Jump to content
David in FL

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

1,960 posts / 100218 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Zekez said:

I assume the index for each golfer is for 18 holes?  is that correct?

Yes. You can post 9 hole rounds, but they will be combined with other 9 hole rounds to be 18 hole scores. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Finally decided to get an actual handicap this year. Just got my revision today and went down to a 16.3. Still don't have enough rounds in for a true measure, but hoping once I'm at 20+ rounds and it revises, I'll be sub-15.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Got 2 good scores in this weekend, just in time for the revision.   Down from a lowest ever 8.7 to a new lowest ever 8.0.     My next two scores to drop off are bad scores as well, so there is a good chance to drop it again by the next revision.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Mine jumped to a 9.4 after my recent struggles with the clubs. Just need to keep working on it to get it back down. Not sure that will happen. Here, in Florida, the bermuda rough is coming on really strong. The index always goes up during the summer months due to the conditions. More rain, making the course play longer, and you really have to stay out of the rough. During the winter, you can pretty much assure yourself that an approach shot hit a little short will bounce and roll onto the green. Now between the rough in front of the greens and the wet weather, if you don't hit the green, you may be looking at a sure bogey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Down to 3.4, from my Spring high of 6.8.  

4 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Finally decided to get an actual handicap this year. Just got my revision today and went down to a 16.3. Still don't have enough rounds in for a true measure, but hoping once I'm at 20+ rounds and it revises, I'll be sub-15.

I hope you succeed, but typically your handicap will go up a bit as you "fill out" your scoring history to 20 rounds.  If you only have 10 score, for instance, only the lowest 3 count, which makes your handicap index a little lower than it would be if half of your scores counted.  On the other hand, if you're playing more, and playing better as you go through the year, you have a decent chance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, Rkrider99 said:

Mine jumped to a 9.4 after my recent struggles with the clubs. Just need to keep working on it to get it back down. Not sure that will happen. Here, in Florida, the bermuda rough is coming on really strong. The index always goes up during the summer months due to the conditions. More rain, making the course play longer, and you really have to stay out of the rough. During the winter, you can pretty much assure yourself that an approach shot hit a little short will bounce and roll onto the green. Now between the rough in front of the greens and the wet weather, if you don't hit the green, you may be looking at a sure bogey.

I found a solution to the Bermuda rough issue that you might find helpful...

...stay outa the rough!  :-D

:beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is my first year with a handicap. Started at 16.5. Down to 16.0 at the lowest last week and back to 16.1 this week. Hope to be down to single digits by the end of the year but more realistically hope to be at most 13, any more and I’ll be disappointed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Down to 3.4, from my Spring high of 6.8.  

I hope you succeed, but typically your handicap will go up a bit as you "fill out" your scoring history to 20 rounds.  If you only have 10 score, for instance, only the lowest 3 count, which makes your handicap index a little lower than it would be if half of your scores counted.  On the other hand, if you're playing more, and playing better as you go through the year, you have a decent chance.

Right. Fortunately though, my scores have trended down and it's using some of my more recent ones. And today I shot my best round of the year which has me trending to 15.3. 

Still too early to tell, but we'll see! Just nice to finally have a number instead of the guessing game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 minute ago, NatalieB said:

I’ve dropped my handicap from a 5.0 at the beginning of this year to a 3.3 with tournament golf (crazy, I know)! This weekend at Virtues Golf Club I shot 81 which had me tied for 2nd, 3 strokes back of 1st. I then shot 75 the second day to tie for first- that round was a 1.8 differential. We traveled from there to Latrobe CC where I shot 78, having the second best score of ALL 103 players that day (boys and girls up to 18). I took first in the 14-18 year old girls age division by 9 strokes. 

To be clear…

94F55C3D-1A27-4677-A8CD-86F9B37271DD.jpeg

Virtually every round she plays this time of year is a tournament round, so her handicap is as honest as it can be. There are few 72s with conceded putts at her home course here. Almost every score is a tournament round at a course she’s never seen or has seen once or so.

And the 78 she shot yesterday isn’t even in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

51 minutes ago, iacas said:

To be clear…

94F55C3D-1A27-4677-A8CD-86F9B37271DD.jpeg

Virtually every round she plays this time of year is a tournament round, so her handicap is as honest as it can be. There are few 72s with conceded putts at her home course here. Almost every score is a tournament round at a course she’s never seen or has seen once or so.

And the 78 she shot yesterday isn’t even in there.

That's Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, NatalieB said:

I’ve dropped my handicap from a 5.0 at the beginning of this year to a 3.3 with tournament golf (crazy, I know)! This weekend at Virtues Golf Club I shot 81 which had me tied for 2nd, 3 strokes back of 1st. I then shot 75 the second day to tie for first- that round was a 1.8 differential. We traveled from there to Latrobe CC where I shot 78, having the second best score of ALL 103 players that day (boys and girls up to 18). I took first in the 14-18 year old girls age division by 9 strokes. 

Wowza. Weren't you like a 13 handicap when I played with you and Erik 2 years ago? That's awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I plugged my 20 most recent rounds into Practical Golf. It says I'm a 2.9. I say, yeah right...... I had a few rounds of 90, 93, 90, 93, though all of them were on the same course from the back with a rating of 76.5 and a slope of 145. Other than that I'm lower than 85 with a few 79's. Most of my 20 most recent rounds are at my colleges main course which is a rating of 76.8 and a slope of 137. My highest score there is an 85 and I have 2 79's so far this year. The 85 was in a tournament, my highest score on it out of a tournament was 83.

My tournament index came back after todays round of 83, and it is 8.6, so I really doubt that I am a 2.9. Their(practical golf's) calculation must be really incorrect.. Unless its me who is incorrect... Regardless, my tournament index is calculated by the people who run the tournament so thats what I'm going to go with on my profile. I'm still on my blind journey to scratch golf, but I don't know where the hell 2.9 came from. 

Edited by freshmanUTA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 minutes ago, freshmanUTA said:

I say, yeah right..

It's just math.

I'd bet their calculation is correct. It's your best 10 differentials from your last 20, and then multiplied by 0.96.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 9:14 AM, NatalieB said:

... We traveled from there to Latrobe CC where I shot 78, having the second best score of ALL 103 players that day (boys and girls up to 18). I took first in the 14-18 year old girls age division by 9 strokes. 

Nicely done, young lady!  Look out Dad, you may soon have someone vying for "Best Player in the Family"!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I put my scores from this year into a spreadsheet and calculated my "current" handicap. Many of these are combined 9 hole rounds from golf league.

image.png

I should do something like this, but honestly just going by my scores I'm pretty sure what I have listed is pretty accurate. I'm pretty much consistent, good/bad/or indifferent. I'm +24 for the last 27 holes, averaging 8 over per 9 on a course that plays pretty much to 72, so that works out to right around 15. Unless something changes drastically up or down in scores I probably won't even bother with something this simple.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...