IGNORED

What should I focus on at the range

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello, I go by Austin since I'm from Tx, but I'm currently living in Australia now. I'm new here to the boards. Anyway, Im finally getting serious about golf. I have played off and on since I was 5 when my mom worked at a driving range. When I say off and on though, I mean multi year gaps and casual playing, maybe once or twice a year. However, my future uncle in law has sucked me in for good; taking me out to play some rounds and he even bought me a second hand set of clubs - I'm hooked. Now I'm also a new father and I can only play a round or practice once or twice a week for now while he's a tot and I need to maximize my practice time. So, I'm headed to the range sunday for a jumbo bucket of balls, which is over 200 plus balls for 20 bucks. There is a chipping and putting green that I use to. I just never know what I should focus my time on. I normally spend two to three hours when I'm at the range between the bucket and green. Any suggestions? I'm one of those ex baseball players. I was a switch hitter but I play right handed. I'm odd For a lefty, I don't like it down and in - so its right handed. On the course I'm sporadic at best. this is normally due to me pulling my head. Once my head is in place though, I strike it well considering not having the 100000s of golf swings under my belt most do. my drives are anywhere from 2 meter dribblers to 270+ meter bombs. But, I avg 250 meters in the air on 60% of my drives - the range ends on an 10 foot incline at 250 meters which I normally pelt or hit over. then I get a lot these low line drives at around 200 meters I don't want 30% and the wtf the other 10% After the driver I may hit my rescue club a while. normally straight low and around 200 meters with the occasional snap hook. I hit everything off the grass minus the driver btw. then ill switch to my 7 I hit around 150 meters at 3/4 power. then to the 9 ill float 120-130 at 3/4 meters. finally my pitching wedge ill hit at the 100 meter mark at 3/4 power before going to the chipping green to mess with the sand wedge and putter. It's my birthday in a week and ill be adding a 60 degree this Sunday. now my irons are around the target 30% of the time the majority though I'm always left, right or behind by 15-20 meters. not because of slices or hooks but aim idk. I will have the ocassional snap hooks, bad angled, dirt catching bs shots and dribblers . my putting is atrocious. 2-4 puts is the norm it seems. I misread greens constantly and I'm not sure how to improve this or what i can do to be more consistent overall with all my clubs I mean I was up by 10 shots with two holes to play and I ended up coughing up a tie. Ill be on the green in two and walk away with double and triples. ill drop a 12 every now and then too. there's normally one to two double diget holes on my score card does anyone have home exercises I could do too to help? any suggestions? thanks

Originally Posted by APrince

sorry theyre on the metric system here. for those like myself, 100 meters equates to roughly 109 yards

Given your a 100 handicap. I'd recommend working on your flop shots around the green, drawing and fading shots into pins, hitting 3 woods out of fairway bunkers and adding spin to your wedge shots. You seem to have a pretty strong grasp on the basics so these things should take your game to the next level

First off, welcome to TST.

Second, I strongly recommend taking a few lessons. Going to the range and pounding 200+ balls isn't going to get you very far if you don't have specific things to work on. And I don't mean "hitting my 7 iron better". I mean specific things within the swing, i.e. set up, takeaway, weight distribution, etc. A few lessons will help you identify what your areas to work on are, and the instructor will be able to teach you some drills to practice.

Third, feel free to post a video of your swing in the Member Swings portion of the site . That way, we can see what your swing looks like and might be able to provide some advice.

Finally, I highly, highly recommend you check out the 5 Simple Keys videos here . These guys do a great job breaking the swing down into 5 specific things that you can work on.

Hope this helps.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have been told to start with the wedges and drive towards the end. It really sounds like you have a really good swing, judging by your distances. So, all you need is to get the 60% up to 90% or better. I was told by my coach that the setup is really critical, and you could focus more on body position and ball position until you find a good combination. When you find this combination stick with it and get it into muscle memory.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

First off, welcome to TST.  Second, I strongly recommend taking a few lessons. Going to the range and pounding 200+ balls isn't going to get you very far if you don't have specific things to work on. And I don't mean "hitting my 7 iron better". I mean specific things within the swing, i.e. set up, takeaway, weight distribution, etc. A few lessons will help you identify what your areas to work on are, and the instructor will be able to teach you some drills to practice.  Third, feel free to [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/4180]post a video of your swing in the Member Swings portion of the site[/URL]. That way, we can see what your swing looks like and might be able to provide some advice.  Finally, I highly, highly recommend you [URL=http://purestrike5sk.com/videos.php]check out the 5 Simple Keys videos here[/URL]. These guys do a great job breaking the swing down into 5 specific things that you can work on. Hope this helps.

Thanks for posting these videos. I have never seen these in the 11 months I have been blogging here :-\).

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Originally Posted by kw purp

Given your a 100 handicap. I'd recommend working on your flop shots around the green, drawing and fading shots into pins, hitting 3 woods out of fairway bunkers and adding spin to your wedge shots. You seem to have a pretty strong grasp on the basics so these things should take your game to the next level

thanks for the replys peeps.

@ kw , Im not good at adding, averaging and then multiplying decimals - 100 seems made up enough and better than some low skewed number I may fib about right.

I'd like to work on spins, fades and draws, I think about it in my head all the time. I just dont feel comfortable and consistent enough with my basic play to even attempt those - one day.

I really don't hit the 3 wood - it is actually old and made of wood. Rather, I use my rescue club since I get about the same distance.

@geauxforbroke , thanks for the link to the videos. Youre right, a lesson would be helpful, but, I just dont have the extra cash unless I dont want to spend time practicing or playing. I know in the long run that missing a few days at the range may be beneficial for my game. However,  missing what little time I do get playing isnt beneficial for my mind and soul (if i miss a few days its technically a few weeks not playing). Game wise though, it would be nice to have some focus on what I should be working on rather than just going out there chopping wood and raking leaves - it's probably why i came here to this forum to look for advice i dont have to pay for. Lessons at the local are $40 bucks for just 30 minutes. That is roughly 6 hours of golf practice by myself or 3 hours and money towards a round.

Australia costs too much, plus a new child etc and Im trying to save for a new driver which will be several months - unless i look for something cheap cheap like i have. The 60 degree im getting sunday is cheap, but, I'm just grateful for a new club. I did see some lower cost drivers on overstock and may have to look at shipping costs. Anyway, The driver I currently have is offset and Im wondering if it's causing some of the snap hooks. Ive never hit with an offset prior to owning this one but it's all i have and im working with what i have. Im not sure how much it affects my swing since Im left and right of targets with the driver as much as I am with my irons. I generally hit straight even if its left or right. Like i said i get the occasional snap hook and Ill push irons every now and again on the course.

I did like the head movement video, I'll try and see if that helps. i know I pull my head up too early at times. im just not sure if im moving it back during my back swing, i'll definitely make a note of that.

I tried tinkering with my swing a couple of months ago and it brought pain to an old rotator cuff injury that ended my baseball dreams, plus it brought back an old slice that use to plague me. What I was doing was watching slow mo videos of woods, els, etc. and I was trying to copy their left arm. It seems like their left arm is completely straight, while my left arm has a tiny bend at the top of my back swing. the more i tried to keep it completely straight the more pressure i seemed to create on my left shoulder. I had to stop swinging for a month for the pain to completely subside. Maybe they have a slight bend too, im not sure?!? i just know i cant lock my left arm completely now.

@Lihu

Ive always hit the driver first, idk why. I will check to see how my body position and ball position are and how consistent i am with that - thanks.

Note: This thread is 3918 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!