant drop is going to be a breakthrough in kicking my flip to the curb.

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I think i read in another thread that he broke par recently. The first time i broke par i was around a 4-5 handicap and that one round pretty much cut it in half in one revision if i remember right. Differentials under 70 wonders for the ole handi. 

I'm well off breaking par, at least for 18 holes. I can see myself having a good enough 9 that par or just under is possible. Especially at one of the courses I play a lot.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Correct, it was a -4 67, however that was only a +0.8 so it was an easier course. Ive had a few 1-3 index 75-76 rounds recently. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

11 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

Correct, it was a -4 67, however that was only a +0.8 so it was an easier course. Ive had a few 1-3 index 75-76 rounds recently. 

Still a good round, though. I often play from the ladies tees to prepare myself for tournaments. I find playing from short distances conditions your mindset for scoring. If I'm playing from 5000 yards or something like that, I'm thinking birdie every damn hole lol. Which is what you should be thinking in competition, too. I find it helps me. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

Was it mostly the swing improvement?  What improved the most? 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

16.7 Trending 15.8 for the next revision.  Started the year at 19.3, which went up to 21.3 by March.  I miss far too many < 7ft birdie putts, but seem to make the occasional 20ft par putt, I seem to have a mental block when it comes to scoring birdies. (I average 1 every 4 rounds or so).

Teeing the ball up a bit on par 3's has helped me a great deal with consistency... I lose about 20 yards doing this, but get a much higher flight and control the direction a lot better.  I have won a CTP in my last three tournaments. (Missed all the birdie putts on those though).  Still in reach to be a 12 by the end of the year.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

I think I might eventually get over the novelty of being able to hit like a younger dude and possibly work to get better at scoring? Nah, I'll just continue to tell everyone I'm bogey, and have fun trying to blast a 60 through trees running up the occasional double or making those funky pars from other fairways. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

The first time i broke par i was around a 4-5 handicap and that one round pretty much cut it in half in one revision if i remember right. Differentials under 70 wonders for the ole handi. 

That could be true if you go super low (like, low 60's or something), but otherwise, it's rare that a single round could ever cut your index by  much more than a stroke by itself. 

If you are a 4 handicap, your worst differential in your top 10 will probably be something like a 6.5 or so. Even if you went 4 strokes below the Course rating, that single round would only take you to about a 3.0. To go from a 4 to a 2 in one round, you would have to literally shoot in the 50's. 

Typically big drops in index are a result of several good rounds stacked together, moreso than one lighting in a bottle round.

4 minutes ago, Big C said:

That could be true if you go super low (like, low 60's or something), but otherwise, it's rare that a single round could ever cut your index by  much more than a stroke by itself. 

If you are a 4 handicap, your worst differential in your top 10 will probably be something like a 6.5 or so. Even if you went 4 strokes below the Course rating, that single round would only take you to about a 3.0. To go from a 4 to a 2 in one round, you would have to literally shoot in the 50's. 

Typically big drops in index are a result of several good rounds stacked together, moreso than one lighting in a bottle round.

It was pretty low. -4 67. Still have the card. I can't remember if I broke par again in the next few rounds after that. 

On 6/24/2016 at 1:24 PM, rkim291968 said:

Was it mostly the swing improvement?  What improved the most? 

Yes, it was entirely swing improvement. I am hitting much more greens and therefore having to get up and down a lot less. 

Kyle Paulhus

Moving in the right direction!!!  3.4........Down to a 1.9 July 1....................  I can't play tomorrow, so I know I know the end result!  i CAN DIG IT!!  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Well... Still a down trend but didn't play with other people enough during this cycle to post many scores. Down to 16.4 from 16.5.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

My handicap is at 5.1 now. Luckily my best 9 of my best 10 is 9 out of my last 11 rounds. Time to keep up the good play. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 7/25/2013 at 1:13 PM, David in FL said:

We seem to have a lot of posters who don't maintain a real handicap.  I'm curious as to why.....  I'm not talking about the guy that just started golf this year, or someone like Fourputt who's on something of a forced sabbatical, but rather the guys who play when they can and are serious/interested enough in the game to actually spend time on this forum.

While the purpose of a handicap is to allow for golfers of differing abilities to compete against each other on a relatively level playing field, for those of us interested in improving our game (everyone on this forum presumably) it also provides a method by which we can track our progress.  Additionally, advice provided on the forum is often customized for the specific individual and an accurate handicap can provide some useful insight as to the perspective of someone seeking advice.....

Having said that, a couple of questions.

-  Is the handicap as shown in your profile current .....say at least within the last 2 15-day revisions?

-  Is it correct and "official", or some form of guess/estimate/self-calculation?

-  If it's not current, correct, and official, why not?

-  If it's not correct and official, do you know how a handicap is actually calculated?  How are you calculating yours?

Just to start....  Probably no surprise since I started the thread, but mine is correct, official, and current.  I try to remember to update with each revision if there's a change.  Unfortunately, it went up .2 on the 15th. :-(

I haven't commented on this thread, so I am going right back to the original post. I also have an up to date handicap, albeit  I don't believe it to be very accurate. Perhaps a few shots lower would be right. So, why doesn't everyone have an official handicap, and why is that so many people who do have one, have one that is incorrect. Well, I can answer this quite easily. The system is to complex, most golfers don't fully understand it, and believe it or not, neither do all the handicap secretaries. I was recently on another golfing site and everyone appeared to be squabbling like children. All this could be sorted quite easily, but it never will be. If every club member handed in their card after every round (including practice) the scores could be fed into the computer, and the handicap kept up to date. At present there are still people who believe only scores from comps count. In fact, the system is more flexible than people think, and some people do their best to make it as hard as possible. A few years ago a friend of mine wrote to the club handicap secretary and requested his handicap be cut by 4 shots, because he was winning all his practice games against his friends. The HS obliged, as he has the right to do so. Of course, some people think it's OK for golfers to have various handicaps based on who they are playing, I DON'T. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Note: This thread is 1176 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!