Jump to content
David in FL

Forum Profile Handicap Indices....

1,960 posts / 100094 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Down 1 full point to 17.7.   Swing adjustment after the last lesson was the main culprit.  Hoping to reverse the trend after tons of drills to get used to the swing tweak.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Back up to 10.5. I have been playing yo-yo around the 10.0 mark for a few months now. With the rainy season started (it's rained out today), I doubt it'll go much lower before the end of the year...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Closed out the season at 8.8 after starting April 1 at 8.9. Was as high as 11.1 for a week in July but closed the season with 8 of my last 10 scores counting toward my cap. 53 posted rounds with 43 at my home course. Low tournament score of 81. 

Edited by phan52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm packing the clubs away for the winter except for a very few rare rounds.  it's time to focus on bowling and watch my kid bowl tournaments. 

I began the year with a 3.4 GHIN index, peaked at 4.9 shaking off winter rust, then steadily dropped to 0.7 to finish.  This was a good year......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/2/2015, 10:06:42, rkim291968 said:

Down 1 full point to 17.7.   Swing adjustment after the last lesson was the main culprit.  Hoping to reverse the trend after tons of drills to get used to the swing tweak.

 

I meant to say "up" 1 full point to 17.7.

 

It will be winter in northern CA soon.  My course will be windy, soggy, and where there are dried out grass now will be covered with fully grown grass & brush (lost ball galore).   I expect my HI to go higher if I don't improve my ball striking soon.   My assessment is, I am probably staring at 19 HI through winter due to weather condition.  I need to improve 2 - 3 strokes just to maintain 17.7 HI.   Just putting pressure on myself needlessly ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The (scoring) season ended here, my EGA handicap at 8.7. But I and a friend of mine, we did an interesting experiment. Last month we were 19 days in Florida and because we were sure to play more then 20 rounds, we sort of got our USGA handicap. Sort of, because not officially, we just used a spreadsheet and filled in our scores. ESC and all depending on temporary handicaps, starting at 36.

At the end of the vacation my USGA handicap was 11.4. I really struggled with the greens, grain,  the rough and even the fairways. We played more then 30 rounds (yes in 19 days) and one day the greens were stimp 10.5 and the next day they were 6 or so.  I couldn't get used to it. And I was a bit disappointed not to be able to get into single digits.

My friends EGA handicap is 6.7 and he ended on 6.0 USGA. So this little experiment has no conclusions what so ever.

First round back in Holland I played was an 82, on a difficult course and one stroke better then my playiing handicap. :banana:

Edited by MacDutch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 11/4/2015, 2:17:01, rkim291968 said:

 

I meant to say "up" 1 full point to 17.7.

 

It will be winter in northern CA soon.  My course will be windy, soggy, and where there are dried out grass now will be covered with fully grown grass & brush (lost ball galore).   I expect my HI to go higher if I don't improve my ball striking soon.   My assessment is, I am probably staring at 19 HI through winter due to weather condition.  I need to improve 2 - 3 strokes just to maintain 17.7 HI.   Just putting pressure on myself needlessly ...

Down a fraction to 17.5.  Going through a swing tweak and I expect the next GHIN to go higher before it goes down. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My stated handicap is current and correct (I think), but not official. 

After a 20 year hiatus from golf due to a back operation.  I just started playing again in September.  I don't belong to any course and didn't think it would be appropriate to sign up for a handicap anywhere in Northern Michigan where the golf courses start closing in October.

Instead, I enter all my scores in the Golf Digest Handicap web service.  Golf Digests claims to use the same calculation as USGA.

I've played close to 40 rounds this fall.  My first couple rounds, using my old clubs from when I last played golf in my 40's -- stiff shafted, extra length and heavy -- were over 100.  After buying "old man's clubs" (regular flex, graphite irons and hybrids) I've, steadily, lowered my handicap to 11.  This sounds like great progress, but I was a solid 5 handicap 20 years ago with forays down to 2 occasionally.  So, although I'll never be the same golfer I was in the past, I suspect I'll be able to get to single digits again.

Oh, and I'm having a lot of fun with no back pain.

Later,

John

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, JBailey said:

My stated handicap is current and correct (I think), but not official. 

After a 20 year hiatus from golf due to a back operation.  I just started playing again in September.  I don't belong to any course and didn't think it would be appropriate to sign up for a handicap anywhere in Northern Michigan where the golf courses start closing in October.

Instead, I enter all my scores in the Golf Digest Handicap web service.  Golf Digests claims to use the same calculation as USGA.

I've played close to 40 rounds this fall.  My first couple rounds, using my old clubs from when I last played golf in my 40's -- stiff shafted, extra length and heavy -- were over 100.  After buying "old man's clubs" (regular flex, graphite irons and hybrids) I've, steadily, lowered my handicap to 11.  This sounds like great progress, but I was a solid 5 handicap 20 years ago with forays down to 2 occasionally.  So, although I'll never be the same golfer I was in the past, I suspect I'll be able to get to single digits again.

Oh, and I'm having a lot of fun with no back pain.

Later,

John

 

The DiabloGolf app gives you an official USGA handicap.  Why don't you use that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

The DiabloGolf app gives you an official USGA handicap.  Why don't you use that?

Thanks, we'll look into it.

Later,

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2015, 10:30:11, rkim291968 said:

Down a fraction to 17.5.  Going through a swing tweak and I expect the next GHIN to go higher before it goes down. 

True to my word, it went up to 18.7.   The swing tweak started to stabilize but not before a half dozen poor scores later.   The HI will likely go down further in the next report before the swing tweak benefits my HI.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Started the season at 29, finished at 23.8. Very pleased with my progress. Still haven't broken 90 but I had 2 91's and 9 hole rounds of 44 and 46. Ball striking has improved immensely, but next year I need to keep up on my short game practice. 

While the me of last summer would be ecstatic over these scores, I look back at those rounds and still see room for improvement. Both 91's had a lost ball and multiple 3 putts on the back 9. 

Next summer is going to be tough golf wise since kid #2 is due in April, so my goal will be to just maintain in the low 20's. 3 year goal is to get below a 20. I have faith that I'll break 90 sooner or later. Another goal that I'm close to achieving is to par every hole at my home course at least once (Pelham Bay Course in The Bronx,NY). As of last weekend I have parred 15 of 18 holes. Still need to conquer #5, #7 and #13. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...